Friendly and unfriendly schools for URMs

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Wade LeBosh

Friendly and unfriendly schools for URMs

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Which T1 schools have a reputation for being comfortable places for URMs and which schools have reps for being more WASPy and having an exclusive culture? I would imagine southern schools like Duke are more the latter but that's just an assumption.
Last edited by Wade LeBosh on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

bport hopeful

Re: Best school for URMs

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:00 pm

Dont upset the south on these boards, they are hateful bunch.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:39 pm

tag

Wade LeBosh wrote:Which T1 schools have a reputation for being comfortable places for URMs and which schools have reps for being more WASPy and having an exclusive culture? I would imagine southern schools like Duke are more the latter but that's just an assumption.

This same question was one of my first on TLS, and it wasn't met with many positive responses:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=141010

I'll be heading to HLS, but would still be interested in some opinions.

sfxx

Postby sfxx » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Yale is the best school for URMs

Alltheirsplendor

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 am

sfxx wrote:Yale is the best school for URMs

False. Princeton Law.

;) Just teasin' op.

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:36 am

Alltheirsplendor wrote:
sfxx wrote:Yale is the best school for URMs

False. Princeton Law.

;) Just teasin' op.

Haha. I guess by best I meant most welcoming... I know law schools are going to be predominately Caucasian and that's not an issue. I'm asking more about the culture of the schools. A school may have a (relatively) large URM population, but if there's a sentiment of resentment towards them from other students or any kind of social segregation at all I'd find that to be a problem. Anyone know about the atmosphere/attitude at places like UPenn, Virginia, or Michigan?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 am

Yale

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:39 am

If AA Howard

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:46 am

Wade LeBosh wrote:Which T1 schools have a reputation for being comfortable places for URMs and which schools have reps for being more WASPy and having an exclusive culture? I would imagine southern schools like Duke are more the latter but that's just an assumption.

Just reposting the OP because I think some of you read the title and not the OP.

BlakcMajikc

Re: Friendly and unfriendly schools for URMs

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:52 am

bump. OP changed the title.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 am

-- harvard has an excellent blsa and black alumni network in general. it's pretty strong, but boston is probably not the most URM friendly city.

-- nyu seemed to be a pretty progressive environment when i visited. plus it's location seems as good as any.

-- berkeley and stanford are generally good for URMs imo, although outside of class stanford's not exactly in a very URM-laden town.

-- georgetown's decent, plus DC is pretty cool (i'm biased, but whatever).

-- everything i know about austin suggests that UT would be gud.

-- ucla also has some pretty tight alumni networks, i know specifically for black grads...i would guess hispanic/latino too, though.

-- emory is a pretty good environment, too.

places you'd have a tough time getting me to go to...
duke, vandy, anything in boston not named harvard, notre dame, washington & lee, alabama, UGA, BYU, utah (although supposedly there's a huge pop. of polynesians)

not that any of this would apply to your situation, just figured i'd say something since there's been limited responses :P

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:16 am

dkt4 wrote:-- harvard has an excellent blsa and black alumni network in general. it's pretty strong, but boston is probably not the most URM friendly city.

-- nyu seemed to be a pretty progressive environment when i visited. plus it's location seems as good as any.

-- berkeley and stanford are generally good for URMs imo, although outside of class stanford's not exactly in a very URM-laden town.

-- ucla also has some pretty tight alumni networks, i know specifically for black grads...i would guess hispanic/latino too, though.

duke, vandy, anything in boston not named harvard, notre dame, washington & lee, alabama, UGA, BYU, utah (although supposedly there's a huge pop. of polynesians)

not that any of this would apply to your situation, just figured i'd say something since there's been limited responses :P

interesting, why not vandy?

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:47 pm

vandy, to me, is 'the' rich prep school of the south. i have some friends who fit that description to the letter, but being wholly in that environment would probably kill my brain. not saying there aren't good people at vandy, cuz i'm sure there's plenty. (in fairness, this is based solely on what i've heard and ppl from vandy i've met).

mebo28

Postby mebo28 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:14 pm

dkt4 wrote:-- harvard has an excellent blsa and black alumni network in general. it's pretty strong, but boston is probably not the most URM friendly city.

Whats up with this national bad rap given to Boston? Boston isn't perfect, but who is?

I'm from the Boston area. FYI if people haven't forgotten, Boston is one of the most liberal cities and somewhat earthy crunchy. People are very welcoming and friendly. Like most places, the rich old white men are the ones who aren't so welcoming (although we do have the Kennedy family), and that is just not only to URMs but to anyone who is not rich and white.

Anyways, I have heard that Michigan and Stanford are also very URM friendly.

blackman1

Postby blackman1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:32 pm

are you kidding me? Boston is worse than any city in south that still has a kkk branch in my view. I visited the city in 2009 because ive always wanted to see the red sox play. I have never been called the N word for no reason as many times as I was in boston. Barely any black people go to red sox games and i learned why. Just my view.

mebo28

Postby mebo28 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:46 pm

blackman1 wrote:are you kidding me? Boston is worse than any city in south that still has a kkk branch in my view. I visited the city in 2009 because ive always wanted to see the red sox play. I have never been called the N word for no reason as many times as I was in boston. Barely any black people go to red sox games and i learned why. Just my view.

First, there are many white people in Boston because we are in the North and they are the most populous, hence there are a lot of white people at a Red Sox game, and Red Sox fans are brutal to anyone who isn't like them.

Your example of using a sport event is terrible, especially for blacks. Most major sporting events are attended by primarily whites. Maybe not so where you are from, but it is the norm everywhere else. Go to Texas and watch a Football game, see who you see in the stadiums. This is actually an area I have studied a lot, and a national problem in the USA.

Also, like anywhere, you can have a bad experience. Especially if you are only in town for a short amount of time. This is probably where most people get that idea that Boston is unfriendly and racist, from people who have never lived here.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:51 pm

UVA?

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:57 am

mebo28 wrote:First, there are many white people in Boston because we are in the North and they are the most populous, hence there are a lot of white people at a Red Sox game, and Red Sox fans are brutal to anyone who isn't like them.

Your example of using a sport event is terrible, especially for blacks. Most major sporting events are attended by primarily whites. Maybe not so where you are from, but it is the norm everywhere else. Go to Texas and watch a Football game, see who you see in the stadiums. This is actually an area I have studied a lot, and a national problem in the USA.

Also, like anywhere, you can have a bad experience. Especially if you are only in town for a short amount of time. This is probably where most people get that idea that Boston is unfriendly and racist, from people who have never lived here.

okay i feel the need to respond to this...

apparently if you're black and would like to go to a sporting event, you should just get used to the fact that a) you will be called the n word and b) most of the fans will be white?

regardless of how you feel about your own city, boston is often regarded as an unfriendly city in the black community. that doesn't make everyone in boston racist, and that reputation is probably overblown, but there's no denying that it is pretty widely held. but, in my experience, boston hasn't exactly shown that its reputation is illegitimate...

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:19 am

Notre Dame actually seemed decent when I went. Granted, there was only one specific minority "crew", but in my head I was like I'll probably hang out with these kids when I actually go. Plus, it was a pretty substantial crew in the commons for such a small class size.

dey206

Postby dey206 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:21 pm

dkt4 wrote:
mebo28 wrote:First, there are many white people in Boston because we are in the North and they are the most populous, hence there are a lot of white people at a Red Sox game, and Red Sox fans are brutal to anyone who isn't like them.

apparently if you're black and would like to go to a sporting event, you should just get used to the fact that a) you will be called the n word and b) most of the fans will be white?
regardless of how you feel about your own city, boston is often regarded as an unfriendly city in the black community. that doesn't make everyone in boston racist, and that reputation is probably overblown, but there's no denying that it is pretty widely held. but, in my experience, boston hasn't exactly shown that its reputation is illegitimate...

+1000000000000 thanks for replying to this bc u nailed it ...smh

Intraining

Postby Intraining » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:28 pm

dey206 wrote:
dkt4 wrote:

+1000000000000 thanks for replying to this bc u nailed it ...smh

TITCR

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:44 pm

mebo28 wrote:
blackman1 wrote:are you kidding me? Boston is worse than any city in south that still has a kkk branch in my view. I visited the city in 2009 because ive always wanted to see the red sox play. I have never been called the N word for no reason as many times as I was in boston. Barely any black people go to red sox games and i learned why. Just my view.

First, there are many white people in Boston because we are in the North and they are the most populous, hence there are a lot of white people at a Red Sox game, and Red Sox fans are brutal to anyone who isn't like them.

I have been in small towns in Alabama that were less openly racist than Boston or the suburbs around Detroit (I throw that one in because I lived there for a few years and was really surprised. When I went to Boston afterwards, I was no longer surprised). Boston's middle class is liberal... but the white lower class is filled with some of the most profoundly racist people I have ever met. And the upper class is what it is everywhere.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:51 pm

The amount of stereotyping and generalizations in this thread is mind boggling.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:53 pm

USNews rates law schools on diversity. Categories include "American Indian", "Asian", "Black", "Hispanic", "White" & "International".

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:09 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:USNews rates law schools on diversity. Categories include "American Indian", "Asian", "Black", "Hispanic", "White" & "International".

There's a difference between diversity (as in terms of numbers) and the overall atmosphere and culture of a school. I'm asking for people's personal opinions that's the only way to asses that.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”