3.56/159 NA Female w/5 yr WE. Do I even have a chance? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
hjones

New

3.56/159 NA Female w/5 yr WE. Do I even have a chance?

Post by hjones » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on the forums for months, but haven't posted before. I am a registered member of the Choctaw tribe of Oklahoma, received a somewhat prestigious (I think...) national minority scholarship as an undergrad (I just mention this because I think it would be proof to ad comms that I'm a "real" NA), and interned at the Choctaw Nation tribal headquarters in college. I have 5 years teaching experience, and really would like to work in education law. I got my LSAT score back today, and received a disappointing 159. I would LOVE to attend UT or Vandy, but plan on applying to OU as well, since it's in-state. With my low LSAT score/GPA combo, and as late in the game as it is, would it even be worth it to throw apps at Vandy and/or UT? Where else should I apply? I could go to OU and probably be ok with that, but I'm not 100% sure I'm willing to be tied to Oklahoma forever.

Thanks for your help!

Hjones33

Bronze

Re: 3.56/159 NA Female w/5 yr WE. Do I even have a chance?

Post by Hjones33 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:08 pm

Really? Your name is Hjones and you are a NA? Ok..

hjones

New

Post by hjones » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Yup. Believe it or not... you too?

Hjones33

Bronze

Post by Hjones33 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:45 pm

It just seems weird that you have almost the same username and we are both NAs and both scores are just right below mine... almost too weird ha...

hjones

New

Post by hjones » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:18 pm

It is pretty weird! Where are you/did you apply?

serdog

Bronze

Post by serdog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 pm

NA admission is a odd ball game, I had a 3.2/159
I was reject by BC. Reserved \until late August at Columbia and admitted to Cornell. I'm not an American citizen, my nation as territory in both country, and not enrolled with a US Tribe. So shot for them you might get in, and shot higher as well,

hjones

New

Post by hjones » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:32 pm

serdog wrote:NA admission is a odd ball game, I had a 3.2/159
I was reject by BC. Reserved \until late August at Columbia and admitted to Cornell. I'm not an American citizen, my nation as territory in both country, and not enrolled with a US Tribe. So shot for them you might get in, and shot higher as well,
Wow, congrats on Cornell! How late in the cycle did you apply?

serdog

Bronze

Post by serdog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:37 pm

hjones wrote:
serdog wrote:NA admission is a odd ball game, I had a 3.2/159
Wow, congrats on Cornell! How late in the cycle did you apply?
I did it on the last day last year I never to get into Cornell until July, so I would take a shot, my understanding is the Columbia and Cornell give lots of love to NA.

Note: I can't Answer any Cornell question because I end up stay in Canada, I'm happy I love UVIC

Hjones33

Bronze

Post by Hjones33 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:48 pm

I actually am retaking the test in June. Hoping I can up my LSAT score and I am still in undergrad at the moment so it would be nice to take one year off and actually do some real work for a change.

I heard Cornell does give some love to NA, so that is a great idea to apply there. Never heard about Columbia. That is interesting, where/why do you say that about Columbia? If anyone else has some info love to hear about it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”