LSAT Range for Black/AA Students

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
cthomas

LSAT Range for Black/AA Students

Postby cthomas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Does anyone know where I can find this information? Has it been discussed in a previous thread? Are there any known Black/AA students who have received a perfect score?

bk1

Re: LSAT Range for Black/AA Students

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Range = 120-180

Yes, it has happened.

cthomas

Postby cthomas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:53 pm

bk1 wrote:Range = 120-180

Yes, it has happened.

Do you have a link to your source? Anything?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:55 pm

...IBTL

cthomas

Postby cthomas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 pm

Actually, I don't know why this thread would need to be locked. I'm a Black student looking for stats..

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:01 pm

cthomas wrote:Actually, I don't know why this thread would need to be locked. I'm a Black student looking for stats..

Haha I guess that does change it. I just find the idea that not a single Black student has ever scored a 180 kind of unlikely. Perhaps I'm wrong.

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Yes, it has happened.

An AA got a 120?

Curry

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:10 pm

FLAME

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:13 pm

cthomas wrote:

Yes, it has happened.

Do you have a link to your source? Anything?

Do you seriously believe there is a single score that an AA is incapable of attaining?

cthomas

Postby cthomas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Right, but I wasn't stating that no Black student has scored a 180 -- merely that it is difficult to find figures that prove otherwise.

Either way, I found a helpful link: http://www.lsac.org/LsacResources/Resea ... -08-03.pdf

In 2007-2008, AA students scored 142.15 on average, with a SD of 8.40. Three standard deviations places almost all Black students at an LSAT score below 167.35.

Curry

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:16 pm

cthomas wrote:Right, but I wasn't stating that no Black student has scored a 180 -- merely that it is difficult to find figures that prove otherwise.

Either way, I found a helpful link: http://www.lsac.org/LsacResources/Resea ... -08-03.pdf

In 2007-2008, AA students scored 142.15 on average, with a SD of 8.40. Three standard deviations places almost all Black students at an LSAT score below 167.35.

I'd recon almost all Non black students score below a 167.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Curry wrote:
cthomas wrote:Right, but I wasn't stating that no Black student has scored a 180 -- merely that it is difficult to find figures that prove otherwise.

Also my initial reaction. Using his data and his math.. 3 standard deviations from the median "white" score is like 178. Yet we know white people score 180s with some regularity (at least a few each cycle).

Curry

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:21 pm

arism87 wrote:
Curry wrote:

Also my initial reaction. Using his data and his math.. 3 standard deviations from the median "white" score is like 178. Yet we know white people score 180s with some regularity (at least a few each cycle).

Yeah. I don't think standard deviation is a good way of measuring this. I'm sure more whites than blacks score 180's, just because of the way racial dynamics and test performance work, but at the same time, I'm fairly certain blacks have scored 180's in the past.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Mods please lock this thread. No good will come of it. Itll only lead to more stereotyping and resentment. There is nothing in the LSAT that precluded African Americans from scoring 180. There need not be further discussion unless the goal of this thread is to spark racial controversy.

OP, if you want to contribute on this forum, get a clue and ask useful questions.

cthomas

Postby cthomas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:24 pm

@ Curry

Right, but you also have to realize that a Caucasian test taker would score a 179 if s/he were 3 standard deviations from the mean -- that puts a 167 into perspective.

Curry

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:25 pm

cthomas wrote:Right, but you also have to realize that a Caucasian test taker would score a 179 if s/he were 3 standard deviations from the mean -- that puts a 167 into perspective.

It means using standard deviations to measure this is bullshit.

1evilo.aihpos

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Fresh wrote:Mods please lock this thread. No good will come of it. Itll only lead to more stereotyping and resentment. There is nothing in the LSAT that precluded African Americans from scoring 180. There need not be further discussion unless the goal of this thread is to spark racial controversy.
OP, if you want to contribute on this forum, get a clue and ask useful questions.

what the prince said.
but also..... I know on this site (which is a fraction of LSAT takers) there is a 178 DieAntwoord, 178 Texasboy(LSN), 177 tgerret*, and a 180 Sophie(not sure if sophie is a AA or NA though).
lawschoolnumbers is where you need to go. posting questions like this will only cause arguments and information from... you guessed it.... lawschoolnumbers.
oh and crazymonkey* got a 179
Last edited by 1evilo.aihpos on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curry

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:27 pm

1evilo.aihpos wrote:
Fresh wrote:Mods please lock this thread. No good will come of it. Itll only lead to more stereotyping and resentment. There is nothing in the LSAT that precluded African Americans from scoring 180. There need not be further discussion unless the goal of this thread is to spark racial controversy.

what the prince said.
but also..... I know on this site (which is a fraction of LSAT takers) there is a 178 DieAntwoord, 178 Texasboy(LSN), 177 tgerret*, and a 180 Sophie(not sure if sophie is a AA or NA though).
lawschoolnumbers is where you need to go. posting questions like this will only cause arguments and information from... you guessed it.... lawschoolnumbers.

Stalker?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:27 pm

1evilo.aihpos wrote:

what the prince said.

I checked LSN actually, for the last 4 cycles. No AA reporting 180s (minus 1 or 2 that were pretty clearly flames). But like you said, very small percentage of overall test takers.

ETA: Sorry to even be contributing to this :oops:

1evilo.aihpos

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:31 pm

arism87 wrote:
1evilo.aihpos wrote:

what the prince said.

I checked LSN actually, for the last 4 cycles. No AA reporting 180s (minus 1 or 2 that were pretty clearly flames). But like you said, very small percentage of overall test takers.

I thought Sophie1 was AA.

1evilo.aihpos

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Curry wrote:
1evilo.aihpos wrote:

what the prince said.

Stalker?

true.. I like my AAs :D

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:32 pm

1evilo.aihpos wrote:
arism87 wrote:
1evilo.aihpos wrote:

what the prince said.

I thought Sophie1 was AA.

I want to say she's NA? EITHER WAY, the data OP posted shows similar means/SDs for Native Americans, so just goes to show...

Also, I can't wait for her to happen upon this.. creepers.

1evilo.aihpos

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:33 pm

arism87 wrote:
1evilo.aihpos wrote:

what the prince said.

did you search AA, because i know a lot of AAs just put URM.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:34 pm

1evilo.aihpos wrote:did you search AA, because i know a lot of AAs just put URM.

I searched URM.. only thing I know how to do lol. So if Sophie is AA I'm wrong to say no one posted it, but I don't think she is

cthomas

Postby cthomas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Fresh wrote:OP, if you want to contribute on this forum, get a clue and ask useful questions.

How is this not useful? The litmus test for the authenticity of my question should not (and cannot) be the responses that are given; I can't be held accountable for someone else.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”