URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Mojosodope

Silver

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by Mojosodope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:02 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:As shitty as all of that story was, it was pretty funny that she mentioned affirmative action at one of the few schools where it's expressly not allowed.
I have attracted a lot of racism in my young life for whatever reason.

When I was applying to undergrad, this clerk (a White woman) at my high school was trying to sabotage my application to where I ultimately graduated from. I didn't realize it at the time until later on what she was trying to do to me.

During my senior year in high school, I was focused on varsity basketball, so I didn't end up applying to schools until January. This clerk intentionally kept sending unofficial transcripts to my undergrad college. One time, she didn't sign the transcript, which makes it unofficial. One time, she didn't put the seal of my high school, which makes it unofficial. One time, she didn't put the class rank on my transcript, which makes it unofficial. Finally, I got my transcript and made sure everything was right and I mailed it myself. I didn't mail this transcript until late spring of my senior year. I didn't get admitted to my undergrad until June-- two months before school was set to start. I visited my undergrad during the summer and attended two months later that August.

About a year or two after this occured, I visited my high school during the summer. I was sitting in the principal's office and that clerk lady was sitting there. So the principal proceeds to ask me what I ended up doing after high school. I said, "I am at such and such college and am studying such and such major." As soon as I said that, that clerk's head snaps up and stares at me. Her acts of attempted sabotage hadn't worked and she was pissed.
Where the hell are you from? I've experienced racism but nobody has ever tried to sabotage me
Last edited by Mojosodope on Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:02 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Okaygo, you might consider applying for GWU's early decision which comes with a full ride. GWU isn't a bad school by any stretch, even if you cut out a majority of school funded jobs, that's still on par with/better than other top 20 schools like USC, WUSTL or Vanderbilt. If you play your cards right, you could graduate completely debt-free from a very solid institution.
Valid point. I have literally never considered applying ED anywhere. Worst case scenario is they move me to RD, right?

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:03 pm

okaygo wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
What was your LSAT?
A 3.2/162 African female landed Columbia last year.

A 3.6/158 then 163 AA male landed Stanford, NYU, and Columbia last year. He's attending NYU on full scholly now.

Please apply.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:05 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
okaygo wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
What was your LSAT?

A 3.6/158 then 163 AA male landed Stanford, NYU, and Columbia last year. He's attending NYU on full scholly now.

Please apply.
Okay. I'm a 3.6/162 AA Female. So I shouldn't be quite as pessimistic as I feel right now?

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:06 pm

okaygo wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
okaygo wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
What was your LSAT?

Please apply.
Okay. I'm a 3.6/162 AA Female. So I shouldn't be quite as pessimistic as I feel right now?
You'll get at least 1 T6 assuming you have no legal problems or application problems.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:07 pm

okaygo wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
okaygo wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
What was your LSAT?

Please apply.
Correct. Mark my word, you're getting into at least one T6 barring some crazy C&F issue or crappy statement. Hell, even Harvard is a possibility. Shoot for the stars hun!

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:As shitty as all of that story was, it was pretty funny that she mentioned affirmative action at one of the few schools where it's expressly not allowed.

When I was applying to undergrad, this clerk (a White woman) at my high school was trying to sabotage my application to where I ultimately graduated from. I didn't realize it at the time until later on what she was trying to do to me.

During my senior year in high school, I was focused on varsity basketball, so I didn't end up applying to schools until January. This clerk intentionally kept sending unofficial transcripts to my undergrad college. One time, she didn't sign the transcript, which makes it unofficial. One time, she didn't put the seal of my high school, which makes it unofficial. One time, she didn't put the class rank on my transcript, which makes it unofficial. Finally, I got my transcript and made sure everything was right and I mailed it myself. I didn't mail this transcript until late spring of my senior year. I didn't get admitted to my undergrad until June-- two months before school was set to start. I visited my undergrad during the summer and attended two months later that August.

About a year or two after this occured, I visited my high school during the summer. I was sitting in the principal's office and that clerk lady was sitting there. So the principal proceeds to ask me what I ended up doing after high school. I said, "I am at such and such college and am studying such and such major." As soon as I said that, that clerk's head snaps up and stares at me. Her acts of attempted sabotage hadn't worked and she was pissed.
Where the hell are you from? I've experienced racism but nobody has ever tried to sabotage me
Texas.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:10 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
okaygo wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
okaygo wrote:

Please apply.
Correct. Mark my word, you're getting into at least one T6 barring some crazy C&F issue or crappy statement. Hell, even Harvard is a possibility. Shoot for the stars hun!
But isn't she worried about $$? She'll get less from the T6

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:11 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

Texas.
And your ass wants to stay in the South?

I'd be out forever

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:11 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote: Texas.
Texas seems TTT for a non-Mexican minority. I'd never want to live there.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:12 pm

okaygo wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
What was your LSAT?
XXX.
If you really are dead set on DC then Twenty's suggestion of EDing GWU for the scholarship isn't a bad idea at all. If you wanted to apply more widely then MyLSN seems to suggest that Duke would give you some money.

Also I feel obligated to state that an extra 2-4 points on your LSAT could completely change this conversation. The mid-160s seems to be a benchmark of sorts for AAs in the t14.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Mojosodope wrote:But isn't she worried about $$? She'll get less from the T6
True, except for NYU. She has a shot with decent money there.

I would still advise against applying anywhere ED given the unpredictability of our cycles.

Okaygo, is there anywhere you would attend at sticker price?

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:18 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:But isn't she worried about $$? She'll get less from the T6
True, except for NYU. She has a shot with decent money there.

I would still advise against applying anywhere ED given the unpredictability of our cycles.

Okaygo, is there anywhere you would attend at sticker price?
Literally nowhere. I can't even fathom that form of debt. I mean maybe HLS. But other than that? I can't see it.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:20 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
okaygo wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
What was your LSAT?
XXX.
If you really are dead set on DC then Twenty's suggestion of EDing GWU for the scholarship isn't a bad idea at all. If you wanted to apply more widely then MyLSN seems to suggest that Duke would give you some money.

Also I feel obligated to state that an extra 2-4 points on your LSAT could completely change this conversation. The mid-160s seems to be a benchmark of sorts for AAs in the t14.

Yeah, I thought about retaking today. But I honestly think I maxed out. I scored in my target range, and this came from a diagnostic in high 130s and 8 months of TLS approved study habits. Plus, my first take in June was a 155 so I think this is as good as I'm going to get.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:23 pm

okaygo wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
okaygo wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
What was your LSAT?
XXX.

Yeah, I thought about retaking today. But I honestly think I maxed out. I scored in my target range, and this came from a diagnostic in high 130s and 8 months of TLS approved study habits. Plus, my first take in June was a 155 so I think this is as good as I'm going to get.
You wouldn't consider Columbia at sticker? What do you want to do with your JD?

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:23 pm

californiauser wrote:
okaygo wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
okaygo wrote:
XXX.

You wouldn't consider Columbia at sticker? What do you want to do with your JD?
I wouldn't consider Columbia at sticker...thats way too much debt

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
californiauser wrote: I wouldn't consider Columbia at sticker...thats way too much debt
What's the most you'd pay for a non-HYS JD? 250k? 230k? 200K Less?

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:30 pm

californiauser wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
californiauser wrote: I wouldn't consider Columbia at sticker...thats way too much debt
Less. Wouldnt go if I didn't get at least a half scholly. So whats that 130k of debt then

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:43 pm

Just went -6 on a LR section... missing 3 of the first four questions. The fuck.... dumbest mistakes I've ever made. So pissed.... :roll: better stupid, idiot mistakes, rather than not understanding... bright side I guess

EvMont

Bronze

Post by EvMont » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
californiauser wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
Less. Wouldnt go if I didn't get at least a half scholly. So whats that 130k of debt then
To clarify: does that mean the only acceptances you'll consider are HYS or nonHYS w/ at least half scholly?

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Mojosodope wrote: And your ass wants to stay in the South?

I'd be out forever
Texas isn't anything like "the South".
bizzybone1313 wrote: Texas.
You GOTTA be from Houston, because I've never heard of anything like that in Dallas/Austin.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:11 pm

I'm always pleasantly surprised when I hear 0Ls talking about debt as their big concern when attending top law schools.

Anyway. Yeah, if you don't get ED at GWU, you'll undoubtedly have a significantly better shot of money coming out of RD. That said, I'm only recommending this because you seem like you'd rather stay in DC for free with a good chance of a decent job than go far away for a lot of money for a guarantee of a biglaw.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:18 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:I'm always pleasantly surprised when I hear 0Ls talking about debt as their big concern when attending top law schools.

Anyway. Yeah, if you don't get ED at GWU, you'll undoubtedly have a significantly better shot of money coming out of RD. That said, I'm only recommending this because you seem like you'd rather stay in DC for free with a good chance of a decent job than go far away for a lot of money for a guarantee of a biglaw.
Also the only time I would suggest an URM ED somewhere.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:35 pm

EvMont wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
californiauser wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
To clarify: does that mean the only acceptances you'll consider are HYS or nonHYS w/ at least half scholly?
Any non HYS that I would end up needing 130k in loans would probably not be taken seriously.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:36 pm

i missed you guys Image

i've just finished catching up on what y'all have been talking about... i didn't know GW gave full-tuition schollys for people who ED! that's good to know as a fallback..

can anyone speak about how much debt is generally considered an acceptable amount?

For instance, my brother is getting $15K total from Chicago so he will probably graduate with $225K in debt. He seems to think that this is alright because he wants biglaw, but if I want to be a US attorney (which doesn't pay too well), it doesn't make sense to have that much debt, right? Or does it not really matter because of LRAP?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”