Best Law Schools for URMs

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
BlakcMajikc

Best Law Schools for URMs

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:05 am

First, I tried to do a search for this topic and failed miserably, so if someone has (or can find) a link to this topic, it would be greatly appreciated.

To cut to the chase, I want to know the "best experience tier ones" for URMs. I don't care too much about admit numbers, but I'm looking to see if there are any schools that really stand out for the experience they offer to URMs and particularly AAs.

For background info on me: I am applying to a good # of schools (LSAC fee waiver), 20+ apps from all east coast schools in the top 35 or so. I have a 3.38 and a 161, URM = black female. I have my MBA. Waiting for my Dec LSAT retake.

I am in at W&L and W&M and waiting on all of the others. I wanted to know how to get the inside scoop on schools from a URM perspective. I will visit almost every school I get into (most are east coast). I have heard negative things about the conservative culture at W&L and not good things about Duke, but what's the best way to discover the culture of these schools? Is the only way visiting?

2Serious4Numbers

Re: Best Law Schools for URMs

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:19 am

It's law school, not an exotic vacation. Your small URM segment/ "experience" is the exact same experience as the other 200 white kids in your class. Unless you want an intercity atmosphere or some other specific aspect just do your research and visit. I seriously doubt schools cater all that much to their urm students in terms of providing a specialized or altered "experience" for them

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:23 am

Visting is the only way, but honestly, you can't find much about this because it doesn't really matter. Most places are going to be pretty much the same. There will be racial prejudices present in the student body at every school. There will be minority populations at every school. Different schools will have varying levels of cohesion between different groups, but jobs should be a much greater focus when making your decision. It's one thing to take the visit into account, but that type of consideration should definitely be done after you have narrowed it down to the schools that offer the best opportunities for your career.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:52 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:It's law school, not an exotic vacation. Your small URM segment/ "experience" is the exact same experience as the other 200 white kids in your class. Unless you want an intercity atmosphere or some other specific aspect just do your research and visit. I seriously doubt schools cater all that much to their urm students in terms of providing a specialized or altered "experience" for them

I understand that its not an "exotic vacation." I don't know why you had to be such an a$$ about it.

I am not saying that a school "caters" to their URMs. But, I was thinking if it was anything like my MBA, that some schools have much stronger diversity initiatives/programs or even just stronger BLSA chapters. Many top MBA programs are a part of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management... I didn't think law schools had an equivalent, but I wasn't sure even if an individual school was known for a program of some sort.

Also, I wasn't sure how or if race relations in different schools were... some schools being more self-segregated than others. My undergrad experience made me think that this was certainly possible, but not probable. Wasn't sure if some law schools are known for certain cultures that would help or not help a URM.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:56 am

If it is that big a concern for you just go to Howard. Im sure they will toss you some $$ with your lsat score.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:59 am

Rand M. wrote:Visting is the only way, but honestly, you can't find much about this because it doesn't really matter. Most places are going to be pretty much the same. There will be racial prejudices present in the student body at every school. There will be minority populations at every school. Different schools will have varying levels of cohesion between different groups, but jobs should be a much greater focus when making your decision. It's one thing to take the visit into account, but that type of consideration should definitely be done after you have narrowed it down to the schools that offer the best opportunities for your career.

Thanks. I am certainly ordering my priorities with law school selection, but it was a question I had and I don't know too many law school students, so I figured this was the best place to ask. This consideration is very very very low on the totem pole, but to put it bluntly, I wanted to make sure I wasn't walking into a significant culture of prejudice at certain schools.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:01 am

tkgrrett wrote:If it is that big a concern for you just go to Howard. Im sure they will toss you some $$ with your lsat score.

No, not a big concern. Just trying to get all of my questions answered, and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an elephant in the room.

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:15 am

If you go to LSAC's page you can get exact numbers of the student body break up...

I would contact the BLSA at the schools...
Think also about the local community, and where the students generally come from.

It is just really hard to know without visiting and talking to random people while visiting.

For example, I got two letters from the BLSA at Columbia but I dont know if that means they have a strong organization there or they are trying to create a strong organization. Why are they actively contacting me? I have no idea. It is kind of like the fee waiver thing, it doesn't really mean anything; you might not even get accepted. Although, if you email them directed questions then compare responses, i'm sure you will be able to read between the lines.

All of this should be secondary, however, to job prospects. Remember you will not have the ball in your court generally when picking a firm and most likely you will be surrounded by the "others." So you minus well get used to those easily sunburnt humans.

Also, there are a lot of famous posters here whom you should PM.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks DieAntwood, I will do that after the New Year. That is great advice and something that I hadn't thought of. As I previously stated, this consideration is extremely low on the totem pole, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious.

I have been surrounded by "others" my whole life although I certainly don't see it that way. This topic has certainly gone in a different way that I thought it would. I am a suburban, Irish high school educated, reasonably-well traveled, bilingual woman, and by no means am looking for a "Howard" or a place where there are fewer easily sunbunt humans :P I wasn't thinking Black Power or anything by this topic...lol

In fact, I was looking to see if schools were notable for race being more of a non-issue and there was less self-segregation. And, as a sidenote was wondering if there were any racist cultures prevalent at specific law schools. I will certainly do my due diligence and visit.

I am amazed this topic hasn't come up before on TLS. For example, I googled Duke law about three minutes ago (finishing my Why Duke essay), and the fourth or so link is Above-the-law and includes an article on race in response to an earlier article on race.

--LinkRemoved--
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/09/duke-law-school-asks-why-do-black-people-hate-us/

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:12 pm

I would say the best bet is to talk to current URMs at the schools you're thinking about attending. They have the best insight and can tell you things a website can't, what the general feel is at the school, if there's self segregation, do they feel comfortable, how are they treated by classmates, info on their BLSA chapter. I love my school and couldn't be happier here. I'm open to answering any questions via PM about it.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:19 pm

This question is almost too subjective to answer without any anecdotes of real experiences on each campus. Even then, people's experiences at each law school will vary wildly. My best advice would be to visit the schools, or reach out to current students at the campuses in question.

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:24 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:First, I tried to do a search for this topic and failed miserably, so if someone has (or can find) a link to this topic, it would be greatly appreciated.

To cut to the chase, I want to know the "best experience tier ones" for URMs. I don't care too much about admit numbers, but I'm looking to see if there are any schools that really stand out for the experience they offer to URMs and particularly AAs.

For background info on me: I am applying to a good # of schools (LSAC fee waiver), 20+ apps from all east coast schools in the top 35 or so. I have a 3.38 and a 161, URM = black female. I have my MBA. Waiting for my Dec LSAT retake.

I am in at W&L and W&M and waiting on all of the others. I wanted to know how to get the inside scoop on schools from a URM perspective. I will visit almost every school I get into (most are east coast). I have heard negative things about the conservative culture at W&L and not good things about Duke, but what's the best way to discover the culture of these schools? Is the only way visiting?

You could check out their organizations! One of the reasons I decided to ED to Michigan was their latino association. They seemed like an awesome support group, so if that is the kind of stuff you're looking for then just do a little research on their websites, good luck!

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks to everyone for their responses! I will follow through with all of your suggestions.

Glad some folks realize I wasn't considering law school was to be an "exotic vacation" :x

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:02 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:First, I tried to do a search for this topic and failed miserably, so if someone has (or can find) a link to this topic, it would be greatly appreciated.

Lets be real: Unless an HBCU affiliate, US law schools are predominated by Caucasian students. I would say that any top law school in an ethnically and culturally diverse setting, preferably large city, allows for opportunities that can greatly improve your social experience as an AA student.

Best cities for AA URMs or any URM for that matter:

1. DC
2. NYC
3. Atlanta
4. Los Angeles
5. Chicago

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”