Tell me all you know about Willamette Law School.........

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
A'nold

Tell me all you know about Willamette Law School.........

Postby A'nold » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:31 pm

I have been offered a lot of money from this school. I am "financially challenged" ( :) ) so that much scholarship money will go a long way. I honestly don't know what I want to do with my degree but my wife (as well as my father-in-law) would kill me if I went into biglaw, haha.

Just curious about this school and if anyone knows anything about it please post it here. Is it even well-respected in Oregon? What about a top-of-class student with an eye on Portland or Seattle? Thanks.

tvaddicted

Re: Tell me all you know about Willamette Law School.........

Postby tvaddicted » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:33 pm

I don't know much about the school, but I DO know that someone from my college graduated from there and is now working at a firm in Portland.

osubeaverz

Postby osubeaverz » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:06 pm

I'm an Oregon resident and my pre-law advisor suggested that I not even apply there. It might be because I was fairly certain that I would get into a T14 or that the school is really that bad. I happen to think that if you don't have big law aspirations that it would probably be fine. This is just my opinion because I don't have the evidence to back that up and I don't know anyone that has gone there.

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:22 pm

Aside from cutting the bottom 10% of the class after ever semester, (all the way into 3L) I'm sure it's a fine school.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:25 pm

We had a visiting prof from there. I thought he was decent but he wasn't particularly well liked.

In any case, he said that students there were STRESSED because even the good students couldn't get jobs.

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:29 pm

I've got a friend who's a 3L there, not sure where he falls in the grade spectrum, but he wouldn't have a job if he weren't going into his father's practice.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm

Thanks guys, this is the kind of stuff I want to hear. It's just that there are some good t3's out there, but I'm not sure if this is one of those because I literally hear nothing about them. I don't want them to be a TJ, Coastal, or Cooley type school in disguise. I am all for reducing debt and going regional in an area you want to practice but I will not give up some of the schools I've gotten into for a school where everyone but like 5 students can't find a job, lol.

Anyone with specific knowledge of this school or anyone that is going to be attending reading this? If so, post please! :)

wardboro

Postby wardboro » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:56 pm

Anecdotal, but I have a good friend there who went in on a full scholarship, but lost it all after the first semester. He thought the stacked all the scholarship students into the same section. If he had known this going in, he would have chosen to pay (in-state) sticker at our local T2. He'll end up paying quite a bit more in the end for much worse job ops.

osubeaverz

Postby osubeaverz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:04 am

One thing that Williamette may have going for it is that it's located in Salem which is Oregon's capitol. Maybe it's grads have an advantage in getting government jobs? Even if they don't Salem is kind of a neat town IMO.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:05 am

wardboro wrote:Anecdotal, but I have a good friend there who went in on a full scholarship, but lost it all after the first semester. He thought the stacked all the scholarship students into the same section. If he had known this going in, he would have chosen to pay (in-state) sticker at our local T2. He'll end up paying quite a bit more in the end for much worse job ops.

Hmmm.....thanks. I wonder how hard said student worked because with a full-ride his numbers must have been pretty good and the median LSAT there is like a 154 and the GPA like a 3.2. I know people say not to count on anything but hitting top half at a school with these MEDIAN numbers should have been cake for your friend. I know I will get grief for this but all personal evidence (law school evidence through many, many avenues) have pretty much lined up with this train of thought. Now, if you are a scholly student at like GW I can see why counting on the top 1/3 or something like that is risky because there are so many capable/intelligent students there and the subjectivity can be massive. But at a school like Willamette someone with a 153 LSAT and a 3.1 GPA (on average) probably has some major RC, Logic, and writing problems IMO that an overqualified student could easily trump on test day. Disclaimer: if they put in the effort to learn the black letter laws as well as practiced taking tests.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:08 am

osubeaverz wrote:One thing that Williamette may have going for it is that it's located in Salem which is Oregon's capitol. Maybe it's grads have an advantage in getting government jobs? Even if they don't Salem is kind of a neat town IMO.

2 things I'm really considering, actually. I like Salem and Oregon in general and it is really close to my family which is important to me. My other super safety was Idaho. Anyone advocate Idaho over Willamette? Both will cost roughly the same.

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:08 am

osubeaverz wrote:One thing that Williamette may have going for it is that it's located in Salem which is Oregon's capitol. Maybe it's grads have an advantage in getting government jobs? Even if they don't Salem is kind of a neat town IMO.

Dude, you like Salem?

osubeaverz

Postby osubeaverz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:11 am

69sofine wrote:

Dude, you like Salem?

Yeah. I think that it might have the historic kind of feel that UVA grads enjoy in Charlotte.

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:13 am

A'nold wrote:

2 things I'm really considering, actually. I like Salem and Oregon in general and it is really close to my family which is important to me. My other super safety was Idaho. Anyone advocate Idaho over Willamette? Both will cost roughly the same.

Ooh, I'll weigh in a little on this. My friend's dad is a Judge on the Oregon Court of Appeals and he was talking good things about Idaho when I spoke to him last week (His daughter's boyfriend is looking at going there). He said there are plenty of Idaho grads practicing in Oregon/Washington. I think Boise is a MUCH better town than Salem too.

osubeaverz

Postby osubeaverz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:14 am

A'nold wrote:

I would totally choose Idaho over Williamette because the school dominates the Idaho job market (although not that big) so you would at least have decent job prospects, and although I don't know if you can gain residency for in-state tuition, I'm sure that Idaho would be reasonably priced.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:14 am

BTW- just as an FYI, I am only considering this school because of the scholly and the fact that I am about 80 or so % sure that I want to work for the gov. I have been accepted to some pretty decent schools (a relative statement, obviously) and I will probably attend one of them, but a boatload of money really could sway me due to personal reasons.

djh

Postby djh » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:16 am

From what I've heard you should be careful about this school. You will be competing in a regional market against both UO and Lewis & Clark grads, not to mention other better out of state schools, for the jobs in Oregon, which will be the only ones available to you. If you want to live in Oregon I would suggest one of the other two. Willamette is the oldest school there, and not much more. But I'm sure that you will graduate fairly highly in the class considering a big scholly so I'm sure you'll be able to find A job, just perhaps not the one you want.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:18 am

osubeaverz wrote:
A'nold wrote:

I would totally choose Idaho over Williamette because the school dominates the Idaho job market (although not that big) so you would at least have decent job prospects, and although I don't know if you can gain residency for in-state tuition, I'm sure that Idaho would be reasonably priced.

You can gain in-state residency for 2L year AND they gave me a first year out-of-state scholly to make up for the out-of-state cost.

See, it is hard for me to be considering these schools and I wouldn't be if it weren't for the cost/closeness to family factors......ugh, this cycle will be the death of me.

FWIW- I have also heard better things about Idaho than Willamette but I feel that they should have given me more money.....they said they might still so I am going to send them an extension request on their deadline.

gus

Postby gus » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:20 am

osubeaverz wrote:
69sofine wrote:

Dude, you like Salem?

Yeah. I think that it might have the historic kind of feel that UVA grads enjoy in Charlotte.

Last edited by gus on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:20 am

djh wrote:From what I've heard you should be careful about this school. You will be competing in a regional market against both UO and Lewis & Clark grads, not to mention other better out of state schools, for the jobs in Oregon, which will be the only ones available to you. If you want to live in Oregon I would suggest one of the other two. Willamette is the oldest school there, and not much more. But I'm sure that you will graduate fairly highly in the class considering a big scholly so I'm sure you'll be able to find A job, just perhaps not the one you want.

Speaking my language, friend. :)

I was 80-90% sure I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger on such an iffy school and this is helping me with that. Like I said, cost is important and biglaw is not, but I don't want to be fighting an uphill battle for my entire freakin' career. Thanks everyone.

muddywaters

Postby muddywaters » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:30 am

it's in OR.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:33 am

muddywaters wrote:it's in OR.

What's "OR"? Is that like "Ur", the first Mesopotamian city of record?

kimber1028

Postby kimber1028 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:42 am

A'nold.... I'm not a big fan of Willamette, being from Oregon, but am able to offer a bit of information about it. As jobs go, I do know that government can be a good gig for those graduating from there, especially because of the school's proximity to the capitol. I've met someone with a great corporate IP job here in Portland who graduated from there, BUT he was on law review and in the top 5% of his class. FWIW, I also know a practicing attorney in a prominent Portland biglaw firm who has told me several of her partners are from there. However, it doesn't seem to me that there are as many associates coming out of Willamette these days, so it may have been a generational difference in that respect.

IMO, the 10% attrition each semester is killer, and according to those I've spoken with, the school is extremely competitive. The majority of individuals who have gotten good jobs seem to have been within the top 5-10%, which is definitely never guaranteed, though you may have an edge compared to other students there. Though, if the scholarship students are truly stacked, top 5-10% may be more difficult to achieve than originally thought.

My true opinion, being an Oregonian? Willamette can treat its grads well, if they buckle down and ace their classes. If not, though, any student is going to have a tremendously difficult time breaking out in Portland. If Salem or government is the ultimate goal, however, Willamette *may* be worth looking into.

aryncita

Postby aryncita » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:43 am

Last edited by aryncita on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tehpokerstar

Postby Tehpokerstar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:52 am

I have some experience with Willamette. I think my background will be helpful. I think you will find the faculty and facilities amazing. They are truly very considerate and helpful. Nonetheless, Salem is not the greatest town. I think you will end up making very little roughly about 40k a year. Sure, the col is much lower in Oregon, you are competing with a lot of people from UO Lewis and Clark, SU and UW for jobs! Not to mention anyone else from the t14. Oregon is becoming a very attractive location for starting businesses and its increased popularity by the lush green environment. I would be very careful attending here. From what I know, its very competitive because there aren't as many jobs. Nonetheless, if you are content to work in salem... then more power to you! I would be scared of the bottom 10% fail out rate per term! The tuition seems rather high at 28k, I know op got a scholarship but I think you might have better luck in a bigger city for repaying those loans. Government work will be a great fit for you in Salem. The state capitol is across the street and the court is a few blocks further. You will find Salem a great distraction free city to really focus and study. The library is open 24/7 so if you can find a way to shower on the streets, you can sleep inside the school ;). Also if you don't make some certain cut offs they mandate which classes you will be taking like administrative law etc. The concentrations require you to be in the top of your class, so be careful if you think you can go into the Government specialization without trying.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”