St. John's v. Villanova

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
miss.nomer

St. John's v. Villanova

Postby miss.nomer » Tue May 09, 2017 4:17 pm

I received a full ride from both SJU Law and Villanova Law and I'm having trouble committing to a school. I'm from NYC and have spent my entire life here, but I am willing to make the move to Philly if I have to. My issue with Villanova is that I'm afraid it will condemn me to working in PA for the rest of my law career...something I am not willing to do. Both SJU and Villa are very regional schools and their alumni connections are accordingly NYC and PA heavy. Ultimately, I want to live and practice in NYC. I'm having reservations about committing to Villa because I'm afraid a Villa Law degree will have less worth in the NYC market.

My question is: If I go to Villanova, will I have the opportunity to tap into the NYC legal market? Will it be harder to return to NYC once I go to an out-of-state regional school?

FYI, I don't intend to go on the BigLaw route and will more than likely specialize in IP Law because I have a background in CS. The goal is to work as legal counsel for startups and tech companies.

Rigo

Re: St. John's v. Villanova

Postby Rigo » Tue May 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Don't go to Villanova if you want NYC. That being said, St. John's is horrible with their section stacking. Half of students lose their scholarships. Beware.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue May 09, 2017 4:38 pm

Neither for NYC.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue May 09, 2017 10:16 pm

Putting aside the fact that St. John's might be a bad idea even with a full ride and even if biglaw is not the goal, why are you even considering choosing Villanova instead when you want to work in NYC?

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Wed May 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Neither. Still getting stuck practicing in PA will destroy your life less than potentially losing your scholly at SJU, so I'd vote Villanova if you must.

LafayetteJeff

Postby LafayetteJeff » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:14 pm

OP, given that you got a full ride at SJU and want to practice at NYC, I wonder if you applied to NYU, Fordham, Rutgers, or even Seton and if they are options. If you scores are good enough for a full ride at these places, I am guessing you have an avenue for an even stronger degree that you can get by paying a little bit but avoiding the risk of the bottom falling out (i.e. due to section stacking).

UBETutoring

Postby UBETutoring » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Section stacking hurts you even if you don't lost your scholarship.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”