St. Johns ($) vs Brooklyn ($$) vs Waitlists Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ferrisjso

Gold

Re: St. Johns ($) vs Brooklyn ($$) vs Waitlists

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:15 pm

Rigo wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote: FYI Rutgers Newark Law doesn't exist anymore it's just Rutgers.
I mean it's still functionally Rutgers-Newark assuming she will attend classes at that campus.
True true didn't know that.

vcap180

Bronze

Post by vcap180 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:16 pm

Rigo wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Keekee1231 wrote:So basically the answer is go to Brooklyn over St. John's but beware of stipulations (even though 80% seems very reasonable). What if I threw Rutgers in the mix with an in state tuition? Still Brooklyn?
80% sounds reasonable until you're thrown in a section with everyone else who got scholarships (i.e. everyone is smarter insomuch as LSAT/GPA correlate to law school ability) and 20% are fucked and the competition causes you to get poorer grades than you would have in an evenly-balanced section.

And no do not throw Rutgers into the mix unless you want NJ law.

Please answer your debt question.
Just looked up BLS 509, 1/6 of most recent disclosure lost their conditional scholarship. I retract BLS at 80% being the marginally better offer. They're both terrible.
Fuck. Yeah that's 100% section stacking.
OP you gotta avoid these schools. Damn. What tricky shits.
Lol how is that legal?!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:20 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote: FYI Rutgers Newark Law doesn't exist anymore it's just Rutgers.
I mean it's still functionally Rutgers-Newark assuming she will attend classes at that campus.
True true didn't know that.
Yeah think of it just as a two campus school. They combined some admin staff and set up some virtual classrooms, but each campus has their own head deans and profs.
So if OP is from New Brunswick north she'll probably physically attend the Newark law school.

Both the Camden and Newark buildings are pretty nice and new so I don't see either closing anytime soon. Who knows what their long term plan is though.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:28 pm

Keekee1231 wrote:Not dead set meaning being ok with working in small firm/public sector. Ultimate goals meaning it would be the most preferential.
Public sector jobs can be just as competitive and you shouldn't assume you will obtain one automatically.

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Post by Foghornleghorn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:43 pm

Keekee1231 wrote:I I am attending regardless.
Then you came here for validation, not advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:57 pm

Foghornleghorn wrote:
If OP is going with no debt and will accept any law job or possibly not practicing, I don't think it's fair to say OP just wants validation.

The issue is that none of these schools are compelling or even good choices. Each of them fail in a different way. It's difficult to recommend any of them.

I personally think OP can do better but I don't know the situation.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:55 am

Npret wrote:
Foghornleghorn wrote:
If OP is going with no debt and will accept any law job or possibly not practicing, I don't think it's fair to say OP just wants validation.

The issue is that none of these schools are compelling or even good choices. Each of them fail in a different way. It's difficult to recommend any of them.

It's totally fair to say the OP wants validation. The OP's articulated goals were "federal clerkship and biglaw". His "plan B" is to work at a small firm. But then he immediately stated that if he wasn't performing at the top of his class, he'd consider dropping out and taking over the family business.

So really, it sounds like the OP doesn't actually want to practice law at all unless there's a big paycheck involved. He may not end up in any debt from these schools, but he'll waste his/his parents' money and three years of his life on a useless degree.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:22 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Npret wrote:
Foghornleghorn wrote:

It's totally fair to say the OP wants validation. The OP's articulated goals were "federal clerkship and biglaw". His "plan B" is to work at a small firm. But then he immediately stated that if he wasn't performing at the top of his class, he'd consider dropping out and taking over the family business.

So really, it sounds like the OP doesn't actually want to practice law at all unless there's a big paycheck involved. He may not end up in any debt from these schools, but he'll waste his/his parents' money and three years of his life on a useless degree.
Dropping out because you don't succeed is prudent. That doesn't mean OP can't try. More 1Ls should drop out.

Almost everyone on this forum is after law for a big paycheck. Checkout the 0L biglaw budgets that are so presumptuous of biglaw. How many of them should drop out if they don't get biglaw? That's not exactly an indictment of OPs motivation.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:03 am

Npret wrote:Dropping out because you don't succeed is prudent. That doesn't mean OP can't try. More 1Ls should drop out.

Almost everyone on this forum is after law for a big paycheck. Checkout the 0L biglaw budgets that are so presumptuous of biglaw. How many of them should drop out if they don't get biglaw? That's not exactly an indictment of OPs motivation.
I didn't say it's not a prudent move at a certain point. But going to a school with that plan already in mind (and bear in mind that "not succeeding" here is not getting in the top 10-15% of the class) is a little suspect.

But yes, I agree that the OP is in the same camp as all the 0Ls chasing biglaw from any second or third-tier school that has no realistic chance of placing them in biglaw. It's a bad bet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Keekee1231 wrote:That answer was key. Literally all I was looking for. (The elitism on these threads is more than I expected) I am going to visit Brooklyn soon to make a final deposit decision. Unless I get off the waitlist at W&L or William and Mary, I think BL is where I am going to attend. I also never said I was deadset on BigLaw or Fed Clerking, they're just my ultimate goals. Thanks again.
if you broaden your goals and are okay doing other things (compliance work in banks, JD advantage work, smaller firm work, govt etc) then id do broooklyn .

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”