GLBT: C/O 2015, Grindr/Manhunt, and More Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
indigomachine

Bronze

Re: GLBT: C/O 2015, Grindr/Manhunt, and More

Post by indigomachine » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:24 pm

MSPeast wrote:
indigomachine wrote:or seeing your professor at a gay bar.
As an aside, I've seen one of my professors at one of the (more professionally-oriented) gay bars quite a few times and it's never really been that awkward. Of course, when the prof is only in his 30s, teaches a sexual orientation class in the first place, and the local gay legal community is small (like it is almost everywhere), things like that will happen. Honestly, back in my K-12 days, it was much more awkward running into any teacher outside of school at all.
Yeah... I'd honestly feel pretty weird running into a law prof at a gay bar... or gay club at least, maybe not as bad at a bar.

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 pm

indigomachine wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
indigomachine wrote:or seeing your professor at a gay bar.
As an aside, I've seen one of my professors at one of the (more professionally-oriented) gay bars quite a few times and it's never really been that awkward. Of course, when the prof is only in his 30s, teaches a sexual orientation class in the first place, and the local gay legal community is small (like it is almost everywhere), things like that will happen. Honestly, back in my K-12 days, it was much more awkward running into any teacher outside of school at all.
Yeah... I'd honestly feel pretty weird running into a law prof at a gay bar... or gay club at least, maybe not as bad at a bar.
Get that easy A 8)

sokomofo

Bronze

Post by sokomofo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:38 pm

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:44 pm

sokomofo wrote:i think it would be only as awkward as you make it to be. if you just go up to them and strike up a casual conversation, it wouldnt be that bad. theyre still people you know lol. as long as you dont hit on them or anything like that, i wonder what would be so awkward about running into them at a bar. i would rather see it as a good opportunity to get to know them better.

but then again what do i know? im just a clueless 0L :lol:
Eh... I feel like when profs go to a bar and are not planning on meeting a student, they're probably not super interested in talking to students either.

I could just be projecting my pretty firm work/life division, but to me, bar = place you go where you don't have to deal with work. student/prof = associated with work. I'd feel awkward either for feeling like I have to talk to them when I really don't want to be reminded of anything involving school or because I don't talk to them and we both know who the other is. I'm also not super excited by the idea of flirting with or checking out guys with my civ pro prof in clear sight.

*insert personal jurisdiction joke here*

ETA: all of this is also in the perfect world where no prof is a creeper or awkward all on their own in regular settings

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:34 am

I mean in this situation it really wasn't awkward. It wasn't a club or even a dimly-lit bar. It was before midnight and it was a relatively small bar that is technically only a gay bar one night a week and is aimed at the professional types. It's not a hook-up bar at all. Running into a prof in a dark club or crowded dance floor at 2 AM would be another thing, but in this case it wasn't awkward at all.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:59 am

MSPeast wrote:I mean in this situation it really wasn't awkward. It wasn't a club or even a dimly-lit bar. It was before midnight and it was a relatively small bar that is technically only a gay bar one night a week and is aimed at the professional types. It's not a hook-up bar at all. Running into a prof in a dark club or crowded dance floor at 2 AM would be another thing, but in this case it wasn't awkward at all.
In these situations, it's usually really easy to disappear. And it's not like you're being outed, and if you are closeted, don't go to go hookup club/bars.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:15 pm

MSPeast wrote:I mean in this situation it really wasn't awkward. It wasn't a club or even a dimly-lit bar. It was before midnight and it was a relatively small bar that is technically only a gay bar one night a week and is aimed at the professional types. It's not a hook-up bar at all. Running into a prof in a dark club or crowded dance floor at 2 AM would be another thing, but in this case it wasn't awkward at all.
Yeah that makes sense. I don't think it's always awkward, especially if it's more professionally geared. NYC gay clubs... are not so much...
I can think of one or two where it wouldn't be too bad though.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:18 pm

indigomachine wrote:
Yeah that makes sense. I don't think it's always awkward, especially if it's more professionally geared. NYC gay clubs... are not so much...
True, it's largely contextual. As long as there aren't tubs of Crisco on the bar, you should be fine.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:40 pm

shntn wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
True, it's largely contextual. As long as there aren't tubs of Crisco on the bar, you should be fine.
Mmm... Crisco and profs... lol
howlery wrote:Get that easy A 8)

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:20 pm

IRISH BIGOTRY

Username: OnKneesforJesus4

...slut.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:23 pm

dproduct wrote:IRISH BIGOTRY

Username: OnKneesforJesus4

...slut.
And the Bachmann photo.

Half :evil: / half :lol:

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:36 am

Just found out there is a Hamburger Mary's in St. Louis 8)

+10 for WUSTL

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:36 am

Also, sup everyone?

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:59 pm

Screw this, there should be a C/O 2016 thread

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:09 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Screw this, there should be a C/O 2016 thread
I said that months ago!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:10 pm

danitt wrote:
I said that months ago!
The "manhunt" part really shows this thread's age.

GW1010

Bronze

Post by GW1010 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:51 pm

shntn wrote:
danitt wrote:
I said that months ago!
The "manhunt" part really shows this thread's age.
LMAO +1

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”