LOCI help

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Dmini7

Silver

LOCI help

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Hey guys, so I was recently wait listed at my top choice, and I was curious what the consensus was for when to send in a LOCI. I want to acknowledge that I received it and state my continued interest, but I feel it's too soon for them to remember I am still interested when they go back to the wait listed candidates. Also, I have researched the schools info, and wasn't sure what to really say in the letter. They don't do campus visits/interviews, but should I still ask, or would that make me seem ignorant? I feel there is a fine line between expressing interest and coming off desperate, and I don't want to do the latter. Furthermore, should I update my resume and see if they want it? I have a strong upward trend in grades, along with picking up a internship at the local zoo/aquarium that I do for 30hoirs a week. Are updates to resumes welcomed?

I asked the Urm forum since you guys are the best :) haha, I feel I have bonded with you all, and was unsure if doing a loci is different for URMs (hope I didn't have too many typos on my iPad)

eerie_erie

Bronze

Re: LOCI help

Postby eerie_erie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:36 am

I wouldn't ask any questions that have answers available from a public source. You could try talking to current students (do they have any student emails posted on the student organizations page?) to get better insight into the school. I don't see why it would hurt you to inform them of positive news, though maybe a LOCI is a more appropriate method than an entirely new resume. I think with grades they want to see confirmation, so an updated transcript would be good.

Caveat: I have never written a LOCI before, but I imagine if this is your top choice, pulling out all the (reasonable) stops would be a good idea. Law school is a big life decision so it is best for you to end up where you want to be if at all possible!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum�