Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
masterthearts

Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby masterthearts » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:36 am

I am "other Hispanic" and white and I know that that category gave me quite a boost in the college app process with scholarships from almost every school I applied to (not based on need).
I ultimately decided to attend an Ivy (no money).
Naturally, I can't help but think "other Hispanic" will give me a boost for law school and help me get into schools I otherwise might not have gotten into. I am also bilingual.
I know TLS says you only get a boost if you are mexican puerto rican.
Are there any "other Hispanics" out there who believe they received a boost, particularly for schools in the Northeast. I realized it may not give a boost for CA and TX (but I'm not applying to schools there anyway).
How about those who feel that "other Hispanic" did not help at all.
I am hoping that "other Hispanic" will help me get into schools for which I am in the 25th percentile for lsat score.
For example, I took the Oct lsat for the first time and I am expecting to get a 159-160 (same as on my practice tests). Univ of Minnesota's 25th percentile is 159. So, I'm hoping to get into a school like that since they probably don't have many Hispanics. period

Any thoughts?

cowgirl_bebop

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:08 am

Im curious about this as well. Im black and Honduran, so although Im not the traditional PR or Mexican URM, I'm hoping to get at least a bit of URM love

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:14 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Im curious about this as well. Im black and Honduran, so although Im not the traditional PR or Mexican URM, I'm hoping to get at least a bit of I will get URM love

FTFY

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:11 pm

I think it has been said to vary school to school and that there has been a slight bump for non-MX/PR Hispanics though nowhere close to MX/PR. Vanwinkle might have some info on this but I can't recall right now.

oreo3405

Postby oreo3405 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Bumping this topic up since I am curious as well being an "other Hispanic." Thanks!

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:50 pm

bk1 wrote:I think it has been said to vary school to school and that there has been a slight bump for non-MX/PR Hispanics though nowhere close to MX/PR. Vanwinkle might have some info on this but I can't recall right now.

This is still the answer as far as I know

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:51 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Im curious about this as well. Im black and Honduran, so although Im not the traditional PR or Mexican URM, I'm hoping to get at least a bit of I will get URM love

FTFY

Yea, for all intents and purposes you are black. Lucky bastard.

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:26 pm

oreo3405 wrote:Bumping this topic up since I am curious as well being an "other Hispanic." Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, the OP got into Georgetown already. So, s/he probably got some type of URM boost.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:15 am

casterfield wrote:
oreo3405 wrote:Bumping this topic up since I am curious as well being an "other Hispanic." Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, the OP got into Georgetown already. So, s/he probably got some type of URM boost.

Yep, in at Georgetown and T30 school, plus 2 ranked lower with scholarships. Waiting to hear from 6 other T14 schools.
I'd like to think it wasn't a URM boost. I'd like to think I got in due to a high gpa from an ivy and great extracurrics and PS. But, i guess I'll never know. I am proficient in Spanish and my extracurrics demonstrated that; perhaps that helped.

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:55 pm

Great post! I think it does make somewhat of a difference. I am a Hispanic applicant, non-Mex/PR. So far in at Loyola, UIUC (both with money). However, I am also a non-trad applicant. You can see my stats on law school numbers under nelaw2010.

Good luck to all of you!

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:42 am

I hope so, I am Cuban and applied to alot of reaches this cycle, hoping I can get a boost and hit one or two. I will update my decisions as my cycle progresses.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:21 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:I hope so, I am Cuban and applied to alot of reaches this cycle, hoping I can get a boost and hit one or two. I will update my decisions as my cycle progresses.

+1, same exact situation here. As a general rule I've been getting into schools with my LSAT below 25 percentile, but I'm also an extreme reverse splitter.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:18 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I hope so, I am Cuban and applied to alot of reaches this cycle, hoping I can get a boost and hit one or two. I will update my decisions as my cycle progresses.

+1, same exact situation here. As a general rule I've been getting into schools with my LSAT below 25 percentile, but I'm also an extreme reverse splitter.

I'm 3.51/163, I hope I can crack some T-30's b/c I honestly won't dip below that. Good luck on you're cycle bro, keep me updated.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Im a Cuban LSAT 156 GPA 3.8 Good Softs, Medical Mission to Ecuador. Id like to get into a Florida School. Any thoughts? Thanks.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:51 pm

drummerboy wrote:Im a Cuban LSAT 156 GPA 3.8 Good Softs, Medical Mission to Ecuador. Id like to get into a Florida School. Any thoughts? Thanks.

For Florida schools, that will be really iffy for URM status since so many people are Cuban. I plugged in your numbers in LSP (without URM boost) and here are the results.

Florida--consider
Florida State--consider
Miami--strong consider
Barry--admit
Florida Coastal--admit
FIU--admit
Stetson--admit

couldn't think of any other schools, so sorry if the list is incomplete.

My opinion is you should really look at UF, FSU, and Miami. The rest are T3/T4-- I think you should shoot higher with your softs.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:52 pm

drummerboy wrote:Im a Cuban LSAT 156 GPA 3.8 Good Softs, Medical Mission to Ecuador. Id like to get into a Florida School. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Try UM

paisaaa

Postby paisaaa » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Last edited by paisaaa on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:00 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:

For Florida schools, that will be really iffy for URM status since so many people are Cuban. I plugged in your numbers in LSP (without URM boost) and here are the results.

Florida--consider
Florida State--consider
Miami--strong consider
Barry--admit
Florida Coastal--admit
FIU--admit
Stetson--admit

My opinion is you should really look at UF, FSU, and Miami. The rest are T3/T4-- I think you should shoot higher with your softs.

Most probably admit at UM, FSU I'd say a small shot at FSU, no shot at UF.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:05 pm

2011Law wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:

Florida--consider
Florida State--consider
Miami--strong consider
Barry--admit
Florida Coastal--admit
FIU--admit
Stetson--admit

Most probably admit at UM, FSU I'd say a small shot at FSU, no shot at UF.

I would still apply to all three though, whether you get in or not, and just be prepared to be rejected at UF. Unless of course, you have time to retake and apply next cycle, then you could def get in to all of them with a little higher LSAT.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:12 pm

Thanks everyone. Excellent work. My first choice is U of Miami. I have applied to all. Ive heard good things about FIU. Upcoming, Great Bar Passng rate, job offers. Any thoughts.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:16 am

drummerboy wrote:Thanks everyone. Excellent work. My first choice is U of Miami. I have applied to all. Ive heard good things about FIU. Upcoming, Great Bar Passng rate, job offers. Any thoughts.

Eh. If you want the best possible job in Florida, it's UF or FSU. UM would suffice. I wouldn't dip below that, unless you get a scholly.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:11 am

I do appreciate all of your input. Thanks. I will keep you posted.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:43 pm

drummerboy wrote:I do appreciate all of your input. Thanks. I will keep you posted.

Ight man. Good luck.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 pm

I was waitlisted at W and L yesterday and an AA female with lesser scores got accepted on the same day. Im no longer expecting anything from the Hispanic URM status. I also stopped inserting it into the LSP calculator.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”