2015 SEO Corporate Law Applicants Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Result

Accepted NYC
44%
Accepted DC
11%
Accepted LA/SF
6%
Accepted Dallas/Houston
6%
Interview, awaiting
19%
interview, denied
8%
no interview
6%

Total votes: 36

Alhe5015

New

Re: 2015 SEO Corporate Law Applicants

Post by Alhe5015 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:33 pm

Still cant access the courses BUT i did just get a call from my firm

swaggn

New

Post by swaggn » Tue May 05, 2015 6:02 pm

DiniMae wrote:
90convoy wrote:my firm called yesterday btw
My firm's first communication was via email.
My firm placement came from SEO in an email, and my first contact with the firm was via phone.

Hat.trick

Bronze

Post by Hat.trick » Wed May 06, 2015 1:22 pm

I applied and submitted my intent to enroll (Harvard doesnt do seat deposits) back in January but i have not recieved any sort of confirmation or emails from them in general. Did this happen to anyone else?

steven21

New

Post by steven21 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:36 pm

Just got the ding

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Wed May 06, 2015 9:48 pm

Got the ding this week as well. Probably means I sucked harder in interviews than previously estimated, but I'm still glad to have gotten the news relatively early.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! :P

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Thu May 07, 2015 3:49 pm

I was dinged. Not too dissapointed since I would have had to decline anyway.

Just waiting on the Vinson and Elkins Law Preview Scholar application.

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Mon May 11, 2015 11:36 am

Sorry to hear about the dings:(

Everyone should start the homework assignments pretty soon, they're no quick assignment

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Mon May 11, 2015 12:18 pm

Atmosphere wrote:Sorry to hear about the dings:(

Everyone should start the homework assignments pretty soon, they're no quick assignment
Yeah, I just looked at it today and if you dont have much of a finance background, (me) you better start asap lol

severeclear

New

Post by severeclear » Mon May 11, 2015 12:53 pm

I haven't gotten any of the online assignments...were they sent via email? How long after receiving your acceptance were you able to access them?

Mecca

New

Post by Mecca » Mon May 11, 2015 5:41 pm

Am I the only one who has received a firm placement but hasn't heard from their firm? :|

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:09 am

Mecca wrote:Am I the only one who has received a firm placement but hasn't heard from their firm? :|
The answer to this will obviously be no. Firms can sometimes drag butt on stuff and sorting out SEOs is gonna take a backseat to finalizing logistics with their regular summer associates.

You have your placement, you know what you need to do from here. The rest will sort itself out and you should just work on the assignments (which are a huge freaking to do), prep your kidneys for the summer, and check the Michelin guide for the city you're in. \

maroon175

Bronze

Post by maroon175 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:04 am

Mecca wrote:Am I the only one who has received a firm placement but hasn't heard from their firm? :|
I'm also still waiting to hear back from my firm!

BKallDAY

New

Post by BKallDAY » Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 am

Hey - crunch has a pretty good summer offer and lots of locations. Its a good nyc gym, with classes but not crazy equinox prices. its under $200 for the whole summer.
subtle wrote:
90convoy wrote:This may sound dumb, but has anyone thought about a gym membership? Working out is very important to me and I'm wondering if anyone has thought about this. Will we have time? Lol gotta keep getting my gains know what I mean??

Also if anyone knows of any cheap gyms in the NYU area please post!
Work out. If you do not, you will gain weight. Make time for it.

JamaicanSaiyan8

New

Post by JamaicanSaiyan8 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:34 pm

BKallDAY wrote:Hey - crunch has a pretty good summer offer and lots of locations. Its a good nyc gym, with classes but not crazy equinox prices. its under $200 for the whole summer.
subtle wrote:
90convoy wrote:This may sound dumb, but has anyone thought about a gym membership? Working out is very important to me and I'm wondering if anyone has thought about this. Will we have time? Lol gotta keep getting my gains know what I mean??

Lately I've been seeing NY Sports Club advertise that monthly membership is 19.95 or something. I haven't been able to check it out as yet but it's worth taking a look, esp Bc their facilities are great.

http://wellandgood.com/2015/03/18/new-y ... mberships/

goldenbear92

New

Post by goldenbear92 » Tue May 12, 2015 4:11 pm

For those outside of NY, anyone know how to go about booking a flight back from NYC to our firm location? My firm shared info on the subject matter concerning summer associates so I assume it also applies for me? Cheers

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:20 pm

JamaicanSaiyan8 wrote:
BKallDAY wrote:Hey - crunch has a pretty good summer offer and lots of locations. Its a good nyc gym, with classes but not crazy equinox prices. its under $200 for the whole summer.
subtle wrote:

Lately I've been seeing NY Sports Club advertise that monthly membership is 19.95 or something. I haven't been able to check it out as yet but it's worth taking a look, esp Bc their facilities are great.

Most of the firms will cover some amount of your gym membership. My SEO firm covered up to $150 on a membership when I was an SEO (but full Equinox membership when I was a summer), but others covered the full cost. The firms treat you like one of their employees, be that a paralegal-ish thing, or no different than any other summer associate. Depending on their classification, you'll get a different deal. FWIW, Equinox has incredible classes basically all day, tons of clean equipment, lots of nice extra stuff, and is very affordable when you combine the salary with a firm discount. That said, pick whatever gym is close to the office or your apartment. I worked out at Equinox and then showered there and went to work down the block. That may/may not work for you.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:21 pm

goldenbear92 wrote:For those outside of NY, anyone know how to go about booking a flight back from NYC to our firm location? My firm shared info on the subject matter concerning summer associates so I assume it also applies for me? Cheers
Whatever the firm told you to do, do it. Firms usually have billing codes for bringing summers to them through the firm's travel agency of choice, so you probably won't even have to pay for it.

Also, DC SEOs: A few of the SEO c/o 2013 ppl will be in DC this summer and we'd love to chill with you guys. PM me if you'd be interested.

Itstatertot

Bronze

Post by Itstatertot » Tue May 12, 2015 9:26 pm

txdude45 wrote:
JamaicanSaiyan8 wrote:
subtle wrote:

Most of the firms will cover some amount of your gym membership. My SEO firm covered up to $150 on a membership when I was an SEO (but full Equinox membership when I was a summer), but others covered the full cost. The firms treat you like one of their employees, be that a paralegal-ish thing, or no different than any other summer associate. Depending on their classification, you'll get a different deal. FWIW, Equinox has incredible classes basically all day, tons of clean equipment, lots of nice extra stuff, and is very affordable when you combine the salary with a firm discount. That said, pick whatever gym is close to the office or your apartment. I worked out at Equinox and then showered there and went to work down the block. That may/may not work for you.
How did you go about having the firm cover part of your membership?

goldenbear92

New

Post by goldenbear92 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:35 pm

txdude45 wrote:
goldenbear92 wrote:For those outside of NY, anyone know how to go about booking a flight back from NYC to our firm location? My firm shared info on the subject matter concerning summer associates so I assume it also applies for me? Cheers
Whatever the firm told you to do, do it. Firms usually have billing codes for bringing summers to them through the firm's travel agency of choice, so you probably won't even have to pay for it.

Also, DC SEOs: A few of the SEO c/o 2013 ppl will be in DC this summer and we'd love to chill with you guys. PM me if you'd be interested.
Good looking out homie!

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:48 pm

Itstatertot wrote:
How did you go about having the firm cover part of your membership?
In the welcome packet/folder you'll get on your first day with all your forms, there is usually a page about the ins and outs of the firm's gym policy. Some reimburse, some just get directly billed. For my firm, it was as easy as calling Equinox and them setting me up. Only took 15 minutes and a scanned form.

upupandaway

New

Post by upupandaway » Wed May 13, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker just dropping in to say hi and congrats to everyone! I'll be in the program this year and am placed in DC for the summer -- would love to meet up with the current and past DC SEOs!

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Wed May 13, 2015 11:26 pm

txdude45 wrote:

Haven't spoken with any NYC SEOs, but I'm definitely down to meet y'all, and I'm sure others will be as well (although, I'm sure the program will do something for everyone).

PM me if interested, and I can create a FB event.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Fri May 15, 2015 1:10 pm

What is everyone doing about heath care?

albpert

New

Post by albpert » Fri May 15, 2015 1:32 pm

DiniMae wrote:What is everyone doing about heath care?
Cursing those who don't support single-payer, you?

Alhe5015

New

Post by Alhe5015 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:43 pm

DiniMae wrote:What is everyone doing about heath care?
Driving to the closest VA and probably waiting 12 hours just to see a PA

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”