Villanova (half $) vs. NYLS (full $) vs. BLS Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Villanova
43%
NYLS
43%
Brooklyn
14%

Total votes: 7

montecma

New

Villanova (half $) vs. NYLS (full $) vs. BLS

Post by montecma » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:36 pm

Half tuition from Villanova with "good academic standing" stip
Full tuition, full tuition for study abroad in UK, research assistant position for 1L summer, at NYLS, with "good acadmic standing" stip
Nada from BLS

My goal is ultimately to work in NYC, but am willing to work in Philly if I go to Nova. I'm from NJ so I have connections in both Philly and NYC. I might be able to live at home if I go to NYLS, at least for 2L and 3L.

I have no debt from undergrad, but trying to stay away from large loans. I'm not 100% on exactly what type of law. I'm considering intellectual property, tech law, digital privacy, corporate law, or media law. I'd be happy at a law firm or in-house.

cavalier1138

Re: Villanova (half $) vs. NYLS (full $) vs. BLS

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:38 pm

If your goal is a large law firm or in-house at a major company in those fields, none of the above.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:45 am

cavalier1138 wrote:If your goal is a large law firm or in-house at a major company in those fields, none of the above.
this should be obvious, OP

the cost of living in NYC means your full ride at NYLS is still gonna come with a 90k COA

brooklyn and villanova are more reasonable schools, but only with full rides

don't take any of these options

warwickmain

New

Post by warwickmain » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:12 pm

montecma wrote:Half tuition from Villanova with "good academic standing" stip
Full tuition, full tuition for study abroad in UK, research assistant position for 1L summer, at NYLS, with "good acadmic standing" stip
Nada from BLS

My goal is ultimately to work in NYC, but am willing to work in Philly if I go to Nova. I'm from NJ so I have connections in both Philly and NYC. I might be able to live at home if I go to NYLS, at least for 2L and 3L.

I have no debt from undergrad, but trying to stay away from large loans. I'm not 100% on exactly what type of law. I'm considering intellectual property, tech law, digital privacy, corporate law, or media law. I'd be happy at a law firm or in-house.
Have you tried negotiating scholarships yet? Half tuition from Villanova and nothing from BLS seems a little off on BLS's part, although I'd have to know your stats to say for sure. While your NYLS financial offer might be the best, I'd take a close look at their employment stats before giving them any serious consideration. Seems as though from their 2015 class, only 1/3 of their graduates ended up in law firms, with the vast majority of those in small law firms w/ 2-10 attorneys. They have some graduates going into business & industry, but I'm not sure how many of those are in-house legal positions (if any).

That being said, given your current options/goals I would have to agree with the posts above. If you're not willing to sit out this cycle (you really should think about that), have you tried other schools in the area (Cardozo, Rutgers, St. John's)?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Here's my take on NYLS and BLS.

If you want to work in BigLaw, don't go to either. Period.

If you want to work in a mid/small-size law firm, BLS is the right choice. HOWEVER, definitely not at sticker price since the starting salaries for non-biglaw firms are like $60l-$70k. BLS alumni seem to have some presence in smaller firms/district attorney's offices/public defenders.

If you really want to work in NYC, NYLS most likely will only get you jobs where nobody will ask where you went to law school...aka solo law firms/immigration law/criminal defense law. NYLS has a non-existent reputation in NYC and is definitely seen as inferior to literally any other law school in the city (CUNY is ranked lower but it has a decent rep for Public Interest work). You should think about NYLS only if you're okay with being a solo practioner, but even then, I would advise against it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:50 pm

depends a lot on your risk tolerance and goals. all of these choices are going to involve significant networking and connection making to get a great outcome job including govt work.

if you have no other options right now and are making absolute dog shit money doing something you really really hate, id probably do villanova and aim for the philly market because cheaper COL as a student.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:03 pm

Villanova is a bad choice for philly(or any) biglaw. The suburb where nova is located is fairly expensive and boring. Tuition is like 45k at nova. Philly legal market is fairly small and insular. You've been warned.

montecma

New

Post by montecma » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:27 pm

warwickmain wrote:
montecma wrote:Half tuition from Villanova with "good academic standing" stip
Nada from BLS

Have you tried negotiating scholarships yet? Half tuition from Villanova and nothing from BLS seems a little off on BLS's part, although I'd have to know your stats to say for sure. While your NYLS financial offer might be the best, I'd take a close look at their employment stats before giving them any serious consideration. Seems as though from their 2015 class, only 1/3 of their graduates ended up in law firms, with the vast majority of those in small law firms w/ 2-10 attorneys. They have some graduates going into business & industry, but I'm not sure how many of those are in-house legal positions (if any).

That being said, given your current options/goals I would have to agree with the posts above. If you're not willing to sit out this cycle (you really should think about that), have you tried other schools in the area (Cardozo, Rutgers, St. John's)?
I'm waiting to hear back from BLS, but it's been weeks and no response. Every follow up email I send has a response of in the next 1-2 weeks I should hear back. Villanova said no to more scholarship, but if I get money from BLS then maybe I can appeal again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”