Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby masterthearts » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:36 am

I am "other Hispanic" and white and I know that that category gave me quite a boost in the college app process with scholarships from almost every school I applied to (not based on need).
I ultimately decided to attend an Ivy (no money).
Naturally, I can't help but think "other Hispanic" will give me a boost for law school and help me get into schools I otherwise might not have gotten into. I am also bilingual.
I know TLS says you only get a boost if you are mexican puerto rican.
Are there any "other Hispanics" out there who believe they received a boost, particularly for schools in the Northeast. I realized it may not give a boost for CA and TX (but I'm not applying to schools there anyway).
How about those who feel that "other Hispanic" did not help at all.
I am hoping that "other Hispanic" will help me get into schools for which I am in the 25th percentile for lsat score.
For example, I took the Oct lsat for the first time and I am expecting to get a 159-160 (same as on my practice tests). Univ of Minnesota's 25th percentile is 159. So, I'm hoping to get into a school like that since they probably don't have many Hispanics. period

Any thoughts?

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:08 am

Im curious about this as well. Im black and Honduran, so although Im not the traditional PR or Mexican URM, I'm hoping to get at least a bit of URM love

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:14 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Im curious about this as well. Im black and Honduran, so although Im not the traditional PR or Mexican URM, I'm hoping to get at least a bit of I will get URM love


FTFY

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:11 pm

I think it has been said to vary school to school and that there has been a slight bump for non-MX/PR Hispanics though nowhere close to MX/PR. Vanwinkle might have some info on this but I can't recall right now.

User avatar
oreo3405
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby oreo3405 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Bumping this topic up since I am curious as well being an "other Hispanic." Thanks!

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby Fresh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:50 pm

bk1 wrote:I think it has been said to vary school to school and that there has been a slight bump for non-MX/PR Hispanics though nowhere close to MX/PR. Vanwinkle might have some info on this but I can't recall right now.


This is still the answer as far as I know

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby Ragged » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:51 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Im curious about this as well. Im black and Honduran, so although Im not the traditional PR or Mexican URM, I'm hoping to get at least a bit of I will get URM love


FTFY


Yea, for all intents and purposes you are black. Lucky bastard.

casterfield
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby casterfield » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:26 pm

oreo3405 wrote:Bumping this topic up since I am curious as well being an "other Hispanic." Thanks!


If I'm not mistaken, the OP got into Georgetown already. So, s/he probably got some type of URM boost.

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby masterthearts » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:15 am

casterfield wrote:
oreo3405 wrote:Bumping this topic up since I am curious as well being an "other Hispanic." Thanks!


If I'm not mistaken, the OP got into Georgetown already. So, s/he probably got some type of URM boost.


Yep, in at Georgetown and T30 school, plus 2 ranked lower with scholarships. Waiting to hear from 6 other T14 schools.
I'd like to think it wasn't a URM boost. I'd like to think I got in due to a high gpa from an ivy and great extracurrics and PS. But, i guess I'll never know. I am proficient in Spanish and my extracurrics demonstrated that; perhaps that helped.

nelaw2010
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:48 am

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby nelaw2010 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:55 pm

Great post! I think it does make somewhat of a difference. I am a Hispanic applicant, non-Mex/PR. So far in at Loyola, UIUC (both with money). However, I am also a non-trad applicant. You can see my stats on law school numbers under nelaw2010.

Good luck to all of you!

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:42 am

I hope so, I am Cuban and applied to alot of reaches this cycle, hoping I can get a boost and hit one or two. I will update my decisions as my cycle progresses.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:21 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:I hope so, I am Cuban and applied to alot of reaches this cycle, hoping I can get a boost and hit one or two. I will update my decisions as my cycle progresses.


+1, same exact situation here. As a general rule I've been getting into schools with my LSAT below 25 percentile, but I'm also an extreme reverse splitter.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:18 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I hope so, I am Cuban and applied to alot of reaches this cycle, hoping I can get a boost and hit one or two. I will update my decisions as my cycle progresses.


+1, same exact situation here. As a general rule I've been getting into schools with my LSAT below 25 percentile, but I'm also an extreme reverse splitter.



I'm 3.51/163, I hope I can crack some T-30's b/c I honestly won't dip below that. Good luck on you're cycle bro, keep me updated.

drummerboy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby drummerboy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Im a Cuban LSAT 156 GPA 3.8 Good Softs, Medical Mission to Ecuador. Id like to get into a Florida School. Any thoughts? Thanks.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:51 pm

drummerboy wrote:Im a Cuban LSAT 156 GPA 3.8 Good Softs, Medical Mission to Ecuador. Id like to get into a Florida School. Any thoughts? Thanks.


For Florida schools, that will be really iffy for URM status since so many people are Cuban. I plugged in your numbers in LSP (without URM boost) and here are the results.

Florida--consider
Florida State--consider
Miami--strong consider
Barry--admit
Florida Coastal--admit
FIU--admit
Stetson--admit

couldn't think of any other schools, so sorry if the list is incomplete.

My opinion is you should really look at UF, FSU, and Miami. The rest are T3/T4-- I think you should shoot higher with your softs.

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby JaLeCa » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:52 pm

drummerboy wrote:Im a Cuban LSAT 156 GPA 3.8 Good Softs, Medical Mission to Ecuador. Id like to get into a Florida School. Any thoughts? Thanks.


Try UM

User avatar
paisaaa
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby paisaaa » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:59 pm

.
Last edited by paisaaa on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby 2011Law » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:00 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
drummerboy wrote:Im a Cuban LSAT 156 GPA 3.8 Good Softs, Medical Mission to Ecuador. Id like to get into a Florida School. Any thoughts? Thanks.


For Florida schools, that will be really iffy for URM status since so many people are Cuban. I plugged in your numbers in LSP (without URM boost) and here are the results.

Florida--consider
Florida State--consider
Miami--strong consider
Barry--admit
Florida Coastal--admit
FIU--admit
Stetson--admit

couldn't think of any other schools, so sorry if the list is incomplete.

My opinion is you should really look at UF, FSU, and Miami. The rest are T3/T4-- I think you should shoot higher with your softs.


Most probably admit at UM, FSU I'd say a small shot at FSU, no shot at UF.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:05 pm

2011Law wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
drummerboy wrote:Im a Cuban LSAT 156 GPA 3.8 Good Softs, Medical Mission to Ecuador. Id like to get into a Florida School. Any thoughts? Thanks.


For Florida schools, that will be really iffy for URM status since so many people are Cuban. I plugged in your numbers in LSP (without URM boost) and here are the results.

Florida--consider
Florida State--consider
Miami--strong consider
Barry--admit
Florida Coastal--admit
FIU--admit
Stetson--admit

couldn't think of any other schools, so sorry if the list is incomplete.

My opinion is you should really look at UF, FSU, and Miami. The rest are T3/T4-- I think you should shoot higher with your softs.


Most probably admit at UM, FSU I'd say a small shot at FSU, no shot at UF.


I would still apply to all three though, whether you get in or not, and just be prepared to be rejected at UF. Unless of course, you have time to retake and apply next cycle, then you could def get in to all of them with a little higher LSAT.

drummerboy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby drummerboy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:12 pm

Thanks everyone. Excellent work. My first choice is U of Miami. I have applied to all. Ive heard good things about FIU. Upcoming, Great Bar Passng rate, job offers. Any thoughts.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:16 am

drummerboy wrote:Thanks everyone. Excellent work. My first choice is U of Miami. I have applied to all. Ive heard good things about FIU. Upcoming, Great Bar Passng rate, job offers. Any thoughts.


Eh. If you want the best possible job in Florida, it's UF or FSU. UM would suffice. I wouldn't dip below that, unless you get a scholly.

drummerboy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby drummerboy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:11 am

I do appreciate all of your input. Thanks. I will keep you posted.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:43 pm

drummerboy wrote:I do appreciate all of your input. Thanks. I will keep you posted.


Ight man. Good luck.

drummerboy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby drummerboy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks

drummerboy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby drummerboy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 pm

I was waitlisted at W and L yesterday and an AA female with lesser scores got accepted on the same day. Im no longer expecting anything from the Hispanic URM status. I also stopped inserting it into the LSP calculator.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests