QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rigo

Diamond

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Post by Rigo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:18 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
w00kash wrote:Just here to say that wanting to move to CT without a car is a bad idea. Also, wanting to move to CT is a bad idea. But especially without a car. And especially Hartford County and the surrounding area.
Would it to be possible to PM me the specifics of this, I really want to know why you feel this way? I'm considering getting a license if I'm in Connecticut(it'd be easier to drive there than NYC that's for sure). Still curious why you feel this way specifically about Hartford county, which I was under the impression was slightly more walker friendly.
Hartford is a decently dangerous city with a lot of crime, so maybe he's referring to that aspect.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Rigo wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
w00kash wrote:Just here to say that wanting to move to CT without a car is a bad idea. Also, wanting to move to CT is a bad idea. But especially without a car. And especially Hartford County and the surrounding area.
Would it to be possible to PM me the specifics of this, I really want to know why you feel this way? I'm considering getting a license if I'm in Connecticut(it'd be easier to drive there than NYC that's for sure). Still curious why you feel this way specifically about Hartford county, which I was under the impression was slightly more walker friendly.
Hartford is a decently dangerous city with a lot of crime, so maybe he's referring to that aspect.
Well the reason I'm considering UCONN is because I want CT in general, not Hartford necessarily the school just happens to be there(opposite of Cardozo where I like the area the school is in, can go golfing after school every day,but really don't want to practice in NY). I know Hartford, New Haven(I've lived nearby all throughout UG) and Bridgeport all have very high crime, but the rest of the state tends to be really different from my vantage point.
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:24 pm

i took out more to go to a similar school. go to cardozo and bust your ass/network and youll be fine in NYC. seriously, its all on those 3 years. anything can be accomplished if you grind for 3 years. good luck.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:27 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:i took out more to go to a similar school. go to cardozo and bust your ass/network and youll be fine in NYC. seriously, its all on those 3 years. anything can be accomplished if you grind for 3 years. good luck.
Thank you I appreciate it!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Well the reason I'm considering UCONN is because I want CT in general, not Hartford necessarily the school just happens to be there(opposite of Cardozo where I like the area the school is in, but really don't want to practice in NY). I know Hartford, New Haven(I've lived nearby all throughout UG) and Bridgeport all have very high crime, but the rest of the state tends to be really different from my vantage point.
Yeah no shit the rest of the state is different, but that doesn't matter. You're talking about living and walking around Hartford, and without a car the affluent suburban Connecticut isn't really accessible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:33 pm

Also just FYI Widener is legit attached to a shopping mall in super suburban Delaware so I'm skeptical of the walkability there.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Rigo wrote:Also just FYI Widener is legit attached to a shopping mall in super suburban Delaware so I'm skeptical of the walkability there.
Thank you! That is very helpful. It's a shame that people are punished almost for not driving but hey a challenge is a challenge. If they give me a full ride, I guess I'll go to ASD/W and pay extra close attention to the schools proximity to living options and whether or not walking/scootering is a viable option.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:34 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:A JD doesn't help in politics. Working in politics helps in politics. You're doing a correlation/causation thing.

It isn't actually unreasonable to expect someone going to law school to know where they want to end up. In fact, a really good way to figure out what kind of law you want to practice *before* you go to law school, is to take time off and work and figure out what actually interests you/where your strengths lie!
Quoting for emphasis.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:03 am

You reeeeeeally should take a couple years to work and gain life experience before committing to law school. It'll help,your application, let you save up money, and give you perspective. It seems like you don't really know what you want to do and are just jumping into law school.

Seriously, I took about 4 years off after college and it's the best decision I've ever made.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:21 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:A JD doesn't help in politics. Working in politics helps in politics. You're doing a correlation/causation thing.

It isn't actually unreasonable to expect someone going to law school to know where they want to end up. In fact, a really good way to figure out what kind of law you want to practice *before* you go to law school, is to take time off and work and figure out what actually interests you/where your strengths lie!
Quoting for emphasis.
Known a couple people who got law degrees and ended up in politics. Also know someone who's been in politics 10 years without a law degree. It's not a formal requirement but seems to be an unwritten rule that a JD will fast track you at a minimum and certain high ranking positions are exclusively for those with JDs.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:23 am

Not to say it's likely you make it in politics because It's rare. But you can't say that a JD doesn't matter in the industry that writes the law where we'll over 50% of high ranking people have a JD.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:08 am

There are also a bunch of doctors who are politicians. It's not the fact that these people have JDs, it's what they do, AND they have a JD. Sure, some people make some use of the degree, but they don't end up in politics because they have the degree.

Also where does your "well over 50%" number come from?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:03 am

JohannDeMann wrote:Not to say it's likely you make it in politics because It's rare. But you can't say that a JD doesn't matter in the industry that writes the law where we'll over 50% of high ranking people have a JD.
But what about an industry where over 35% of the people wear their underwear on their head at night before conducting pagan rituals? Making up statistics is fun!

Also, as always, people keep ignoring that current politicians in their 40s-80s might have a large population of JDs. Younger politicians don't have the same trend, because thanks to degrees like the MPP and the general American disdain for education, we're drifting away from that.

This is generally irrelevant though, since @Ferrisjso knew full well that this was a stupid reason to go to law school and has deliberately avoided mentioning it on any prior threads precisely because they knew what advice they would get. Confirmation bias is a helluva drug.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:18 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:Not to say it's likely you make it in politics because It's rare. But you can't say that a JD doesn't matter in the industry that writes the law where we'll over 50% of high ranking people have a JD.
But what about an industry where over 35% of the people wear their underwear on their head at night before conducting pagan rituals? Making up statistics is fun!

Also, as always, people keep ignoring that current politicians in their 40s-80s might have a large population of JDs. Younger politicians don't have the same trend, because thanks to degrees like the MPP and the general American disdain for education, we're drifting away from that.

This is generally irrelevant though, since @Ferrisjso knew full well that this was a stupid reason to go to law school and has deliberately avoided mentioning it on any prior threads precisely because they knew what advice they would get. Confirmation bias is a helluva drug.
No cavalier, I already knew from past threads what people thought on the topic and didn't want to get in a pointless argument. From my time working in politics, I can tell you this, JD's have a huge advantage in terms of getting paid work, and in terms of holding office, Johann is correct an overwhelming majority of public servants in congress and most if not all state legislatures have the JD. There is no official requirement and by that merit you're right but the person with the JD who goes to work in politics will get paid right off the bat when for other people finding paid work is rather difficult when what most politicians really want are either "unpaid interns" or "volunteers". Anyway the reason I didn't mention it is because I didn't want to talk about it. Can we drop it? As of this moment this thread has served it's purpose, as of right now the right decision seems to be to go to Cardozo( although I have not made the decision and am still holding out hope that UCONN gives me some more $). I will update the thread if either Cardozo and/or UCONN gives me more money.

I have some other questions. Also according to Richmond I'm on their "priority waitlist" which apparently means my acceptance is very likely they just had to many qualified applicants. If anyone has any experience with this, is there a difference between the priority waitlist and the regular one in regards to receiving scholly money or would I be paying sticker? Also is there a chance W+L gives me money if I get in off the waitlist(I know it's probably no, but I'm asking just in case)

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Ferrisjso wrote: I have some other questions. Also according to Richmond I'm on their "priority waitlist" which apparently means my acceptance is very likely they just had to many qualified applicants. If anyone has any experience with this, is there a difference between the priority waitlist and the regular one in regards to receiving scholly money or would I be paying sticker? Also is there a chance W+L gives me money if I get in off the waitlist(I know it's probably no, but I'm asking just in case)
I mean there's a chance, but your numbers aren't scholly type numbers unfortunately. The most likely people to get money off a waitlist with money are YP people, not borderline applicants

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Rigo wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote: I have some other questions. Also according to Richmond I'm on their "priority waitlist" which apparently means my acceptance is very likely they just had to many qualified applicants. If anyone has any experience with this, is there a difference between the priority waitlist and the regular one in regards to receiving scholly money or would I be paying sticker? Also is there a chance W+L gives me money if I get in off the waitlist(I know it's probably no, but I'm asking just in case)
I mean there's a chance, but your numbers aren't scholly type numbers unfortunately. The most likely people to get money off a waitlist with money are YP people, not borderline applicants
Are you talking W+L,Richmond or both? I don't think I'm anymore borderline at Richmond than I was at UCONN or Dozo. Does being soft URM help with the waitlist? Sorry for asking so many questions, I just have so many variables I'm considering in my decision.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Are you talking W+L,Richmond or both? I don't think I'm anymore borderline at Richmond than I was at UCONN or Dozo. Does being soft URM help with the waitlist? Sorry for asking so many questions, I just have so many variables I'm considering in my decision.
I'm was talking both, but Im not familiar with those schools specifically. To me, a waitlist is a waitlist no matter what word they put in front of it.
IME waitlists are more numbers driven than the normal cycle. Schools pull from the waitlist specific things they need. If more low GPA applicants deposited than they were expecting, they would likely pull high GPA people from the waitlist. Same with LSAT.
I'm not sure about URM. Maybe, but from my understanding softs are more of a factor before the waitlist. Once again, it's hard to be definitive because every school is different.

Richmond and W&L have very small class sizes so they have to more tightly control who they accept in order to get the class profile they want, whereas Cardozo can be less meticulous with its large class. That could explain the holding pattern & waitlists.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Rigo wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Rigo wrote:
I'm was talking both, but Im not familiar with those schools specifically. To me, a waitlist is a waitlist no matter what word they put in front of it.
IME waitlists are more numbers driven than the normal cycle. Schools pull from the waitlist specific things they need. If more low GPA applicants deposited than they were expecting, they would likely pull high GPA people from the waitlist. Same with LSAT.
I'm not sure about URM. Maybe, but from my understanding softs are more of a factor before the waitlist. Once again, it's hard to be definitive because every school is different.

Richmond and W&L have very small class sizes so they have to more tightly control who they accept in order to get the class profile they want, whereas Cardozo can be less meticulous with its large class. That could explain the holding pattern & waitlists.
Makes sense to me.

half moon

New

Post by half moon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:59 pm

A page or so back you said your ideal market was Nashville. Have you tried University of Tennessee? I know you said Vanderbilt wasn't an option, but a lot of Vandy grads leave and I bet UT places decently well in-state.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:00 pm

half moon wrote:A page or so back you said your ideal market was Nashville. Have you tried University of Tennessee? I know you said Vanderbilt wasn't an option, but a lot of Vandy grads leave and I bet UT places decently well in-state.
I think it's to late for that, I was considering it once, for some reason or another I decided not to apply. If I recall the 509's showed they didn't give out enough money. I was also going to apply to Kentucky at one point, but decided not to for similar reasons. Also I fell in love with Nashville not necessarily the whole state and from reading threads on the topic, I came to the conclusion Nashville is a tough market to crack.

half moon

New

Post by half moon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
half moon wrote:A page or so back you said your ideal market was Nashville. Have you tried University of Tennessee? I know you said Vanderbilt wasn't an option, but a lot of Vandy grads leave and I bet UT places decently well in-state.
I think it's to late for that, I was considering it once, for some reason or another I decided not to apply. If I recall the 509's showed they didn't give out enough money. I was also going to apply to Kentucky at one point, but decided not to for similar reasons.
I'd also look at their residency requirements. LST lists resident tuition for UT under $20k. If there's any way you could be a Tennessee resident 2nd and 3rd year that could be a pretty big discount even without a big scholarship.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:12 pm

half moon wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
I think it's to late for that, I was considering it once, for some reason or another I decided not to apply. If I recall the 509's showed they didn't give out enough money. I was also going to apply to Kentucky at one point, but decided not to for similar reasons.
I'd also look at their residency requirements. LST lists resident tuition for UT under $20k. If there's any way you could be a Tennessee resident 2nd and 3rd year that could be a pretty big discount even without a big scholarship.
That's pretty similar to the dilemma I find myself in with UCONN, small scholly and if I get residency second year it's a not horrible 140k(I'm rounding up) and if I don't don't it can be almost 200k. Says here thier 75th percentile grant amount is 16k and 50th is 10k but then again there out of state is 20k chepaer than UCONN's is. My numbers are below both 50th percentile's though! Hmmmm can't see it being cheaper than Dozo but it will probably be cheaper than UCONN.

half moon

New

Post by half moon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Just noticed your hope to not need a car too. If that's an important consideration, Knoxville and Nashville may not be the places for you. I suppose they have Uber and Lyft, but public transit is very limited in both cities.

If you're fully intent on going this year and choosing from the options in your original post, I'll just add to what everyone else seems to be saying and go Cardozo.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:27 pm

half moon wrote:Just noticed your hope to not need a car too. If that's an important consideration, Knoxville and Nashville may not be the places for you. I suppose they have Uber and Lyft, but public transit is very limited in both cities.

If you're fully intent on going this year and choosing from the options in your original post, I'll just add to what everyone else seems to be saying and go Cardozo.
I'm thinking I'm going to make an attempt to learn to drive over the summer. It might work out, it might not, but I'm going to try.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Here's an update. Just got into Widener with a 28k scholly a year(no stips), which means about 15k a year(I'm rounding up like I always do to account for tuition increases). It also seems like I'm being offered free housing, they've given me a "Campus Housing Scholarship Offer", which doesn't give a specfic amount(it says "the admissions commitee has awarded you a single occupancy residence hall scholarship for the 2017-2018 academic year". Not sure if this is renewable though, even if it is full.

Also went to Dozo's ASD and have come to the conclusion the school(was expecting to get blown away by the facilities, and I just wasn't) and more importantly the market isn't for me. While the people were great, I would have had to commute to and eventually work in Manhattan and I've come to the conclusion that the cheaper price isn't worth being stuck somewhere I don't like, forever. I know everyone's advice was to take Cardozo but I'd be miserable practicing in Manhattan.

So here are the choices that are still on the table for me

UCONN-Front runner right now. If they increase their award to 20k, I'm in.

QU-If I get National Fellow's(where the stip is top 75%, and I get a small stipend) it's worth looking at it's a cheaper way for me to break into the CT legal market(and regardless of what people on here say about it, locally it does have a good reputation, not sure if that's the whole state though or just the south).

W+L-If I get off the wl I must just go "FI" and start begging affluent relatives for money(or at least interest free loan). W+L seems great for clerkships, and ending up in some obscure nice little VA town is something that seems wonderful to me.

Widener-my new cheapest option. Don't know anything about Delaware but hey maybe I can learn to love it! Probably won't go but certainly want to see people's thoughts on this new option.

Richmond-I'm on the "priority waitlist". If that means I get scholly money that brings the COA lower than UCONN and I like the school/area maybe I'll go. Have heard great things about the Richmond area and the school is also pretty good for clerkship's from my vantage point.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”