161 / 3.3 (AA URM): all this waiting is killing me Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
fl0w

Silver

Re: 161 / 3.3 (AA URM): all this waiting is killing me

Post by fl0w » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Yes, I'm set on attending in the fall. I've been working for 5 years and this is my time to go. I actually was going to go back after 4 but waited an additional year. Plus my GF is applying to business schools too... blah blah, it's a timing thing.

Obviously all I can do is just wait. As the thread title implies, the waiting is killing me, and that only becomes more true as more time passes.

I would have loved it if i'd hit 165, but i just wasn't able to do it for whatever combination of traveling for assignments, working 14 hour days, wanting sleep, maintaining a relationship, blah blah. excuses are like butt-holes, etc. (everyone has one and they all stink, for those who don't know that reference), but taking it again would really not change my situation much. Depending on my workload it could just go worse.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:09 am

for anyone that is following my cycle (i know i got a couple PMs from people asking that i keep them updated)

In at U of I !!!
via email from Pless this morning
Complete 12/15
161/3.3 and 5yrs work exp

$20k/year scholarship

carlkenneth

Bronze

Post by carlkenneth » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:25 am

Thought I'd add my two cents to this thread....Another major factor that contributes to low URM LSAT scores is the cost of prep courses. Many (if not most) of our non-URM counterparts invest in Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc. and score higher on the LSAT as a result - many of us just don't have $1200 to shell out (or mommies and daddies that can do so for us).

True, the statistics on AA law schools acceptances are saddening - I agree that it has a lot to do with overestimation of chances and a failure to take the admissions process seriously. A few years ago, right out of college, I was in that boat. I took the LSAT having only studied for one week and got a 150. I applied to law school in February for the fall. I wrote a crappy PS. And I didn't get into any of the schools I applied to.

Five years later, studied for 8 months (still couldn't afford a prep course), I retook the LSAT and scored a lot better (though still not as well I wanted to). Now I'm having an amazing cycle. I've been accepted to 10 of the 15 schools that I applied to, including all of my top choices.

So for the OP (and everyone else), have faith. My numbers are much, much lower than yours. If interested (and if you need a confidence booster) I'm on LSN (carlken).

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:30 am

fl0w wrote:for anyone that is following my cycle (i know i got a couple PMs from people asking that i keep them updated)

In at U of I !!!
Complete 12/15

$20k/year scholarship
Get it! Just one of many acceptances to come your way, I'm sure.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:30 am

fl0w wrote:for anyone that is following my cycle (i know i got a couple PMs from people asking that i keep them updated)

In at U of I !!!
Complete 12/15

$20k/year scholarship
Congrats!! Oh and Carl con-freaking-grats on WUSTL!! I want both of you to keep posting here and keep us informed!

2013esq

Bronze

Post by 2013esq » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:11 pm

carlkenneth wrote:Thought I'd add my two cents to this thread....Another major factor that contributes to low URM LSAT scores is the cost of prep courses. Many (if not most) of our non-URM counterparts invest in Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc. and score higher on the LSAT as a result - many of us just don't have $1200 to shell out (or mommies and daddies that can do so for us).

True, the statistics on AA law schools acceptances are saddening - I agree that it has a lot to do with overestimation of chances and a failure to take the admissions process seriously. A few years ago, right out of college, I was in that boat. I took the LSAT having only studied for one week and got a 150. I applied to law school in February for the fall. I wrote a crappy PS. And I didn't get into any of the schools I applied to.

Five years later, studied for 8 months (still couldn't afford a prep course), I retook the LSAT and scored a lot better (though still not as well I wanted to). Now I'm having an amazing cycle. I've been accepted to 10 of the 15 schools that I applied to, including all of my top choices.

So for the OP (and everyone else), have faith. My numbers are much, much lower than yours. If interested (and if you need a confidence booster) I'm on LSN (carlken).

Mind sharing some of your stats? I'm in the same boat as some of the rest here. 160/2.8, 7 years WE, AA Female. I applied in mid-nov and have only heard back from a few schools (still waiting on 15). I guess it's best that schools are really taking the time with my application but I wouldn't mind getting some acceptances!

carlkenneth

Bronze

Post by carlkenneth » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:50 pm

2013esq wrote:
carlkenneth wrote:Thought I'd add my two cents to this thread....Another major factor that contributes to low URM LSAT scores is the cost of prep courses. Many (if not most) of our non-URM counterparts invest in Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc. and score higher on the LSAT as a result - many of us just don't have $1200 to shell out (or mommies and daddies that can do so for us).

Mind sharing some of your stats? I'm in the same boat as some of the rest here. 160/2.8, 7 years WE, AA Female. I applied in mid-nov and have only heard back from a few schools (still waiting on 15). I guess it's best that schools are really taking the time with my application but I wouldn't mind getting some acceptances!
Sure. We're actually very similar:

158/2.77, 7 years WE, AA male.

I started applying mid-October and I've just recently heard back from some of the better schools. I'd take it as a sign that they are seriously considering your application.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:08 am

My Results so far:

DePaul: in w/ 15k per year
UIUC: in w/ 20k per year

Northwestern: Hold
Notre Dame: Waitlist

Michigan: deny
Berkeley: deny

This cycle is killing me. I certainly have what I consider to be a pretty good option at UIUC, but I find myself thinking about scrapping my cycle and trying again next year. As time passes, I get less confident that I will crack the top 14.

groundkontrol

Bronze

Post by groundkontrol » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:18 am

fl0w wrote:My Results so far:

This cycle is killing me. I certainly have what I consider to be a pretty good option at UIUC, but I find myself thinking about scrapping my cycle and trying again next year. As time passes, I get less confident that I will crack the top 14.
Good luck man! Keep your head up and don't give up yet. You've only been rejected by two T14s, which leaves 12 more that you can get accepted to (if you applied to all 14 that is). With your numbers I think you have a decent shot at Cornell Law. I was accepted to Penn when I thought I'd get blocked out from the T14. Anything is possible man!

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Boston University: Waitlist

Harvard: deny (not a shocker)

updated for those following. the more time that passes, the better U of I looks. :)

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:01 am

Penn: deny

out @ penn 3/5/2010

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:28 am

Fordham: in (dunno about $)

in @ Fordham 3/5/2010

groundkontrol

Bronze

Post by groundkontrol » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:06 am

fl0w wrote:

in @ Fordham 3/5/2010
CONGRATS ON FORDHAM!!!! They have been super selective this year. Great job!

carlkenneth

Bronze

Post by carlkenneth » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:49 pm

fl0w wrote:

in @ Fordham 3/5/2010
Wow thats awesome! Congrats on Fordham.

regulator

New

Post by regulator » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:12 am

i applied back in 2008-2009 with similar stats:

URM / hispanic
LSAT 160 (i was averaging mid to high 160s in practice, and i was sure that on test day i could bring it up to a 170... never happened :( )
GPA 3.44 engineering
also did a master's simultaneously in management GPA 3.8

In:
nowhere

out:
columbia
nyu

WL:
fordham

i wish i didn't bomb the LSAT, but whatever, it worked out for the best i hope, as my career is now starting to take a new path. good luck on your journey through l-school though!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:13 am

regulator wrote:i applied back in 2008-2009 with similar stats:

URM / hispanic
LSAT 160 (i was averaging mid to high 160s in practice, and i was sure that on test day i could bring it up to a 170... never happened :( )
GPA 3.44 engineering
also did a master's simultaneously in management GPA 3.8

In:
nowhere

out:
columbia
nyu

WL:
fordham

i wish i didn't bomb the LSAT, but whatever, it worked out for the best i hope, as my career is now starting to take a new path. good luck on your journey through l-school though!
You only applied to three schools?

regulator

New

Post by regulator » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:31 am

yeah only 3. i guess you could say i wasn't 100% sold on the idea of l-school, so i decided to keep the apps local (and didn't apply to all the freebie schools that sent fee waivers). oh well, the l-school app wasn't a total loss. sure the LSAT and the app fees were sunk costs, but at least i was able to re-use some of the LSAT books to study for the GMAT :D

/hijack thread (sorry OP!)

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Chicago-Kent: in w/ 20k per year

This cycle is killing me. Will I crack T14?

in @ Chicago-Kent 3/12/2010

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Fordham: in (7.5k/yr)
WUSTL: in w/ 38k per year from Scholars in Law (YES!)

Cornell: Reserve (i guess that means waitlist?)

Yale: deny
NYU: deny
Stanford: deny

Columbia: no word yet
U Chicago: no word yet
USC: no word yet
UCLA: no word yet
Duke: no word yet

in @ WUSTL 3/22/2010
Last edited by fl0w on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:50 pm

38k per year from WUSTL for Scholars in Law!!! Hot diggity.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:56 pm

fl0w wrote:38k per year from WUSTL for Scholars in Law!!! Hot diggity.
Wow..Congrats.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:03 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
fl0w wrote:38k per year from WUSTL for Scholars in Law!!! Hot diggity.
Wow..Congrats.
thx!

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:58 pm

* double posted *
Last edited by fl0w on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:58 pm

Fordham: in (7.5k/yr)
WUSTL: in w/ 38k per year from Scholars in Law (YES!)

Cornell: Reserve (i guess that means waitlist?)

Northwestern: Hold -> Deny
Yale: deny
NYU: deny
Stanford: deny

Columbia: no word yet
U Chicago: no word yet
USC: no word yet
UCLA: no word yet
Duke: no word yet

out @ northwestern 3/31/2010
I feel like my hopes of cracking T14 died today.
Bolded my most likely option for attendance (which is not a bad option at all). I just need to get over how much the NU ding stings. and it stings so badly.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:14 pm

I'm sorry for the NU ding, flow :(

WUSTL is still a great option and you still have several schools pending. Don't give up yet!!!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”