A Few Questions Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
RatedGenius

New

A Few Questions

Post by RatedGenius » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:15 am

I Just finished my sophomore year of college and I really want to start planning for my future now. I recently started to do extensive research on law schools and I wanted to get you guys opinions on what I can do to better my chances at getting into a top school.

Current Stats

AA Male
GPA:3.45
Major: Political Science
Minor: English

I'm Positive i can boost my GPA up next semester.

A few questions I have...

1.) When Should I start to prepare/take the LSAT
2.) I currently attend a public HBCU do you think that will effect my chances?
3.) What kind of schools should I be looking at now even though i haven't took the LSAT yet?

Thanks in advance

mimi82

New

Re: A Few Questions

Post by mimi82 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:02 am

Your too early. If you want to go to law school right after undergrad I wouldn't start until around spring of your junior year, at the earliest.

And as far as what type of schools should you look at....well that depends on what type of law you think you're interested in and what your LSAT is. Just because you've always had a dream of going to a particular school your LSAT score may make you realize that school is not within your reach.

But I'm going to tell you like I've told numerous interns in my office. Don't go to law school because its just something to do after undergrad. I strongly encourage working for atleast a year. And that goes for going to school for a master's too. Working for a bit gives you an idea of what you want to do and what you don't want to do. And for me I really believe my work experience gave me a slight boost. But my experience was very unique too.

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:13 pm

Maximize your GPA. Come back with a real LSAT score. In the mean time, use the LSAT discussion forum to prepare.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:19 pm

enjoy undergrad, make sure you want to go to law school enough to pay for it, and take the LSAT as a senior or slightly after.

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:38 pm

mimi82 wrote:Your too early. If you want to go to law school right after undergrad I wouldn't start until around spring of your junior year, at the earliest.
No, no. If he wants to go directly after undergrad, he will be applying Fall of his senior year and if he wants to apply rather early, he needs to take the LSAT at the latest, early June of his junior year.

If he wants to bring up his GPA as much as possible, he needs to focus on school the whole year which means he needs to study this summer intensively for three months and do a bunch of PTs during weekends/breaks throughout the academic year coming up (and possibly take it December at his school-if proctored there-and take it second time June if he needs to or simply take it June and if the score is not what he wants it to be, retake it Oct but apply later).

But of course, this all depends on his LS goals and where he is aiming.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:07 pm

RatedGenius wrote:I Just finished my sophomore year of college and I really want to start planning for my future now. I recently started to do extensive research on law schools and I wanted to get you guys opinions on what I can do to better my chances at getting into a top school.

Current Stats

AA Male
GPA:3.45
Major: Political Science
Minor: English

I'm Positive i can boost my GPA up next semester.

A few questions I have...

1.) When Should I start to prepare/take the LSAT
2.) I currently attend a public HBCU do you think that will effect my chances?
3.) What kind of schools should I be looking at now even though i haven't took the LSAT yet?

Thanks in advance
1) Second semester Junior Year
2) No one cares where you went to undergrad. It won't hurt or help. GPA/LSAT are what matter.
3) This really depends on where you are scoring on LSAT practice tests. Even then, it only matters what you score on test day. 165+ for a shot at the T14.

Feel free to PM if you have more questions. Just finished up my cycle this past spring.

mimi82

New

Post by mimi82 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:11 pm

FantasticMrFox wrote:
mimi82 wrote:Your too early. If you want to go to law school right after undergrad I wouldn't start until around spring of your junior year, at the earliest.
No, no. If he wants to go directly after undergrad, he will be applying Fall of his senior year and if he wants to apply rather early, he needs to take the LSAT at the latest, early June of his junior year.

If he wants to bring up his GPA as much as possible, he needs to focus on school the whole year which means he needs to study this summer intensively for three months and do a bunch of PTs during weekends/breaks throughout the academic year coming up (and possibly take it December at his school-if proctored there-and take it second time June if he needs to or simply take it June and if the score is not what he wants it to be, retake it Oct but apply later).

But of course, this all depends on his LS goals and where he is aiming.

OMG....yeah if you want to yeah. Actually in that case you should've started in your freshmen year. Please don't be this crazy about it. Cause if so it'll probably reflect in your gpa. And you don't want to sacrafice a good gpa, because that's just as important as the LSAT. Just take care of school first and work on the LSAT next year.

RatedGenius

New

Post by RatedGenius » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I think i'm going to just work hard this semester to improve my GPA, and slowly start to prepare for the LSAT. I do want to attend law school directly after undergrad, so since thats the route im going is the consensus that I should start to prepare for the LSAT the second semester of my junior year?

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:19 am

dkt4 wrote:enjoy undergrad, make sure you want to go to law school enough to pay for it, and take the LSAT as a senior or slightly after.
This is the motherfucking credited response.

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:51 am

+ Get the best GPA you can, work hard.
+ Visit professors during their office hours, get involved on campus, secure those LOR, impress someone.

In terms of timing, beginning Junior year is appropriate. Begin studying for the LSAT starting either Winter Break to take in June, or Summer break to take in October, Senior Year. Then you can apply early in the cycle Senior year, and secure a law school by graduation. Good luck!

mimi82

New

Post by mimi82 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:28 pm

RatedGenius wrote:Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I think i'm going to just work hard this semester to improve my GPA, and slowly start to prepare for the LSAT. I do want to attend law school directly after undergrad, so since thats the route im going is the consensus that I should start to prepare for the LSAT the second semester of my junior year?

Yeah start browsing the study books around that time. I think your best bet is to take the October LSAT and study hard the summer before. Getting yourself familiar with the material is good to start with during your second semester of junior year. But you don't want that to interfere with your finals which is what will happen if you take the June LSAT. Its just not good timing in my opinion.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:58 pm

also, taking a year off from school is a pretty good idea...even if you don't think you want to now.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Don't be that dude who calls himself a genius. No one likes that dude.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:05 am

Nightrunner wrote:
Moxie wrote:
dkt4 wrote:enjoy undergrad and get your GPA up and get money-fuck bitches, make sure you want to go to law school enough to pay for it, and take the LSAT as a senior or slightly after.
This is the motherfucking credited response.
Now it is.

Now it is

RatedGenius

New

Post by RatedGenius » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks again everybody for the responses, very helpful.
rad law wrote:Don't be that dude who calls himself a genius. No one likes that dude.
Im far from a genius, its just a nickname people call me..

sc2012

New

Post by sc2012 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:21 am

I'd say preparing your sophomore year is fine, I wish I had started then instead of during the second semester of my Junior year. Don't overdo it though, still focus on improving your GPA and getting to know your professors. I got to know about 6 of my professors very well at my school since its pretty small and getting good letters of rec were like shooting fish in a barrel.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”