URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mandyjay11

Silver

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by mandyjay11 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:57 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:I'm still saying LSAT.

I'm in a pretty unique situation w/r/t that wait though, I think. I studied and made my list of target schools before I had ever heard of TLS. I only discovered it through the Oct LSAT waiting thread (I was one of the ~735 lurkers, lol), and in that month I learned SO MUCH that it pretty much turned my notion of how to go about law school applications on its head. Suddenly, I learned my target schools were wrong (and despite my low GPA I could reach higher because of the urm boost), my chances of gainful employment hinged on what school I went to, AND that admissions is 95% a numbers game. I'd only studied for the LSAT for like 2.5 months--and that was pretty casually. So every day I just got more and more anxious because I might have royally fucked up my chances at a good school and the career I wanted. It was miserable. When the icons finally went grey, I gave my mom my phone so I couldn't check my email every minute and got drunk, I was so nervous. Clearly it all worked out, but I can't imagine admissions will even come close to being that bad, because at least now I know what I'm getting into.
You also have a 179, so your admissions wait doesn't count.
Lol +1. You are pretty much waiting to see what school is a better acceptance letter/package presentation.

DPhoenix

New

Post by DPhoenix » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:00 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:You studied casually and got a 179?!??!
Exactly what I was thinking when I read that.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:00 pm

midnight_circus wrote:I'm still saying LSAT.

I'm in a pretty unique situation w/r/t that wait though, I think. I studied and made my list of target schools before I had ever heard of TLS. I only discovered it through the Oct LSAT waiting thread (I was one of the ~735 lurkers, lol), and in that month I learned SO MUCH that it pretty much turned my notion of how to go about law school applications on its head. Suddenly, I learned my target schools were wrong (and despite my low GPA I could reach higher because of the urm boost), my chances of gainful employment hinged on what school I went to, AND that admissions is 95% a numbers game. I'd only studied for the LSAT for like 2.5 months--and that was pretty casually. So every day I just got more and more anxious because I might have royally fucked up my chances at a good school and the career I wanted. It was miserable. When the icons finally went grey, I gave my mom my phone so I couldn't check my email every minute and got drunk, I was so nervous. Clearly it all worked out, but I can't imagine admissions will even come close to being that bad, because at least now I know what I'm getting into.
I didn't even look at my LSAT score until about two weeks after it posted. I was so nervous when I received that email on my phone I just deleted it without looking. It took encouragement from my foster dad to get me to actually look at my score two weeks later. So I understand the part about wanting something so bad. Its like you said the test can ultimately make or break your career before it starts. But then I realized that their are people who learned the art of the hustle and didn't need T-14 law schools to become successful. But some would equate that with us not being in rough economic times.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:00 pm

DPhoenix wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking when I read that.
She's wifey material.

I casually cooked dinner = 5 course meal

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Wait you studied only casually and received a 179. Can I please have your study methods ASAP!!! lol.

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Mojosodope wrote:You also have a 179, so your admissions wait doesn't count.
Still a splitter, so the anxiety is still there. They could totally take a 3.9 with a low LSAT over me, and that would be reasonable.
Yes? But I had kinda been "preparing" for a long time. I mean, I'm extremely familiar with the rules of formal logic and how to make valid deductions from my pretty extensive philosophy (& computer science, which is surprisingly helpful) background, so when I started working through a prep book I already had the foundations. More importantly, I'd been playing logic games since I was a little kid. You can buy books full of them--not designed for LSAT prep, but the exact same types of games--and I used to do them for fun on car rides and during study hall and stuff. I find them genuinely enjoyable, so I knew the strategy and they didn't stress me out at all. Time was the only new challenge. Since reading comp has always been my strongest academic skill, my formal studying was just geared toward working out the time and learning the tricks of the test.

All that to say, I felt good about it going in, but I still would have prepped way harder had I fully understood how much was riding on the exam.
Mojosodope wrote:
She's wifey material.

LOL. Surprisingly, also true. Not about the wifey material necessarily, but about dinner. I LOVE cooking & baking. Feeding people makes me happy. :D :D

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:15 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
Still a splitter, so the anxiety is still there. They could totally take a 3.9 with a low LSAT over me, and that would be reasonable.
Yes? But I had kinda been "preparing" for a long time. I mean, I'm extremely familiar with the rules of formal logic and how to make valid deductions from my pretty extensive philosophy (& computer science, which is surprisingly helpful) background, so when I started working through a prep book I already had the foundations. More importantly, I'd been playing logic games since I was a little kid. You can buy books full of them--not designed for LSAT prep, but the exact same types of games--and I used to do them for fun on car rides and during study hall and stuff. I find them genuinely enjoyable, so I knew the strategy and they didn't stress me out at all. Time was the only new challenge. Since reading comp has always been my strongest academic skill, my formal studying was just geared toward working out the time and learning the tricks of the test.

All that to say, I felt good about it going in, but I still would have prepped way harder had I fully understood how much was riding on the exam.
Mojosodope wrote:
She's wifey material.

LOL. Surprisingly, also true. Not about the wifey material necessarily, but about dinner. I LOVE cooking & baking. Feeding people makes me happy. :D :D
I don't believe you have anything to worry about. I see you enjoying your time in New Haven when August comes around if you applied to Yale which I hope you did in your case. I believe its much easier to find someone with a high GPA as opposed to that high of an LSAT Score. That is a big deal to score a 179.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:17 pm

midnight_circus wrote:

What's your GPA? Regardless I'm sure no school is willing to pass up 179 AA female. And you're a computer science major?!?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Only on TLS does 179/3.5 + URM status give cause for anxiety. :D

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Right now my LSAC is actually 3.45. But there are 2 huge errors with my senior grades that I'm petitioning to get fixed. Although I don't think it'll go above 3.6

Not a CS major. I actually decided at the last minute not to finish the minor--I would have had to take extra time because of my poor scheduling. I won't be able to pass the patent bar or anything, but that's why I want to work with tech companies. I love what they do. :)

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:32 pm

midnight_circus wrote:Right now my LSAC is actually 3.45. But there are 2 huge errors with my senior grades that I'm petitioning to get fixed. Although I don't think it'll go above 3.6

Not a CS major. I actually decided at the last minute not to finish the minor--I would have had to take extra time because of my poor scheduling. I won't be able to pass the patent bar or anything, but that's why I want to work with tech companies. I love what they do. :)
Some times I wish I would have changed my major to Computer Science or one of the Engineering Fields since I wanted to in fact take the Patent Bar and break into the Intellectual Property Field. I did Mechanical Engineering in High School and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not saying that it would have been the equivalent. But I should have at least tried.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:33 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
AND you cook... you ARE wifey material honey! Teach me your waysss!!

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:37 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:
+1

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:
I say we have a TLS food party and Midnight can cater. and +1 I am in agreement with Mandy. You are smart and can cook. Most definitely wifey material.

EstebanMFernandez

New

Post by EstebanMFernandez » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Just finished my apps. Gonna relax and enjoy some recreational activities I haven't done in a while.

Anyone here have there LSAT cancelled yesterday because of the white stuff that falls from the sky?

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:40 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:
Well if we end up at the same school, we can all cook in our tiny apartments together! It'll be fun.
I agree with smart = spouse material, but I'm pretty dubious about high LSAT = spouse material. marrying a lawyer sounds like a terrible idea. I hope my future spouse disagrees, but I'm gunning for an engineer myself. :lol:

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:40 pm

shoooooot 179 lol.. I wouldn't even write a personal statement. It would just say "The" "the end" ..... lol well maybe not that short

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:41 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:
Well if we end up at the same school, we can all cook in our tiny apartments together! It'll be fun.
I agree with smart = spouse material, but I'm pretty dubious about high LSAT = spouse material. Marrying a lawyer sounds like a terrible idea. I hope my future spouse disagrees, but I'm gunning for an engineer myself. :lol:
Yes, please to that cooking idea!

I was going to open up a discussion about dating/marriage as lawyers. Like, are we all trying to marry people in professions with similar prestige or higher?

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:43 pm

toshiroh wrote:shoooooot 179 lol.. I wouldn't even write a personal statement. It would just say "The" "the end" ..... lol well maybe not that short
+1 No more needs to be said after that score lol. I wouldn't even write a Diversity Statement. I would say I am Diversity I bring a 179 to the table.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:47 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:
I agree with smart = spouse material, but I'm pretty dubious about high LSAT = spouse material. Marrying a lawyer sounds like a terrible idea. I hope my future spouse disagrees, but I'm gunning for an engineer myself. :lol:

I was going to open up a discussion about dating/marriage as lawyers. Like, are we all trying to marry people in professions with similar prestige or higher?
I just need a chick thats comfortable with herself, will keep me in check, and is fairly intelligent.

Professional prestige has no relevance when it comes to being happy with another person

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Mojosodope wrote: I just need a chick thats comfortable with herself, will keep me in check, and is fairly intelligent.

Professional prestige has no relevance when it comes to being happy with another person
I guess my concern is with being the "Bread winner" and how that plays into the dynamic of the relationship. So, if I fell in love with a guy who was a janitor and had no college education but is "fairly intelligent" then I shouldnt think twice about marrying him based on the financial aspect? I really dont know, which is why I am asking.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:52 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote: I just need a chick thats comfortable with herself, will keep me in check, and is fairly intelligent.

I guess my concern is with being the "Bread winner" and how that plays into the dynamic of the relationship. So, if I fell in love with a guy who was a janitor and had no college education but is "fairly intelligent" then I shouldnt think twice about marrying him based on the financial aspect? I really dont know, which is why I am asking.
I think this article is relevant to your question.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/us/wa ... pw&rref=us

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:56 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

It's not about the prestige so much, for me. I do want to marry someone drop-dead brilliant, because that's damn sexy, but they don't need to be doctors/lawyers/bankers/business execs/whatever other "high prestige" careers. In theory, I'm cool with a teacher, artist, whatever.
Practically speaking, I wouldn't want a lawyer because 1) we'd be competing for work/recognition in the same field, which could be bad for a relationship and 2) terrible hours would make the relationship a struggle, esp. with kids.
I say I'm gunning for an engineer because 1) over the past four years in school they are, almost exclusively, the people I've found attractive and wanted to date, in part because 2) I am a huge geek, so they tend to appreciate me more. 3) Software engineers at least tend to have flexible hours, so we can manage kids more effectively, 4) They have a high-paying profession, so if I choose to leave biglaw and take a paycut, it isn't such a big deal, and 5) they can help those hypothetical kids with their math homework, because I don't want to.
But I'm not so calculating IRL. I'll date and marry who I love, not based on their profession.

But @mandy, I will have an ironclad prenup before I marry a janitor, that's for damn sure.
ThePiedPiper wrote:
toshiroh wrote:shoooooot 179 lol.. I wouldn't even write a personal statement. It would just say "The" "the end" ..... lol well maybe not that short
+1 No more needs to be said after that score lol. I wouldn't even write a Diversity Statement. I would say I am Diversity I bring a 179 to the table.
You guys are trying to get me dinged for arrogance. It isn't going to work. :p

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:57 pm

Is it okay to put an interest in PI in my personal statement even if the particular school or schools I'm applying to isn't particularly known for PI. I ask because, all my work experience, community outreach, etc. looks like a lead to PI and that's the only way I know how to tie everything back to Law in My personal statement.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:59 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

I just refuse to make my decision based on that. What if you fell in love with a teacher? You'd make a lot more than them, and its not like they aren't hard working.

I don't understand your question, your going to be the "bread winner" in most cases unless you marry a doctor, lawyer, someone on wall street etc... but there are other interesting people out there that can't just be denied automatically because they chose a different path

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”