Need vs Merit based fee waiver

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

Need vs Merit based fee waiver

Postby UMich11 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:31 pm

So i received a number of Merit based fee waivers but i also applied for, and received a ton of Need based fee waivers. Since i am not an URM or a 1st gen college student, do any schools take into account that you have applied for a need based waiver and received one? I wrote an essay about what has caused the economic challenges in my life and sent them to all the schools as well, but i was curious if the need based fee waiver part helps at all. If you look at my resume, where i went to school, where i grew up, the sports i play and my current job you wouldn't be able to tell my past/current financial hardship so i felt the need to elaborate in an Addendum.

There is always a section for Race, but nothing about your background - since the PS is where you'd likely articulate this. Just kind of a thought.

Re: Need vs Merit based fee waiver

Postby Anonimo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:25 am

They take into account everything. The question is how much importance will they assigned to the economics hardships you have faced; my guess is not as much as you just being an URM (which you're not).

Re: Need vs Merit based fee waiver

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:30 am

For anyone wishing to contribute to this thread, it is now here

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”