UChicago (Rubenstein) v. UVA (Dillard) v. NYU (Vanderbilt)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UChicago or UVA?

Chicago
63%
UVA
10%
NYU
24%
Other
4%

Total votes: 51

dabigchina

Silver

Re: UChicago (Rubenstein) v. UVA (Dillard)

Postby dabigchina » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:29 pm

mccracal wrote:Thanks for the responses!

Believe it or not, I actually understand that law school is a professional endeavor, which is why I'm talking about choosing between two different top 10 law schools, and not UChicago and some third-tier "fun" school. Based on employment data, the only clear advantage that UChicago seemed to even have was its Biglaw placement, which, as I mentioned, isn't all that significant to me. Considering that both schools have virtually identical clerkship numbers (and that UVA has much higher rates of employment in public interest/government-related jobs), I'm not sure why some of y'all found it so baffling that overall quality of life would be a relevant factor in my decision process.

Also, I did apply to Stanford, but I haven't heard back yet. Even if I get in, I don't anticipate getting any need-based aid, so it'd be hard to justify going there.

Anyway, I edited my original post to include this info, but I found out like an hour ago that I was also awarded full-tuition at NYU— they definitely have a lot more visible opportunities for public interest/international work, and NYU seems to be in a really cool part of NYC, but they don't seem to place as well in the Southeast/California, their clerkship numbers aren't as high, and I'm concerned NYC might be overwhelming for someone who isn't used to big cities. Any input?

If you aren't sure you like big cities, NYC is probably not the best place to test whether you do.

Also, doesnt the Rubenstein come with a decent sized stipend? Therefore shouldn't Chicago still be cheaper? Also Chicago is still better suited for what you want assuming clerkship is important to you.

Regardless, you seem to have some kind of mental block w.r.t. UChicago. If you absolutely can't stand being with those nerds in Chicago for 3 years, then go ahead and take NYU.

ETA: NYC is expensive, especially when you have to live around NYU.

bearsfan23

Gold

Re: UChicago (Rubenstein) v. UVA (Dillard) v. NYU (Vanderbilt)

Postby bearsfan23 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:23 am

LOL at thinking UChicago has a "conservative" culture.

Using stereotypes is a dumb way to go about selecting a law school

Pulsar

Bronze

Postby Pulsar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:30 am

Charlottesville is pretty (if you like hiking and vinyards it's especially endearing) and quite liberal, but it's also small. To the extent that you want to be around a larger gay community, that's points for Chicago/NYU (especially NYU).

I'm not sure how UVA/NYU do in terms of west coast placement, but I wouldn't worry about getting there, or back southeast, from Chicago. People go to Cali all the time. Only 1/3 of the class usually stays in Chitown, so the normal distribution is quite all-over-the-literal map, which I think is different from other schools (which are often home base or NYC centric). Chicago also will place in higher-prestige firms (and probably clerkships; recent UVA aberrations aside) than UVA will. And I'd guess the same holds true over NYU too if we're talking anywhere but NYC. So more points for Chicago imho.

Don't think you can go wrong with any option obviously.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Well, I certainly feel inadequate.

Congrats on being awesome OP

Necho2

Bronze

Postby Necho2 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:35 pm

One thing to consider on the clerkship front is that I think something like 2/3 to 3/4 of Rubenstein scholars end up clerking, and from what I've heard from 2Ls and 3Ls, that's a bit more than just Ruby=good student=clerking. Since the school as a whole has an incentive to have Rubenstein scholars succeed and do cool stuff so that David R keeps funding them, I've heard a lot of anecdotal talk about influential professors being particularly willing to go to bat for the (plus you get a faculty mentor who if you hit it off with well is probably a great start on the clerkship LOR train!) I have no idea whether Vanderbilt/Dillard would mean the exact same advantages at NYU or UVA though...

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:45 pm

I changed my mind. OP, just tour and pick based on preference. It doesn't really matter.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?