Is UC Irvine a good school for non-biglaw jobs? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ALCA1920

New

Is UC Irvine a good school for non-biglaw jobs?

Post by ALCA1920 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:01 pm

UCI would be the cheapest option in SoCal for me, but my reservation is that it's a new school, and I don't know how likely it is that I'll find a legal job afterward (non-biglaw).

Does anyone have insights on UCI's placement?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Is UC Irvine a good school for non-biglaw jobs?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:28 pm

"Non-biglaw" is a huge category, both in terms of attainability and desirability (including compensation), so you'll have to be more specific in order to make an intelligent decision here.

A little over 10% of the Class of 2018, and a little over 8% of the Class of 2019, did not find employment (of any kind) within 9 months of graduation, and that's a high enough proportion to cause concern if you're taking on significant student loans. But those aren't "diploma mill" numbers either. It's a fine school at the right price (what would yours be?) and for the right goals (what are yours?).

zer0sum

New

Re: Is UC Irvine a good school for non-biglaw jobs?

Post by zer0sum » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:48 pm

Irvine places well for both biglaw and public interest. You likely have to be above median for biglaw, but I guess you are not considering it. Decent placement for government jobs as well, mostly in the local level. It used to place well for federal clerkships too, but it seems like there is a decline following Chemerinsky’s departure.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”