CLEO 2011? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kristina88

New

Re: CLEO 2011?

Post by kristina88 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:53 pm

Is there a Facebook page for SD?

clevermoose

New

Post by clevermoose » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:21 pm

kristina88 wrote:Is there a Facebook page for SD?
i've been wondering this too. maybe we should create one?

Jayb327

New

Post by Jayb327 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Since the Des Moines group has an FB page, and the San Diego group is SOOO much cooler ;), I figure its only right that San Diego goers have a group page as well.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 40764&ap=1

Enjoy!

Jayb327

New

Post by Jayb327 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:20 pm

If the link doesnt work, just search CLEO Summer Institute 2011- San Diego California in the search box

Gaucho

New

Post by Gaucho » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:42 pm

How is CLEO going for everyone at Drake in Iowa? It's been a week now.

sceva31st

New

Post by sceva31st » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:29 pm

Intense! Most people got about 4-5 hours of sleep last night because of the work load we were given. I know one guy who was up all night long preparing for today's classes.

This program is tip-top and they are committed to helping you succeed. I am REALLY impressed by their genuine desire to help you out and get you off on the right foot in law school. I cannot say enough nice things about the faculty and staff here at Drake University. What the location lacks in desirability (most people were not thrilled to be in Iowa), it is more than made up by the instructors and support staff.

From what I heard, the people in SD will be making about a 45 minute commute to campus. I advise you bring a backpack or something to carry all of the materials you will need for the day.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

maqkitty214

New

Post by maqkitty214 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:47 am

sceva31st is right. We got our bootys kicked these first few days. You really hit the ground running right off. The materials were large (lots of books, big books, etc.) so a comfortable backpack would be ideal.

Everyone in Des Moines has been super friendly! The front desk guy at the hotel I stayed at the first night, the kids who work in the dorms, cafeteria, even people working at the Walmart, etc. It's a really friendly town.

The profs are really excited to be teaching. They elected to do this program so they're obviously pretty committed. They're very helpful and accessible. Also, the deans are really friendly and accessible too.

It has been a lot of reading, but once we start school in the fall we'll be miles ahead of our peers. We'll know how to write memos, letters, etc., how to outline for ourselves, how to brief a case, and how to survive when the work and reading assignments keep coming.

Good luck, San Diegoers! It'll fly by really quickly!

Gaucho

New

Post by Gaucho » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:38 am

bad news... :(

"Dear CLEO/Thurgood Marshall Fellows:

As you know, the Thurgood Marshall Legal Educational Opportunity Program, which is administered by CLEO, was recently “zeroed out” of the FY2011 federal budget. Without the $3 million in federal funds, it is highly improbable that CLEO will be able to provide financial assistance awards to you this fall. Consequently, we have asked the Assistant Dean for Financial Aid at your law school to help you identify alternative sources of financial assistance to cover your cost of attendance. A copy of the letter we sent them is attached for your records.

We sincerely regret the financial impact that will result from this loss. Although we are in the process of implementing a strategic effort to secure federal funding for FY2012, we are not overly optimistic, considering the current economic climate. Best wishes for a highly successful academic year!

Yours truly,
Council on Legal Education Opportunity"

smartinez

New

Post by smartinez » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:40 pm

So now that the mystery is out what are some other concerns CLEO scholars have?

1. What about going to D.C. sponsored by CLEO
2. If funding is restored are scholarships retroactive
3. Is CLEO still relevant

Flett

Bronze

Post by Flett » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:37 pm

smartinez wrote:So now that the mystery is out what are some other concerns CLEO scholars have?

1. What about going to D.C. sponsored by CLEO
2. If funding is restored are scholarships retroactive
3. Is CLEO still relevant
1. There's a possibility of CLEO going regional.
2. No idea, but sounds pretty unlikely.
3. IMO, yes.

It's disheartening that there is no funding for the CLEO fellows. However, the experience I had, and the people I met, were well worth the $2000 price tag. I absolutely love my new CLEO Drake/Iowa family and I am certain that the bonds we made will prove valuable in the coming years. There is definitely a hefty handful of people I will be keeping in touch with long term, on personal as well as professional levels. I don't regret attending the six week summer institute in the slightest.

I'll leave it up to other CLEO Fellows to add additional details if they so desire, this is just my two cents.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:03 am

Does the above mean that CLEO will not be giving out the travel stipends for those that have already attended a program (AIE)?

sceva31st

New

Post by sceva31st » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:05 am

Flett wrote: 1. There's a possibility of CLEO going regional.
2. No idea, but sounds pretty unlikely.
3. IMO, yes.

It's disheartening that there is no funding for the CLEO fellows. However, the experience I had, and the people I met, were well worth the $2000 price tag. I absolutely love my new CLEO Drake/Iowa family and I am certain that the bonds we made will prove valuable in the coming years. There is definitely a hefty handful of people I will be keeping in touch with long term, on personal as well as professional levels. I don't regret attending the six week summer institute in the slightest.

I'll leave it up to other CLEO Fellows to add additional details if they so desire, this is just my two cents.
+1

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”