,

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
lolol10
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

,

Postby lolol10 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:29 pm

k
Last edited by lolol10 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby fatduck » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 pm

as long as you mention the people's court

User avatar
NScott
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:11 pm

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby NScott » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:43 pm

I think so. I think the purpose of a diversity statement is to acknowledge things about you that have had a large impact on your life, and that set you apart from the thousands applying. Go for it!

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby rebexness » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby Verity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:48 pm

Of course it is! I mean, what percentage of LS applicants, and LS students have autism? Probably not a lot. As long as you don't make it the focus of your personal statement, it would be a great diversity statement topic. People too often confuse the diversity statement as a restatement of URM status, which is not just what it's for.

User avatar
Samuel Jackson
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:47 am

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby Samuel Jackson » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Do it.

User avatar
aspire2more
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby aspire2more » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:59 pm

Is it a legitimate topic? Yes. Can it hurt you depending on what you say? Yes.

Make sure that it is a compelling statement, of course, but also make sure that it won't give the admissions committee reason to think that your autism will some how interfere with your ability to A) do well in a law school environment and B) practice law.

lolol10
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby lolol10 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:31 pm

aspire2more wrote:Is it a legitimate topic? Yes. Can it hurt you depending on what you say? Yes.

Make sure that it is a compelling statement, of course, but also make sure that it won't give the admissions committee reason to think that your autism will some how interfere with your ability to A) do well in a law school environment and B) practice law.

good point. i wrote it as a kind of maturation of character/personal triumph essay. in the essay i included that i ended up transferring to a top 20ug institution and that i did very well there academically and socially. hopefully that conveys my potential for success

User avatar
aspire2more
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby aspire2more » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:06 pm

lolol10 wrote:
aspire2more wrote:Is it a legitimate topic? Yes. Can it hurt you depending on what you say? Yes.

Make sure that it is a compelling statement, of course, but also make sure that it won't give the admissions committee reason to think that your autism will some how interfere with your ability to A) do well in a law school environment and B) practice law.

good point. i wrote it as a kind of maturation of character/personal triumph essay. in the essay i included that i ended up transferring to a top 20ug institution and that i did very well there academically and socially. hopefully that conveys my potential for success


Without having seen your essay, it sounds like you did convey that pretty well. Best of luck to you!

User avatar
laurified
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:01 am

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby laurified » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:58 pm

yeah, i wrote my diversity statement about my experiences being a woman on the autism spectrum

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby Moxie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:29 am

aspire2more wrote:Is it a legitimate topic? Yes. Can it hurt you depending on what you say? Yes.

Make sure that it is a compelling statement, of course, but also make sure that it won't give the admissions committee reason to think that your autism will some how interfere with your ability to A) do well in a law school environment and B) practice law.


This. Personally I'd stay away from it, but to each his/her own.

User avatar
Alltheirsplendor
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Moxie wrote:
aspire2more wrote:Is it a legitimate topic? Yes. Can it hurt you depending on what you say? Yes.

Make sure that it is a compelling statement, of course, but also make sure that it won't give the admissions committee reason to think that your autism will some how interfere with your ability to A) do well in a law school environment and B) practice law.


This. Personally I'd stay away from it, but to each his/her own.


TITCR.

It's unfortunate but sometimes admissions committees don't like to hear about things like this. It's really frustrating (not to mention counter-intuitive). But it sounds like you took a good approach so I hope things go well. Let us know how things turn out!

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby esq » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.

A diversity statement is a written piece of work outlining something unique about the writer, usually about race, culture, or a difficult background.

Lolol10 is derived from the acronym lol, meaning laughing out loud, and most likely means that the OP is laughing out loud ten separate times.

March 20th last year was a Saturday, not a Sunday. I started my day brewing coffee, pouring myself a cup, and then drinking it as I read Twilight Eclipse, a book loaned to me by Judy, my friend, on the 5th of March 2010, a Friday, at 11:10am.

My answer is yes.

User avatar
SMA22
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:42 am

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby SMA22 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:39 pm

YES. It's a very legit reason to do a DS, and while people can say "stay away from it," truth is, adcomms know what high functioning autism is (you'd be surprised how many law school professors have it), and that you made it through college with a lifelong, pervasive developmental disorder will speak volumes to your element of diversity to the class.

Autism is clearly a disability, and demonstrating that while you're on the autistic spectrum, you aren't some awkward Rainman will be HUGE. Having been perceived as "different" for your entire life and likely stereotyped are great reasons to do a DS. The odds of a school judging you negatively based on getting through college with autism are the same as them judging you because you're in a wheelchair.

I also did my DS on a similar condition and was often mistaken for retarded well into my teens--I kept it positive, demonstrated no hostility in being misjudged, and how I used being different to better connect and serve my community. I'm in T14. Or 13 or 15, whatever we're calling it these days :lol:

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby esq » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:42 pm

SMA22 wrote:YES. It's a very legit reason to do a DS, and while people can say "stay away from it," truth is, adcomms know what high functioning autism is (you'd be surprised how many law school professors have it), and that you made it through college with a lifelong, pervasive developmental disorder will speak volumes to your element of diversity to the class.

Autism is clearly a disability, and demonstrating that while you're on the autistic spectrum, you aren't some awkward Rainman will be HUGE. Having been perceived as "different" for your entire life and likely stereotyped are great reasons to do a DS. The odds of a school judging you negatively based on getting through college with autism are the same as them judging you because you're in a wheelchair.

I also did my DS on a similar condition and was often mistaken for retarded well into my teens--I kept it positive, demonstrated no hostility in being misjudged, and how I used being different to better connect and serve my community. I'm in T14. Or 13 or 15, whatever we're calling it these days :lol:

T12, 13 and 15 don't exist.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Wapner didn't go to a T14




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest