Urgent-need advice!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ena
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Urgent-need advice!

Postby ena » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:10 pm

This is my current situation I have B.S (GPA 3.0) and M.S. (GPA 4.0). My goal is to go into patent law. I would like to get into one of the top 50(60) schools. However, I have been practicing and my median LSAT score is 156-157. I realize that with my undergrad GPA and this LSAT score my chances are slim. I am registered for Saturday's LSAT and I don't know wether to take it and just hope that I will do better than my average? Or should I just cancel, study some more, take LSAT June and apply next cycle.

Please help!

What would you do?

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Urgent-need advice!

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 pm

ena wrote:This is my current situation I have B.S (GPA 3.0) and M.S. (GPA 4.0). My goal is to go into patent law. I would like to get into one of the top 50(60) schools. However, I have been practicing and my median LSAT score is 156-157. I realize that with my undergrad GPA and this LSAT score my chances are slim. I am registered for Saturday's LSAT and I don't know wether to take it and just hope that I will do better than my average? Or should I just cancel, study some more, take LSAT June and apply next cycle.

Please help!

What would you do?


If you can't get into the schools you would attend with the score range you are likely to get on Saturday, then I would not take the test. I don't know this for sure, but I don't think it is considered a "cancel" if you don't even sit for the test.. someone will have to chime in on that. I would wait until you feel that you are ready to take the test (or are at least somewhat confident that you can meet your target score). Wish I could be of more help!

Manhattanman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

Re: Urgent-need advice!

Postby Manhattanman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:06 pm

Without more information I think you should sit out, study hard, and apply next year. We have the same gpa's btw, both grad and undergrad, and I was in your position last October. I took the test knowing my practice tests weren't as good as I wanted, and I ended up with my practice test average on Oct (159). Luckily, I was averaging 165 on my practice tests by December and that's what I got for Dec. Study hard, find out what mistakes your making and kill the test. If you do well it will lead to a better school or at least save you a ton of money at a lower ranked. Last advantage is if you take it in June you can get your apps in super early, as opposed to this year when you have to wait till late December at the earliest. Im an AA male btw and I worked for the year that I postponed my apps.

ena
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: Urgent-need advice!

Postby ena » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:44 pm

Thank you for your replies.

I am leaning towards not taking the test, mostly because I do not feel fully prepared. BUT, this means I will have to postpone the application process for one year, and that is the only reason why I consider giving it a shot.
I never took LSAT before, so let's say that I take it, don't get lucky (meaning I get my current average score). Then I retake it in June and get the score I need. Do you think that this would hurt my application? Is it worth the risk???

Manhattanman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

Re: Urgent-need advice!

Postby Manhattanman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:52 pm

ena wrote:Thank you for your replies.

I am leaning towards not taking the test, mostly because I do not feel fully prepared. BUT, this means I will have to postpone the application process for one year, and that is the only reason why I consider giving it a shot.
I never took LSAT before, so let's say that I take it, don't get lucky (meaning I get my current average score). Then I retake it in June and get the score I need. Do you think that this would hurt my application? Is it worth the risk???


They take the highest generally. And it doesn't seem to have a negative effect. A poster, I think his name was JustE, did exactly that, but applied both cycles. He struck out his first time applying, got a 166 or 167 the second time and got into a ton of great schools, T6 included, the following year.

Manhattanman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

Re: Urgent-need advice!

Postby Manhattanman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:58 pm

Manhattanman wrote:
ena wrote:Thank you for your replies.

I am leaning towards not taking the test, mostly because I do not feel fully prepared. BUT, this means I will have to postpone the application process for one year, and that is the only reason why I consider giving it a shot.
I never took LSAT before, so let's say that I take it, don't get lucky (meaning I get my current average score). Then I retake it in June and get the score I need. Do you think that this would hurt my application? Is it worth the risk???


They take the highest generally. And it doesn't seem to have a negative effect. A poster, I think his name was JustE, did exactly that, but applied both cycles. He struck out his first time applying, got a 166 or 167 the second time and got into a ton of great schools, T6 included, the following year.


Found the post He went from a 162 to a 166 and his GPA was 3.2. He applied a lot earlier the second time around. He was an AA Male.

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Urgent-need advice!

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:04 am

ena wrote:Thank you for your replies.

I am leaning towards not taking the test, mostly because I do not feel fully prepared. BUT, this means I will have to postpone the application process for one year, and that is the only reason why I consider giving it a shot.
I never took LSAT before, so let's say that I take it, don't get lucky (meaning I get my current average score). Then I retake it in June and get the score I need. Do you think that this would hurt my application? Is it worth the risk???


You could throw a few hail-mary apps using your February score. I've seen a few people post about schools possibly taking later applications because of the decline in applicants. You'll definitely have better options waiting, though.

ena
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: Urgent-need advice!

Postby ena » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:33 am

Manhattanman: Thank you for looking him up. That's really nice of you. However, he got 162 first time around and I would be happy with just 162 in general. Less is more. :)

BlueJeanBaby: I know. February is an option, but I think that you are right and that I am better off waiting for the next cycle.

Manhattanman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

Re: Urgent-need advice!

Postby Manhattanman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Did you take it?




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests