What do you think Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Justin3020

New

What do you think

Post by Justin3020 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:43 pm

Hey everyone! So as deadlines approach I'm trying to figure out where to go without having visited many of my options. I've been able to narrow it down to 5. I have pretty modest goals of being financially stable, and wouldn't mind ending up in any size firm (though i'd prefer a medium sized one). I'm pretty open to different types of law aside from personal injury. I'd like to end up in a major city, but all else considered i'm really flexible.

Here's my current options: UCLA with 95k.
GW with 125k.
Emory with 143k.
Fordham with 155k.
Boston College with 170k.

These scholarships are all final offers. I'm ok with living in any of these cities (for boston college, i'd like to end up in Boston rather than newton..hopefully that will be possible).

Let me know what you think. I'd be paying out of state tuition for ucla, and whatever isn't covered in scholarships i'll be using the grad plus loans.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: What do you think

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:51 pm

Justin3020 wrote:Hey everyone! So as deadlines approach I'm trying to figure out where to go without having visited many of my options. I've been able to narrow it down to 5. I have pretty modest goals of being financially stable, and wouldn't mind ending up in any size firm (though i'd prefer a medium sized one). I'm pretty open to different types of law aside from personal injury. I'd like to end up in a major city, but all else considered i'm really flexible.

GW with 125k.
Emory with 143k.
Fordham with 155k.

These scholarships are all final offers. I'm ok with living in any of these cities (for boston college, i'd like to end up in Boston rather than newton..hopefully that will be possible).

Let me know what you think. I'd be paying out of state tuition for ucla, and whatever isn't covered in scholarships i'll be using the grad plus loans.
Based on the scholarship numbers, probably BC, but there are other things to consider. What are the total COA for the schools? What are your numbers and do you really have no preference in location?

Justin3020

New

Post by Justin3020 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:09 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Justin3020 wrote:Hey everyone! So as deadlines approach I'm trying to figure out where to go without having visited many of my options. I've been able to narrow it down to 5. I have pretty modest goals of being financially stable, and wouldn't mind ending up in any size firm (though i'd prefer a medium sized one). I'm pretty open to different types of law aside from personal injury. I'd like to end up in a major city, but all else considered i'm really flexible.

GW with 125k.
Emory with 143k.
Fordham with 155k.

Based on the scholarship numbers, probably BC, but there are other things to consider. What are the total COA for the schools? What are your numbers and do you really have no preference in location?
Numbers are 16mid 3.7ish.
These are rough calculations, but heres the COA that i've come up with for each (with the scholarship subtraction).

UCLA: ~160k
GW: ~156k
Fordham: ~118k
Emory: ~108k
BC: ~70k

I unfortunately didn't get a chance to visit GW, Fordham, or BC before everything shut down, so it's hard to have a preference for the areas and i'm stuck trying to go off of what i've read online about these cities. I have family on the east coast and don't mind the winters. I've lived in Chicago before and loved it, so something similar to that would be great. I'd prefer a large, lively, young city but outside of that--i'm just looking for something different from my current area (Houston).

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:32 pm

Your CoA math might be failing to account for tuition increases and interest on loans. LST (link below) suggests you're looking at more like $90-100k total at BC. If you are genuinely okay with spending the rest of your life in the Boston area and your definition of "financially stable" includes making about $60-65k/year (or about $30-$35k after tax and loan payments), then it's a decent choice. Hard to justify paying more for any of the other schools.

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/bc/costs/

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:51 pm

Justin3020 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

GW with 125k.
Emory with 143k.
Fordham with 155k.

Numbers are 16mid 3.7ish.
These are rough calculations, but heres the COA that i've come up with for each (with the scholarship subtraction).

UCLA: ~160k
GW: ~156k
Fordham: ~118k
Emory: ~108k
BC: ~70k

I unfortunately didn't get a chance to visit GW, Fordham, or BC before everything shut down, so it's hard to have a preference for the areas and i'm stuck trying to go off of what i've read online about these cities. I have family on the east coast and don't mind the winters. I've lived in Chicago before and loved it, so something similar to that would be great. I'd prefer a large, lively, young city but outside of that--i'm just looking for something different from my current area (Houston).
If you have room to get your LSAT up, it might be worth it to sit out this year and retake in September. If you can get into upper 160s, you can get into a t14. All these are regional schools so you're likely to start your career in the city it is in. Also, these are all good schools but their employment numbers might dip if the recession is a long one. If you really want to go this year and are ok with Boston and don't need big law, then go with BC.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:01 pm

BC makes a lot of sense here with your goals. $170k is essentially full-tuition, and BC is a good regional school. I'm very meh on retake and reapply in this situation. OP doesn't seem to have biglaw goals and is fine practicing whatever law, wherever, making however much. Full-tuition at BC seems like a good outcome for OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”