0L SEO Corporate Law Internship Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
djfe4president

New

Re: 0L SEO Corporate Law Internship

Post by djfe4president » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:04 pm

got the interview invite...lets make it happen

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:09 pm

Last edited by ksimon2007 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djfe4president

New

Post by djfe4president » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:39 pm

i cant recall but I think in Sept...

good luck to everyone

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:45 pm

How do you guys find how much it pays? Also if you are deferring would you want to wait till next summer (so as to do it right before heading to LS?)

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Last edited by ksimon2007 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:55 pm

I wish they had an info session here. So if you are taking a year off before law school do you wait till the summer before you are going?

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Last edited by ksimon2007 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:56 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:I wish they had an info session here. So if you are taking a year off before law school do you wait till the summer before you are going?
Yeah, you wait until the summer before law school.

Also, these days it pays $1000-1300.

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:18 pm

Bump for this application cycle. Has anyone applied yet?

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:31 pm

hoping for an interview invite...has anyone received theirs?

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:40 pm

I applied a bit ago (maybe a week or so), no interview invite yet, wasn't really expecting it. I figure they'll contact once acceptances roll in and whatnot, looking at one guys LSN he had the interview in Feb. I think:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/miracle2011/jd

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:13 am

hyakku wrote:I applied a bit ago (maybe a week or so), no interview invite yet, wasn't really expecting it. I figure they'll contact once acceptances roll in and whatnot, looking at one guys LSN he had the interview in Feb. I think:

His numbers give me hope, at least to receive in interview invitation! Thanks for sharing. :)

What market did you preference? I am hoping for DC. Well Houston really, but I figured "living closer to my S/O" was not an essay-worthy reason...haha!!

BTW, I was just informed that you should continually update your application every time you receive an acceptance.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:32 pm

1212 wrote:
hyakku wrote:I applied a bit ago (maybe a week or so), no interview invite yet, wasn't really expecting it. I figure they'll contact once acceptances roll in and whatnot, looking at one guys LSN he had the interview in Feb. I think:

His numbers give me hope, at least to receive in interview invitation! Thanks for sharing. :)

What market did you preference? I am hoping for DC. Well Houston really, but I figured "living closer to my S/O" was not an essay-worthy reason...haha!!

BTW, I was just informed that you should continually update your application every time you receive an acceptance.

Thanks for the advice man.
Last edited by hyakku on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:31 pm

Just got the interview invitation via email!!!!!!

Excited!!!

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:32 pm

1212 wrote:Just got the interview invitation via email!!!!!!

Excited!!!

Niiiiice. Was hoping you got one too. Where's kobe with his? TLS URM AA more acronym takeover of SEO? let's goooo

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:43 pm

hyakku wrote:

Excited!!!

Niiiiice. Was hoping you got one too. Where's kobe with his? TLS URM AA more acronym takeover of SEO? let's goooo
Yes!! Congrats!! Yeah, Kobe will be here too along with Champion!

Hope you get the interview location you want! This seems like the first round of emails so hopefully a lot of time slots will be available. :D

I am so excited.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:19 pm

1212 wrote:
hyakku wrote:

Excited!!!

Yes!! Congrats!! Yeah, Kobe will be here too along with Champion!

Hope you get the interview location you want! This seems like the first round of emails so hopefully a lot of time slots will be available. :D

I am so excited.
I need to take a look at what dates and everything are available. I'm on a layover at a Vegas airport so I figured I'd wait till I settle down tomorrow after thebfirst round of hitting friends up and whatnot and go over it.

Paging Kobe and champion.
Last edited by hyakku on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shbe0701

New

Post by shbe0701 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:43 am

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:15 am

Checking in. Not sure if I want to be Kobe right now after 2 straight preseason losses to the Clippers.... Damnit.

Congrats 1212! I think this is the first round of emails so hopefully there will be a lot of slots available. I applied on 11/28, which was the 2nd round, so I might have to wait a bit for an interview invite. I've been going to school for the past four years at a UC in SoCal (think UCLA or UCSD) and have been living here my entire life so I'm hoping that I can get into a firm in LA.

Let's keep the good news coming!

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:32 pm

I know Kobe, saw that loss. Did you update your profile there with an acceptance yet? Pretty sure thats probably needed.

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:31 pm

Interview invite here as well. Cool. Has anyone else on the East Coast had trouble scheduling their interview? I keep searching for availability in DC or NYC and there isn't any. I am not studying abroad, but I'm thinking of doing a Skype interview just so I don't have to fly somewhere to do it...

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Nice amc, hadn't seen you around in a bit. Yea, it's not showing any NYC availability for me, which kind of sucks because I'm here in Jersey like five minutes away from their HQ for the next few days. Thankfully, it looks like they host the LA interviews on my campus (or they did last month), and since I didn't bring any suits it worked out for me.

How are you guys going about trying to choose a first choice? I indicated LA for now, but I'm thinking of switching it to NYC. The only thing is that I would love to return to LA after LS ideally, but had not planned on it in the slightest with the CA market, plus if I left the state for three years I know there would be questions of ties. Working over the summer in a firm though might be worth it to me if I could return for good.

It's a great decision to have to be making either way around Christmas, now only to nail the interview.
Last edited by hyakku on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:19 pm

hyakku wrote:Nice amc, hadn't seen you around in a bit. Yea, it's not showing any NYC availability for me, which kind of sucks because I'm here in Jersey like five minutes away from their HQ for the next few days. Thankfully, it looks like they host the LA interviews on my campus (or they did last month), and since I didn't bring any suits it worked out for me.

How are you guys going about trying to choose a first choice? I'm hung up between all of them except Houston. I can see wanting to get a foothold in the Bay if I'm up near Berkeley or magically Stanford if I ever apply (lol doubtful), but LA would be really convenient for me as I'd just move my stuff into another house across the street with some of my old roommates, but since I know I won't be going to school in LA, it may cause problems when the beginning of next year starts. D.C. would be cool if I attend Gtown, and NYC would of course be solid for CLS/Mich/NYU/CHI/Penn etc., as well as letting me take advantage of living at home and saving even more cash. I indicated LA for now, but I'm thinking of switching it to NYC. The only thing is that I would love to return to LA after LS ideally, but had not planned on it in the slightest with the CA market, plus if I left the state for three years I know there would be questions of ties. Working over the summer in a firm though might be worth it to me if I could return for good.

It's a great decision to have to be making either way around Christmas, now only to nail the interview.
Same here with the interviews. My top interview location has a bit of availability but I will be in Boston (Which only has availability when I will be home...classic). It would be pretty awesome to be able to interview on campus. Hope you get it. I think more dates will open up. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

You have quite a quandary w/r/t which market to preference. It seems like you can't go wrong wherever you end up. Many of the firms have offices in DC AND NY as well as other places like LA and San Fran. This leads me to believe that if you got to work at a firm in NYC, for example, that it may even have an office in DC or LA. Either way, all of these firms are large and reputatable and I think would be a huge plus on your appl. It may be a better apporoach to look at what these firms actually do. The DC firms represented have strong regulatory aspects, maybe the ones in Palo Alto are more IP related? I am completely just guessing, please correct me if I am wrong. I choose DC because since my focus is more govt/PI, I felt like I could tie why I was interested in private practice into my interests and experience. I am preferencing DC, Houston (to be close to home), and SF Bay (bc I am pretty set on Stanford).

I am really excited though. I am worried about the interview it seems intimidating. I guess the first hurdle is actually finding an interview slot. lol. I'll go ahead and worry about that first...

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:39 pm

hyakku wrote:Nice amc, hadn't seen you around in a bit. Yea, it's not showing any NYC availability for me, which kind of sucks because I'm here in Jersey like five minutes away from their HQ for the next few days.
Thanks, hyakku. And I'm surprised you haven't seen me around. I've been doing a bit of celebrating and a lot of lamenting (mostly about schools taking so long to process my apps, but some about being sans KB1. Sigh). Anyway, it's good that you're in the same boat I am. I thought it must've just been something I was doing wrong not to see any availability for DC or NYC. How has your cycle been going?
1212 wrote:t may be a better apporoach to look at what these firms actually do. The DC firms represented have strong regulatory aspects, maybe the ones in Palo Alto are more IP related? I am completely just guessing, please correct me if I am wrong. I choose DC because since my focus is more govt/PI, I felt like I could tie why I was interested in private practice into my interests and experience. I am preferencing DC, Houston (to be close to home), and SF Bay (bc I am pretty set on Stanford).
I think that there are small differences in what the firms do. The international law firms tend to be centered in DC and NYC, the Bay area has more IP, etc. But I think that in the context of what interns will actually be doing -- assisting with general corporate law-related work in fields like M&A, securities, etc.-- the special practice areas of each firm may not be so important. In fact, I think there's probably so many similarities among these large corporate firms that it might be difficult to differentiate them at all. I've heard that firm culture varies, but that's much more difficult to determine from a website than from actually going and meeting associates who work there.

I went to an SEO info session earlier this fall and they stressed that they try to place people in or close to the cities they'd eventually like to practice in. This also ties into which school you end up attending. So it would be unlikely for someone attending UVA to get placed in LA, for example, but the soon-to-be Columbia student could very well get placed in NYC. I'm not sure how this works if you attend a place with national-level prestige (i.e. Stanford) and aren't interested in practicing in California. The people who talked also said it was important to figure out whether you're more interested in transactional law or litigation because that can have an impact on your placement as well.

It sounds like a great opportunity, though. I'm more PI-focused in theory, but it'd be great to get some corporate experience under my belt before I start!
Last edited by amc987 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:41 pm

Does your order of desirable locations affect placement?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”