what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby Bankhead » Fri May 08, 2009 9:47 am

When you are in at a T10, it's easy to say, "I wouldn't attend any less than T10 at sticker". When you don't have those kind of options, it's a whole other ballgame.

User avatar
Cleareyes
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby Cleareyes » Fri May 08, 2009 9:52 am

nitsudrx wrote:When you are in at a T10, it's easy to say, "I wouldn't attend any less than T10 at sticker". When you don't have those kind of options, it's a whole other ballgame.


It depends what your goals and options are, going into the process. Rayiner is an engineer and can afford to keep on engineering until there ain't nothing left to engineer or he turns 28 and is fired for being too old. That doesn't mean it's always a mistake to pay sticker for a non T10 school for everyone.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Fri May 08, 2009 9:56 am

JuryDueT1000 wrote:I would attend any school that gets me a license to practice law. Two reasons:

1. I'm independently wealthy so I'm not worried about tuition
2. I'm opening my own practice so I don't need to worry about impressing some deutschebag who cares more about my degree name than my inate ability to drum up business and clients

Let's not be racist against Germans, now.

User avatar
Spaceman_Stiff
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:45 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby Spaceman_Stiff » Fri May 08, 2009 10:01 am

At what point is it a mistake? I'm not T10,and in all likelihood not T25 either (I'm looking at you UMN.)

Is a 38 school worth 100k+ in debt over a 60th ranked school?

Or am I better flipping burgers?
Last edited by Spaceman_Stiff on Fri May 08, 2009 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby Kohinoor » Fri May 08, 2009 10:05 am

Cornell

User avatar
Cleareyes
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby Cleareyes » Fri May 08, 2009 10:07 am

Peter0061 wrote:At what point is it a mistake? I'm not T10,and in all likelihood not T25 either (I'm looking at you UMN.)

Is a 38 school worth 100k+ in debt over a 60th ranked school?

Or am I better off selling drugs?


It really depends on your situation, your goals, and the schools in question. There's a forum where people will give opinions.

User avatar
LawandOrder
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby LawandOrder » Fri May 08, 2009 10:08 am

Peter0061 wrote:At what point is it a mistake? I'm not T10,and in all likelihood not T25 either (I'm looking at you UMN.)

Is a 38 school worth 100k+ in debt over a 60th ranked school?

Or am I better off selling drugs?


Drugs. Seriously. How do you plan to pay off $100,000 in loan when you won't able to land BigLaw from 38? ITE (which may be showing signs of beginning to turn around, or at least slowing down the slide), when Georgetown kids are struggling, why would schools be dipping down to T38U?

solidsnake
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby solidsnake » Fri May 08, 2009 10:09 am

What's with the sticker/full-ride dichotomy in this thread?

Make it interesting and pick the lowest ranked school you would attend on something like a half tuition scholarship. Or better yet, do it in 25% increments. That would probably be more insightful than simply saying 'no sticker below T14.' Don't you think?

User avatar
penni_rose
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby penni_rose » Fri May 08, 2009 10:16 am

I would only attend UT. Want to live/work in Austin when I'm done. My husband has a job here. Not too expensive. I suppose if I'd had the LSAT for HYS, things would be different...

I turned down a full-ride a Baylor. Not worth it to me.

User avatar
calizner
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:22 am

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby calizner » Fri May 08, 2009 10:59 am

GW with 100k ... which I'm doing.

User avatar
JuryDueT1000
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:02 am

Lxw wrote:
JuryDueT1000 wrote:I would attend any school that gets me a license to practice law. Two reasons:

1. I'm independently wealthy so I'm not worried about tuition
2. I'm opening my own practice so I don't need to worry about impressing some deutschebag who cares more about my degree name than my inate ability to drum up business and clients

Let's not be racist against Germans, now.


lol, I was too lazy to google the right spelling.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby rayiner » Fri May 08, 2009 11:09 am

LawandOrder wrote:
Peter0061 wrote:At what point is it a mistake? I'm not T10,and in all likelihood not T25 either (I'm looking at you UMN.)

Is a 38 school worth 100k+ in debt over a 60th ranked school?

Or am I better off selling drugs?


Drugs. Seriously. How do you plan to pay off $100,000 in loan when you won't able to land BigLaw from 38? ITE (which may be showing signs of beginning to turn around, or at least slowing down the slide), when Georgetown kids are struggling, why would schools be dipping down to T38U?


People pay off $100k loans all the time without biglaw salaries. That's roughly $1,100 a month in loan payments for 10 years. There is no #38 this year, but let's use Wisconsin (#35) as an example. Say you graduate from Wisconsin at the median and get out making $55k. Your take-home is roughly $3,200 per month your first year. After loan payments you've got $2,100 a month left over. You can live reasonably on that in Wisconsin. Tight, but not terrible in your late 20s. After that, your salary will increase, and by your mid-30s (with 30 years of career still ahead of you) you'll be debt-free.

User avatar
LawandOrder
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby LawandOrder » Fri May 08, 2009 11:12 am

rayiner wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:
Peter0061 wrote:At what point is it a mistake? I'm not T10,and in all likelihood not T25 either (I'm looking at you UMN.)

Is a 38 school worth 100k+ in debt over a 60th ranked school?

Or am I better off selling drugs?


Drugs. Seriously. How do you plan to pay off $100,000 in loan when you won't able to land BigLaw from 38? ITE (which may be showing signs of beginning to turn around, or at least slowing down the slide), when Georgetown kids are struggling, why would schools be dipping down to T38U?


People pay off $100k loans all the time without biglaw salaries. That's roughly $1,100 a month in loan payments for 10 years. There is no #38 this year, but let's use Wisconsin (#35) as an example. Say you graduate from Wisconsin at the median and get out making $55k. Your take-home is roughly $3,200 per month your first year. After loan payments you've got $2,100 a month left over. You can live reasonably on that in Wisconsin. Tight, but not terrible in your late 20s. After that, your salary will increase, and by your mid-30s (with 30 years of career still ahead of you) you'll be debt-free.


I don't consider it acceptable to be unable to raise your standard of living after spending $100k + three years of your life in law school.

jdn012
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby jdn012 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:14 am

probably something in the UT/UCLA/USC for full price.

User avatar
TheNerdProject
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby TheNerdProject » Fri May 08, 2009 11:15 am

T14, UCLA, USC, Fordham, Emory, Florida, Miami (in that order).

Rationale: T14 are national schools; UCLA and USC would get me jobs in LA, a solid legal market; Fordham in NYC; and Florida and Miami in South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward and Dade Counties). There are other strong regional programs out there but not ones that would necessarily make me a strong candidate for employment in LA, NYC or Miami, three places I wouldn't mind living at in the LR.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 08, 2009 3:35 pm

solidsnake wrote:What's with the sticker/full-ride dichotomy in this thread?

Make it interesting and pick the lowest ranked school you would attend on something like a half tuition scholarship. Or better yet, do it in 25% increments. That would probably be more insightful than simply saying 'no sticker below T14.' Don't you think?
No, every opinion must be expressed briefly and superficially with a sturdy reliance on unstated conventional wisdom, otherwise it's not worth having.

User avatar
crabbycakes
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:47 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby crabbycakes » Fri May 08, 2009 3:38 pm

Fordham

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby sbalive » Fri May 08, 2009 3:39 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
rayiner wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:
Peter0061 wrote:At what point is it a mistake? I'm not T10,and in all likelihood not T25 either (I'm looking at you UMN.)

Is a 38 school worth 100k+ in debt over a 60th ranked school?

Or am I better off selling drugs?


Drugs. Seriously. How do you plan to pay off $100,000 in loan when you won't able to land BigLaw from 38? ITE (which may be showing signs of beginning to turn around, or at least slowing down the slide), when Georgetown kids are struggling, why would schools be dipping down to T38U?


People pay off $100k loans all the time without biglaw salaries. That's roughly $1,100 a month in loan payments for 10 years. There is no #38 this year, but let's use Wisconsin (#35) as an example. Say you graduate from Wisconsin at the median and get out making $55k. Your take-home is roughly $3,200 per month your first year. After loan payments you've got $2,100 a month left over. You can live reasonably on that in Wisconsin. Tight, but not terrible in your late 20s. After that, your salary will increase, and by your mid-30s (with 30 years of career still ahead of you) you'll be debt-free.


I don't consider it acceptable to be unable to raise your standard of living after spending $100k + three years of your life in law school.


The point is what you'll be making when you're 35, 45, 55, 65... Just because your standard of living might be the same taking into account loan payments, law school is an investment.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby rayiner » Fri May 08, 2009 3:53 pm

LawandOrder wrote:I don't consider it acceptable to be unable to raise your standard of living after spending $100k + three years of your life in law school.


I mean, in the long run, it depends on your alternatives. If you've got a BA and are looking at $35k topping out at $70-80k, $100k at a T50 will still raise your standard of living.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby General Tso » Fri May 08, 2009 3:57 pm

rayiner wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:I don't consider it acceptable to be unable to raise your standard of living after spending $100k + three years of your life in law school.


I mean, in the long run, it depends on your alternatives. If you've got a BA and are looking at $35k topping out at $70-80k, $100k at a T50 will still raise your standard of living.


+1

User avatar
Detail
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:39 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby Detail » Fri May 08, 2009 3:59 pm

rayiner wrote:People pay off $100k loans all the time without biglaw salaries. That's roughly $1,100 a month in loan payments for 10 years. There is no #38 this year, but let's use Wisconsin (#35) as an example. Say you graduate from Wisconsin at the median and get out making $55k. Your take-home is roughly $3,200 per month your first year. After loan payments you've got $2,100 a month left over. You can live reasonably on that in Wisconsin. Tight, but not terrible in your late 20s. After that, your salary will increase, and by your mid-30s (with 30 years of career still ahead of you) you'll be debt-free.

lol sounds horrible

User avatar
heyyitskatie
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby heyyitskatie » Fri May 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Before being accepted anywhere and discovering TLS: BU at sticker

After getting some acceptances under my belt, getting a few scholarship offers, and after discovering TLS: UCLA or Texas w/ half ride

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby Aeroplane » Fri May 08, 2009 4:09 pm

rayiner wrote:I mean, in the long run, it depends on your alternatives. If you've got a BA and are looking at $35k topping out at $70-80k, $100k at a T50 will still raise your standard of living.


Why would a BA mean you top out at $70-80K?

Oh, and congrats on GULC! It was inevitable you would get some WL love with that LSAT.

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby gatorlion » Fri May 08, 2009 4:12 pm

Aiming for Academia + 3.1 undergrad GPA = Effort comes better late than never?

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Postby DerrickRose » Fri May 08, 2009 4:16 pm

rayiner wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:If you've got a BA and are looking at $35k


An aside: If you've got a BA and are looking at $35k you are either walking through a time machine to 2005 or taking a tour of the US mint.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1styearlateral, andpeggy, Google Adsense [Bot], jjcorvino and 4 guests