2010- 2011 URM Stats and Cycle - In /Out /WL

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
unc0mm0n1

2010- 2011 URM Stats and Cycle - In /Out /WL

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:39 pm

AA Male
GPA - 3.92
LSAT - 167

Softs - Master's degree, 5yrs work experience in the US Army JAG Corps, Military awards, deployments

PS - about family, overcoming adversity, giving back to the community
DS - Impoverished background, bringing a different viewpoint to law school

In
Yale
Harvard (attending)
Berkeley
Penn
UVA
Cornell
Northwestern
Texas
USC
Fordham
.....many more lower ranked ones

Waitlist
Chicago
UCLA
Vandy
Duke
Michigan

Rejected
NYU

LSN link is in my profile!

Thoughts: Start preping all of your stuff early. Get your LORs done way ahead of time. I almost missed my Early Decision deadline to UCLA waiting for a professor. Have someone experienced look over your stuff and then listen to what they have to say. Don't follow all of it but process everything. Apply to reaches esp if they give you fee waivers, and if they don't give you fee waivers ask for them. Study, study, study for the LSAT. Don't settle for a poor score if you haven't given it everything you could. This is probably the biggest test of your life (so far), treat it as such. Lastly, it's better to have a great app than applying early. I waited to apply to some school because I was deployed. I could have thrown some crap together and just sent it out but I'm really glad I took the time to make sure my apps were exactly the way I wanted them.
Last edited by unc0mm0n1 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Re: 2010- 2011 URM Stats and Cycle - In /Out /WL

Postby law_monkey » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:13 pm

AA female
Stats: 165/3.64

In:
Harvard (in off WL) (attending)
NYU - Full ride (RTK)
Columbia
Penn - 80,000
Duke - 90,000
Georgetown - 60,000
Cornell - 135,000 (Dean's)
BU
BC - 90,000
William and Mary - 85,000
Washington and Lee - 90,000
Fordham - 30,000
GW

WL:
UVA

PS: Explained personal and demonstrated connection to public interest law
DS: Talked about how more than my race factor into what makes me diverse (honestly it was kind of humorous since my PS was pretty heavy)

Notes: Put yourself into the application. It doesn't matter how many apps they have with similar stats and cookie cutter softs, you are your own person with your own experiences. Find that factor that truly differentiates you from the rest of the pack, and keep it honest. I think my app worked so well for me because I made it very clear what my goals are, why I want what I want, and what steps I've already taken to get there. Especially for URMs, I think that softs really do matter. The schools aren't just going to let someone in because they need more diversity and you checked the right box. They need a reason to look past the numbers, so just make sure you put the work into your app to tell your story. Good luck future applicants!!!
Last edited by law_monkey on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NoBox

Postby NoBox » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:25 pm

AA Male
LSAT: 161, 164
GPA: 3.15
Undergrad: ranked between 30-40 by USNews

Accepted:
Berkeley - Initial offer: 75,000 + need...............Final Offer: ~120,000 + need (TBD in 2nd & 3rd yrs)
Penn - Initial offer: ~80,000.......................Final Offer: ~83,000
Cornell: Initial Offer: $45,000 - $90,000 (can't remember and can't find award letter) Did not negotiate.
Georgetown: Initial Offer: $90,000.......................Final Offer: $120,000
UTexas: Initial Offer: $45,000.......................Final Offer: $45,000 + in state (value ~ $96,000)
WUSTL: Initial Offer: $98,000.......................Final Offer: same (negotiation unsuccessful)
Wm & Mary:
Temple: Initial Offer: Full Tuition Scholarship

Wait-listed:
Harvard (initially held)
Columbia
NYU
Chicago
UVA
Michigan
Duke
USC

Rejected:
Stanford (mid-April)

*Apps submitted before November

*Did not submit any "Why X" essays and did not mention any of the schools by name in any of my statements. (I figured I was already taking a risk with the amount of information I was sending, thought they should make a decision on if they wanted an applicant such as myself and not because I really wanted their school, and thought I could write one to request or ask for additional scholarship $.) Also, I am not submitting any "Why X?" essays to get off any wait-lists.

*Softs: Believes in Christ, the bible, and the power of grace and mercy; Low socioeconomic background (lsac fee waiver, efc=0); D-1 athlete; Lots of academic, athletic, and leadership UG awards; have lived in NE, South, and Texas :lol:, not afraid to take risks or think for myself (touched on by LORs and prob is why some of them believe in me as much as they do); confidence (mentioned b/c I think this matters and is evaluated in URM apps/essays), Double Major - Poli Sci & African American studies (studying African American studies/race greatly improved my essays. I really do believe my race is a tangible benefit to an educational environment and the legal profession, and I articulated those beliefs.)

PS: 2 full pages; Not sure I can describe it in a few words. (I tried to intentionally write a multi-layered, somewhat complex essay, in order to combat my low GPA. From the theme to the structure of the essay, I tried to make sure they knew that they were reading my words, thoughts, story, etc.) Heavy focus on race (mine and others), disadvantaged upbringing, personal reflections that set the tone/theme/framework for the rest of my application. Some folks that read my essay believed it was too aggressive and would likely rub some adcomms the wrong way. I appreciated their thoughts (and made some adjustments off of them), but figured if I could get just one adcomm to love me/fight for me, I'd be alright. Putting together an authentic application (and one that reflects the voices of those that never will have the opportunity to go to law school) was - for better or worse - extremely important to me.

DS: 2 full pages; Focused on race, where I lived, and a few anecdotes illustrating my commitment to diversity and beliefs about diversity's importance/value.

Addenda: Full 1 Page explaining GPA (nothing related to mental or physical illness or anything that can be described as a tragedy), Full 1 Page explaining LSAT, Full 1 Page explaining employment gap, Full 1 Page explaining undergrad academic interruption

*I did not want to leave anything up to interpretation. I read TLS (and had ppl advise me not to submit a "heavy" application) so I know about length "requirements." However, most of those "requirements" do not appear in the schools' applications. And so, I simply disregarded such thinking and focused on writing statements they'd want to read. I chose to tell them what to think about my story and those parts of my applications that could be seen in a negative light. Each statement was written to emphasize characteristics and values that I believed should/could overshadow or mitigate what I was explaining.

Resume: 2 full pages

LOR: 3-4 (2 professors - one is also a Department Chair, Dean, University Assistant Director); Strong, personal relationships with all of my recommenders. They all volunteered to write letters for me and deserve a lot of credit for the success of my application.

Font: 11pt on the statements; 10 pt on the resume (mentioned to reiterate that I submitted a big ass application lol)

Won't say which school I'm going to (at least not yet). I hope this helps someone. Good luck fellow URMs.

ETA: I wrote my personal statement first. Based on the feedback that it was "aggressive/risky" I later labeled it as my diversity statement, and labeled my diversity statement as my personal statement so that the "softer" essay was the first essay read. The descriptions above for PS and DS describe how they were written/worded, but on my application the names of the statements are switched. Hope that makes sense.

Trustbuster

Postby Trustbuster » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:19 pm

MA/White Male

Softs: President of Student Club, Jeopardy Contestant, Numerous Jobs/Volunteering

No DS
PS: Discussed impact of working with crime victims and how it showed me the passion I had for the study of law

In:
Stanford (Attending)
Vandy
USC
UT
Boston U
Georgetown
Cornell

WL:
NYU
Columbia
Duke
Chicago
Penn
Notre Dame
Michigan
UVA
UCLA
Harvard
WUSTL
Northwestern (Still held, but putting it here since I lost all interest in them early on)

Reject'd:
Yale
Berkeley
Last edited by Trustbuster on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kdubb513

Postby kdubb513 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:20 pm

AA Male
GPA: 3.75
LSAT: 161
Undergrad: Not Great

Softs: President of 5 Student Organizations, helped to create a new academic dept on campus, leader (exec member) of 15 other student organizations, member of 15+ university committee's. Very, very, involved

PS:Talked about transition from slacker to hard worker
DS: Talked about rough past, best friend being killed, etc.

Notes: I put alot of work into my application. I had LOR's from people who truly knew me and worked hard to refine my statements. I got into alot of good schools that many thought I would be denied at. APPLY TO EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL YOU ARE INTERSTED IN. Even if you think you have no shot just apply. You might add something to a class that someone with higher numbers can't.

Accepted:
Boston University - $105,000
Vanderbilt - $75,000
Ohio State - $75,000
Texas - $45,000
The University of Chicago - $21,000
Michigan - $30,000
Columbia - ?
Stanford - ?
WUSTL - $84,000
Duke - $50,000
Cornell - $50,000
Emory - $45,000

Denied
Yale

Waitlisted
Penn
Northwestern
NYU
UVA
Harvard

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:28 pm

AA Male
GPA - 3.65
LSAT - 156

Softs - Very involved on campus, president of various student orgs, student government, internship with a local judge, internship in the mayors office, worked in a clinic at my school's law school, and many more. I also did a lot of volunteer work.

PS - about adversity; being adopted, having ADHD, and my father passing away.
DS - about serving as a role model to other aa's, males in particular, after obtaining my law degree

In
UVA (attending)
Georgetown
BU
BC
Emory

Waitlist
Cornell
Duke
Michigan
Texas

Rejected
NYU
Columbia
Chicago
Harvard
Penn

Resume: 2 full pages

LOR: Maximum amount for each schools application. It's easy to overlook the importance of building strong relationships with professors so I urge you start asap. Think about it, everyone is going to have lor's that say how smart they are and how they are going to be a good lawyer; you want a letter that goes beyond that and can give good examples of why you will be a good lawyer, etc.

Thoughts: Honestly, URM cycles are unpredictable. With that being said, shoot for the stars and see where you end up; if you aren't happy, retaking is always an option. After I got my LSAT score I was very disappointed, but I decided to work that much harder on my application and see what happened. I edited my statements over 20 times, and had various professors read/edit them. Also, I feel that writing a compelling "Why XX Law School" essay can go a long way.

Good Luck future applicants!

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Black Caribbean American Female, Jamaican and Guyanese

LSAT: 153, 160
GPA: 3.12
Undergrad: Cornell

PS: wrote about how working with a women's rights legal nonprofit made me passionate about the law
DS: something about my socioeconomic disadvantages

Softs: nonprofit, AmeriCorps VISTA, lots of service, upward grade trend

In:
Vanderbilt - 20k/yr (Attending)
GW
WUSTL - 25k/yr
Indiana - 40k/yr (or whatever full out of state tuition is)
Illinois - 32k/yr
William and Mary - 8k/yr
Washington and Lee
Wake Forest - 40k/yr (or whatever full tuition is)
Tulane - 20k/yr
Other lower ranked schools

Held/Reserved:
Cornell
Northwestern

Waitlist:
BU
GULC
Notre Dame

Out:
Chicago
Last edited by ktg808 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:09 pm

AA Male
GPA - 3.72 (upward grade trend: All 5 consecutive 4.0 semesters after freshman year [7th semester grad])
LSAT - 177

Softs- Clubs, tutoring, corporate internships, etc. Nothing special.

PS- Overview of my somewhat difficult background(very low socio-econ status) and how it connected to my tutoring of underprivileged children (written very generically for all but a few schools)
DS- None

Accepted
Harvard (attending)
Columbia
Chicago ($90,000)
NYU ($90,000)
Berkeley (full tuition)
Michigan (full tuition+stipend)
UVA (full tuition)
Duke (invited as Mordecai finalist but declined)
Georgetown (withdrew before scholarships released)
Cornell (withdrew before scholarships released)
Texas (full tuition+stipend)
Vandy ($90,000; did not apply to named scholarships)

Waitlisted
Stanford

Thoughts: I got a JR1 for Harvard in mid-October and after that I pretty much mailed it in on the rest of my applications. The only apps I personalized by school were Michigan, Duke and Berkeley. This probably hurt me a bit on the named scholarships at higher ranked schools and at Stanford. I really recommend that you start early and incorporate something about each school into their respective apps. That said, I obviously had a great cycle. In addition, take what you read on this site with a huge grain of salt. A lot of things around here are either purely speculative or badly reasoned.

serdog

Postby serdog » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:57 pm

159/3.2

Reject

Harvard
Penn
Michigan
Duke
Georgetown
Boston College
Michigan

Waitlisted

Columbia :shock:
American withdrew

Accepted
Creighton 75% all 3 years
Charlotte ($32,000 as long as I had a 3.2)

and like most
Waiting on Cornell

Canada
Accepted
UBC
Mann $
Alberta
UVic(attending barring getting off the Columbia reverse) with Dean's note and Phone call(I hoping for $)

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:29 pm

AA male.
161/3.98

In
UVA - full tuition (attending)
Penn
Berkeley - full tuition
Chicago- $45,000
GWU- $105,000
Georgetown - $60,000
Texas - $45,000
Michigan
Cornell
USC

Waitlisted
Duke
NYU
Harvard
Columbia
Yale
Edit: Stanford

PS talked about my unique work experience in undergrad and how I used my position to try to make an impact on my community (specifically the African American community).
DS Talked about what being a black male meant to me (pretty generic).
LOR- 2 professors and one employer. All of them gave me glowing recommendations as I knew they would. I was consciously aware of who I wanted to write my LORs WAY before I applied to law school. Scope these people out as early as possible and make them love you!

Take advantage of all fee waivers and never sell yourself short. My cycle turned out much better than I had anticipated and I would have never had these opportunities if I didn't apply to some huge reach schools. While you're crafting your application, it is not the time to be overly humble. You are trying to sell yourself to the adcomms. While cockiness won't get you anywhere, sincere confidence certainly will. Be proud of whatever experiences molded you into the person you are today.

Use TLS as a tool and get as many people to read your PS and DS as possible. I would recommend doing it through PM. Lastly, apply early - Thanksgiving at the latest!
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:02 am

3.52 (applied with a 3.48) 161,167

IN
Cornell 105k
BU 105k
Fordham nothing

OUT
Harvard
Berkeley
UVA
Duke

WL
Columbia
NYU
GULC
UCLA
Notre Dame (Who the fuck knows why)

PS: Went into detail into an event that changed my life and how that affected my UG career, doing research, publications, etc.

DS: Talked about my identity as a first generation Mexican-American. Not really being from here or over there, coming from Mexico at age 12, not knowing English.

I really wish I could get Columbia or NYU, do you guys think updating my transcript would help at all? Going up a decimal by four hundredths doesn't seem like much to me.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:22 am

This is an immensely helpful thread. Thanks to all of you who have contributed thus far!!

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:51 am

AA MALE
3.1 163 (156)

IN:
WUSTL- 75K
Ohio State 39k
Notre Dame 51k
Alabama 75k
Case western 45k
and other lower ranked

Rejected:
Chicago
Duke
Boston U

Waitlisted:
IU-B
William and Mary
Minnesota
USC

Pending
Columbia
Cornell

PS: I wrote about International human rights
DS: None
Why Essays: Only Notre Dame

Softs- Clubs, volunteering, All-American Athlete, nothing that really stands out though as being a "great" soft.

-Apply early and to every single school you are interested in. Like others have said, individual cycles are so unpredictable.

LORs- I had three of them, two professors and a supervisor. I had very close and personal relationships with all three of them and they were more than happy to write it for me.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:47 am

AA Female
3.28 (LSAC 3.39) 170, 161
MBA, 1 year of we

IN:
Harvard (attending)
Columbia
NYU - 50k
UVA - Full ride
Michigan - Full ride
Penn - 105k
Duke - 60k
Georgetown - 120k
GWU - 105k + stipend
BC - 105k
BU - 105k
WUSTL- Full + stipend
W&L - Full ride
and other similarly ranked with $

Rejected:
Yale

Waitlisted:
Chicago

Withdrawn:
Cornell

PS: I wrote about my varsity sport during undergrad/grad, interwoven with tidbits about my accomplishments and overcoming adversity
DS: family, roots
Why Essays: Every school

Softs- Clubs, volunteering, all-american athlete, founded my own company, honor society, bschool fellowship, corporate internships

LORs- three: my head coach, head of my undergrad scholly program (vice-chancellor), dean of students (athletics department is under his umbrella)

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Black male
170/3.8

PS - nonprofit legal work
DS - yes
Letters - 2, both teachers

In:
Y
H
S
C (Butler)
C (Rubenstein)
N
M (Darrow)
V (full)
P
B
Duke (Mordecai nomination)
Georgetown
Gw (105k)

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:00 pm

^^^ Fresh, you killed it homey!

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:10 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:^^^ Fresh, you killed it homey!

+1

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:18 pm

Thirded, mad respect (even though you made the horrible decision of not joining me at HLS).

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:22 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:

+1

serdog

Postby serdog » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:28 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:My cycle turned out much better than I had anticipated and I would have never had these opportunities if I didn't apply to some huge reach schools. While you're crafting your application, it is not the time to be overly humble. You are trying to sell yourself to the adcomms. While cockiness won't get you anywhere, sincere confidence certainly will. Be proud of whatever experiences molded you into the person you are today.

Agreed I will always wonder what might have happened if I had taken a shot a UofT still I quite happy with were I'm at

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Mixed race (AA/white) male
3.41/170

PS: Generic, about my lifelong goal of practicing law, my passion for civil liberties and how that has been shaped over the years
DS: About growing up in a mixed race household and the influence of my mother (the AA among my parents) in shaping my worldview and making me a well-rounded person

Softs: Nothing too impressive...study abroad in the UK, Congressional internship, part-time work during school, low-level honor societies, etc

Also of note: I was a very late applicant, 1/30-2/8 sent dates, 2/22 complete dates due to a somewhat slow LoR writer

In
-Columbia (think I'll make my deposit today)
-GULC (45k)
-Vandy (30k)
-USC (90k)

Out
-Yale
-Michigan
-Berkeley

WL
-Harvard (gonna ride it)
-Penn
-Virginia
-Duke (priority)
-UCLA

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:53 am

Thank you everyone but really we ALL killed it
Last edited by Fresh on Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:50 pm

Last edited by dkt4 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:16 am

Last edited by dkt4 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Queer AA Female
Undergrad: Top Public University, B.A. in psychology
GPA: 3.61
LSAT: 167

Softs: Started campus group for queer people of color, 3 yrs volunteering on peer counseling and crisis intervention hotline, cog. dev. research experience and first author of several posters, no stellar softs

PS: how interest in psychology led me to my goal of becoming a PI lawyer
DS: experience of being a queer person of color and integrating my different social identities (posted in DS thread), 2 pages double-spaced
LORs: 3 (1 professor (also TA'd for her), 1 academic employer (Was her lab manager and we published a paper together, current employer)

IN:
Columbia
NYU ($60K)
Michigan ($60K, attending)
Duke ($75K)
UT ($102K, combo of merit scholly and in-state tuition scholly)
WUSTL ($129K)
BU ($90K)
USC ($90K)
Emory ($67.5K)

WL:
Chicago (that one stung :( )
UCLA
Penn

Ding:
UVA (lol)

Withdrawn:
Cornell (no decision during the last week of April, so I gave up on waiting)

LSN Link in my profile :)

Thoughts: Start getting all of your stuff together as soon as you decide you want to apply. The october LSAT fills up FAST, so if you want to take the october LSAT, sign up as soon as you can. I waited until August and by the time I got around to it, october was full, so I had to wait and take the LSAT in December, making my applications go out later and taking away the chance for a retake if necessary. Talk to your recommenders during the summer if at all possible before school starts heating up so that you can get your LORs into LSAC with plenty of time to spare. One of my recommenders had to submit their LOR 3 times (due to assorted technical difficulties and stuff getting lost in the mail), so it took wayyyy longer than I thought it would. I gave my recommenders a packet with my PS, DS, resume, and a blurb for each of the schools I was applying to which I think really helped them write stellar LORs.

Most important of all, do your best to make sure your personality really comes through and your full application packet tells a story. Don't be afraid to be candid (strategically, obviously). I think the fact that I outed myself as queer and actually focused on that aspect of my background, despite mixed advice on TLS, gave me an extra boost that I wouldn't have had otherwise and set me apart from other folks (standard URM included) with similar numbers. Also, to reiterate what others have said, apply to Every school you're interested in and make good use of your fee waivers if you have them. I know my cycle went a lot better than I expected it to (even taking into account URM boost, based on lawschoolpredictor). You never know what the Ad Comms will be looking for in a particular application year and if you really make your app stand out, you could have a shot Anywhere.

Good luck to all future applicants and GO BLUE!! :mrgreen:

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”