In need of some advice, seriously. Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Bricp310

New

In need of some advice, seriously.

Post by Bricp310 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 pm

Guys and Gals of this forum, I am in need of some advice...
While in my first years of community college I masterfully perfected the art of being lousy, I failed some classes, and pretty much did horrible in the rest of em'. I simply lacked motivation, and didn't have any purpose for going to school other than the fact that it was "school." One morning, I slapped myself a couple of times in the face, and picked up the slack. In the next couple of years, I raised my GPA, received some dean's honor list awards and packed my bags for UCLA. I graduated UCLA as an English major, did two other minors, participated in the English and Poli Sci Honor's societies and finished school with a 3.54 GPA (3.83 in my senior year while still taking legit classes). Now in the face of the law school application process, my community college GPA (2.57) has reared its UGLY head and seems to be ready to drown me out from the competition. I don't have an LSAT score yet, nor do I have an LSDAS GPA but I'm sure it won't be close to stunning. What I'm asking all you lovely people is to measure my chances, while I'll never let go of my chances of ending up at Columbia (don't laugh) I need to know where I stand with the help of you guys.

Thanks!

P.S. I am a first-generation student, first to go to college, and am Mexican-American.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: In need of some advice, seriously.

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:06 pm

You'd be in a better position if you had some idea of your GPA. Use this GPA calculator to get an estimate:

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:07 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bricp310

New

Post by Bricp310 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:07 pm

I'll check that out, thanks.

Bricp310

New

Post by Bricp310 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:47 pm

So, my LSDAS would be 2.93 (3.54) .....Definitely need an LSAT higher than 165 for any chance at T1.

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:54 pm

Study like there's no tomorrow.

Bricp310

New

Post by Bricp310 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Haha, will do.

Pip

Bronze

Post by Pip » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:55 pm

Bricp310 wrote:So, my LSDAS would be 2.93 (3.54) .....Definitely need an LSAT higher than 165 for any chance at T1.
Anything short of a 170 and I think you are going to be looking at T2 or lower schools... T1 schools would likely be a waste of the application fee. Sadly slacking off in your earlier life is going to be an anchor you probably wont get out from under. You will be competing for the same URM spots that are being chased by URM candidates that didn't slack off... Sorry I can't be more encouraging but a T2 school isn't the end of the world.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:00 am

Pip wrote:
Bricp310 wrote:So, my LSDAS would be 2.93 (3.54) .....Definitely need an LSAT higher than 165 for any chance at T1.
Anything short of a 170 and I think you are going to be looking at T2 or lower schools... T1 schools would likely be a waste of the application fee. Sadly slacking off in your earlier life is going to be an anchor you probably wont get out from under. You will be competing for the same URM spots that are being chased by URM candidates that didn't slack off... Sorry I can't be more encouraging but a T2 school isn't the end of the world.
Lolwut? No. Multiple non-URMs with 167s and lower GPAs got into and got money from T25 schools like WUSTL and Illinois. No guarantees, but several URMs with a GPA in your range and an LSAT below 164 got into WUSTL with $$. Columbia's almost certainly not happening, but if it did you'd probably need a 175+. You'll want to check LSN for this information.

Lonagan

Bronze

Post by Lonagan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:19 am

Pip wrote:
A) You can get loads of application fee waivers from T1 schools with an LSAT score under 170, so the comment about app fees being a waste of time is false.

B) Non-URM with high 160s / 2.9x will get admits in the T1, likely with money.

C) URM + strong LSAT (not 170+, just 'strong') = congrats on your good cycle.

Sub 3.0 GPA locks you out of fewer schools than you have fingers, even less so if you have a good LSAT.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”