full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bunney_j

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 am

full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby bunney_j » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:35 pm

I've been searching for this exact kind of question but haven't found extensive threads/answers.

I've been accepted to Cornell - sticker, Vanderbilt - 15k a year, Wash U - 120,000, GWU - 75k, & Arizona State, Indiana, & Brooklyn Law with full tuition. I want to eventually practice in New York and have connections out here, but I am strongly considering wash U and Indiana. know Cornell probably has better placement especially in NYC, but not sure if it's worth that much more than a degree from Wash U? I also still have most of t14 to hear back from (didn't apply to Duke/Berkeley or Harvard) and Emory. Stats: 3.8+ and 165, URM, decent softs.

I do eventually want Big Law...
Last edited by bunney_j on Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5083
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:22 pm

I don't know why you're considering Indiana if you want biglaw. You also made some weird choices about where to not apply in the T14, so I'm not sure what your strategy was.

You're still waiting on a few schools, and you're still waiting on scholarship info from those schools. I wouldn't count on getting much, but if you can at least get some kind of scholarship at a T14, that's your best bet for biglaw. That said, you know what to do if you want to significantly increase your scholarship offers...

User avatar
yyyuppp

Bronze
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby yyyuppp » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:29 pm

wait for all of your scholarship offers and then negotiate. you don't have to make this choice yet, which is good.

User avatar
yyyuppp

Bronze
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby yyyuppp » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:29 pm

double post

bunney_j

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 am

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby bunney_j » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:33 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I don't know why you're considering Indiana if you want biglaw. You also made some weird choices about where to not apply in the T14, so I'm not sure what your strategy was.

You're still waiting on a few schools, and you're still waiting on scholarship info from those schools. I wouldn't count on getting much, but if you can at least get some kind of scholarship at a T14, that's your best bet for biglaw. That said, you know what to do if you want to significantly increase your scholarship offers...


I've used up three retakes. 164, 163, 165- hence no retake.

I didn't apply to Berkeley or Stanford because I don't want to live in California as my SO is between DC/NY. I didn't apply to Duke because I spoke to them at a LSAC fair and realized the environment and school weren't for me. I applied to 16 schools with many fee waivers, but am financially constrained. Hope that clears that up though not sure why that was relevant really.

I am pretty debt averse at least without great, great job outcomes. Indiana offered me full tuition + a stipend + put me in touch with some alum working in NYC now which is why they're a contender.

Thanks for the input especially re:Indiana. I thought they had decent employment stats/outreach/alum networking maybe I overestimated
Last edited by bunney_j on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby floatie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:34 pm

It'd be great if you could get a decent scholarship to a t-14, but if that doesn't work I'd see if you can leverage your t-14 acceptances and WashU scholarship to bump up Vandy (which is probably your best non t-14 bet for biglaw). Also keep in mind that getting out of Indiana/the midwest is more an exception than the norm, although IU with that kind of offer isn't a bad deal. Its just unlikely to get you your biglaw goal.
Last edited by floatie on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bunney_j

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 am

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby bunney_j » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:35 pm

yyyuppp wrote:wait for all of your scholarship offers and then negotiate. you don't have to make this choice yet, which is good.


Thanks! Cornell sent me a loan package with no help, so I figured it might be set in stone. I don't qualify for need aid as I'm 23 and my parents make a good amount of money but aren't helping so not sure how to get around that. My SO would help, but I guess its more a question of what you/others in similar situation have chosen/how that worked out

bunney_j

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 am

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby bunney_j » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:37 pm

floatie wrote:It'd be great if you could get a decent scholarship to a t-14, but if that doesn't work I'd see if you can leverage your t-14 acceptances and WashU scholarship to bump up Vandy (which is probably your best non t-14 bet for biglaw). Also keep in mind that getting out of Indiana/the midwest is more an exception than the norm, although IU with that kind of offer isn't a bad deal. Its just unlikely to get you your biglaw goal.


Thanks!! That's what I figured. Though WashU is lower do you think Vandy would care? I also have pending scholarship offers from BU/BC/Fordham. I was thinking negoitating with GWU as well.

I know it's premature but after seeing Cornell's package of 250,000 in loans I started getting anxious.

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby floatie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:41 pm

bunney_j wrote:
floatie wrote:It'd be great if you could get a decent scholarship to a t-14, but if that doesn't work I'd see if you can leverage your t-14 acceptances and WashU scholarship to bump up Vandy (which is probably your best non t-14 bet for biglaw). Also keep in mind that getting out of Indiana/the midwest is more an exception than the norm, although IU with that kind of offer isn't a bad deal. Its just unlikely to get you your biglaw goal.


Thanks!! That's what I figured. Though WashU is lower do you think Vandy would care? I also have pending scholarship offers from BU/BC/Fordham. I was thinking negoitating with GWU as well.

I know it's premature but after seeing Cornell's package of 250,000 in loans I started getting anxious.


I think its a strong enough scholarship to get them to bump it up quite a bit, along with all of your full rides and your t-14 acceptances. You'll never know unless you ask!

bunney_j

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 am

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby bunney_j » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:45 pm

floatie wrote:
bunney_j wrote:
floatie wrote:It'd be great if you could get a decent scholarship to a t-14, but if that doesn't work I'd see if you can leverage your t-14 acceptances and WashU scholarship to bump up Vandy (which is probably your best non t-14 bet for biglaw). Also keep in mind that getting out of Indiana/the midwest is more an exception than the norm, although IU with that kind of offer isn't a bad deal. Its just unlikely to get you your biglaw goal.


Thanks!! That's what I figured. Though WashU is lower do you think Vandy would care? I also have pending scholarship offers from BU/BC/Fordham. I was thinking negoitating with GWU as well.

I know it's premature but after seeing Cornell's package of 250,000 in loans I started getting anxious.


I think its a strong enough scholarship to get them to bump it up quite a bit, along with all of your full rides and your t-14 acceptances. You'll never know unless you ask!


I'll definitely ask then thanks!!

Redfactor

Bronze
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby Redfactor » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:07 pm

What type of URM are you?

Your numbers as a URM should be yielding more scholarship $$$, no?

uion1715

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:58 am

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby uion1715 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:43 pm

If those are the only options, isn't it better to try to reapply early next year possible?

Looking at LSN and 3.8/165 URM should get you a pretty phenomenal result (Chicago/NYU).

Hell, 3.5/166 (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=263034), and 3.72/163 (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=271112) got them into NYU

favabeansoup

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby favabeansoup » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Someone is low balling you here.

I had a bigger financial aid package at Vandy without even getting into Northwestern.

Don't go to ASU, Indiana etc. It won't get you NYC biglaw.

I'd follow other advice and wait for all your info. Scholarships aren't set in stone and you can play schools off each other for more.

If nothing changes, my gut would say WashU/Vandy. Cornell and Northwestern would likely get you biglaw, but 260-300k+ debt is a literally shit load of debt to take on. Even with biglaw salary, NYC taxes/cost of living/and just general expected lifespan in biglaw (3-5 years) means it not worth it.

BobBoblaw

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:43 am

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby BobBoblaw » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:03 am

Are you AA, MA, or PR? because as others have said, relative to your numbers your URM boost seems pretty minimal.

Big Red

Gold
Posts: 3271
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby Big Red » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:11 am

To be honest your underperforming w/ the URM, but yeah I think of what I'm looking at WUSTL makes the most sense. Vandy at 15 when you have that on the table doesn't make sense, and I would certainly try to get more out of Cornell which seems like the best fit for you.

Those #'s should put NYU/Colombia in play and give you a better look at Cornell, did you apply like yesterday?

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:24 am

Don't have great/sage wisdom to offer, but how did you already get a scholarship notification from Vandy? I was under the impression they weren't dispersing any of that until mid-Feb at the earliest?

User avatar
cron1834

Gold
Posts: 2299
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby cron1834 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:28 am

If you're an approved URM (i.e. Native American, Mexican, Puerto Rican, or Black), then you definitely underperformed and you should reapply next fall after editing your application materials. If you're some other sort of ethnic minority, then WashU is probably the best of these options.

bunney_j

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 am

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby bunney_j » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:28 am

BobBoblaw wrote:Are you AA, MA, or PR? because as others have said, relative to your numbers your URM boost seems pretty minimal.


PR. I haven't been rejected to anywhere so far, so maybe things can turn around?

bunney_j

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 am

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby bunney_j » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:28 am

mrgstephe wrote:Don't have great/sage wisdom to offer, but how did you already get a scholarship notification from Vandy? I was under the impression they weren't dispersing any of that until mid-Feb at the earliest?


PM me - special circumstances.

bunney_j

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 am

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby bunney_j » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:30 am

Big Red wrote:To be honest your underperforming w/ the URM, but yeah I think of what I'm looking at WUSTL makes the most sense. Vandy at 15 when you have that on the table doesn't make sense, and I would certainly try to get more out of Cornell which seems like the best fit for you.

Those #'s should put NYU/Colombia in play and give you a better look at Cornell, did you apply like yesterday?


I applied late. Retook LSAT in December, sent in applications 1/06 I believe? Haven't heard back from NYU or Columbia yet!

bunney_j

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 am

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby bunney_j » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:31 am

uion1715 wrote:If those are the only options, isn't it better to try to reapply early next year possible?

Looking at LSN and 3.8/165 URM should get you a pretty phenomenal result (Chicago/NYU).

Hell, 3.5/166 (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=263034), and 3.72/163 (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=271112) got them into NYU


Thanks. I am not sure about the PR impact. I've heard our URM boost is slightly less than MA, AA, and NA. I haven't heard from NYU or many t14 schools yet, so maybe things might change. Hopefully.

bunney_j

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 am

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby bunney_j » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:32 am

bunney_j wrote:I've been searching for this exact kind of question but haven't found extensive threads/answers.

I've been accepted to Northwestern & Cornell - sticker, Vanderbilt - 15k a year, Wash U - 120,000, GWU - 75k, & Arizona State, Indiana, & Brooklyn Law with full tuition. I want to eventually practice in New York and have connections out here, but I am strongly considering wash U and Indiana. know Cornell probably has better placement especially in NYC, but not sure if it's worth that much more than a degree from Wash U? I also still have most of t14 to hear back from (didn't apply to Duke/Berkeley or Harvard) and Emory. Stats: 3.8+ and 165, URM, decent softs.

I do eventually want Big Law...


ETA: hispanic URM (PR) and applied late post december LSAT.

Npret

Gold
Posts: 1527
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby Npret » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:12 am

bunney_j wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I don't know why you're considering Indiana if you want biglaw. You also made some weird choices about where to not apply in the T14, so I'm not sure what your strategy was.

You're still waiting on a few schools, and you're still waiting on scholarship info from those schools. I wouldn't count on getting much, but if you can at least get some kind of scholarship at a T14, that's your best bet for biglaw. That said, you know what to do if you want to significantly increase your scholarship offers...


I've used up three retakes. 164, 163, 165- hence no retake.

I didn't apply to Berkeley or Stanford because I don't want to live in California as my SO is between DC/NY. I didn't apply to Duke because I spoke to them at a LSAC fair and realized the environment and school weren't for me. I applied to 16 schools with many fee waivers, but am financially constrained. Hope that clears that up though not sure why that was relevant really.

I am pretty debt averse at least without great, great job outcomes. Indiana offered me full tuition + a stipend + put me in touch with some alum working in NYC now which is why they're a contender.

Thanks for the input especially re:Indiana. I thought they had decent employment stats/outreach/alum networking maybe I overestimated


Which are you more: debt averse or chasing that theoretical biglaw money?

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby floatie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:45 am

bunney_j wrote:
Big Red wrote:To be honest your underperforming w/ the URM, but yeah I think of what I'm looking at WUSTL makes the most sense. Vandy at 15 when you have that on the table doesn't make sense, and I would certainly try to get more out of Cornell which seems like the best fit for you.

Those #'s should put NYU/Colombia in play and give you a better look at Cornell, did you apply like yesterday?


I applied late. Retook LSAT in December, sent in applications 1/06 I believe? Haven't heard back from NYU or Columbia yet!


1/06 isn't really that late...you definitely should be getting more. I think you'll have a chance to leverage later this cycle.

CanadianWolf

Diamond
Posts: 10722
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: full tuition vs t14- can't retake!!

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:18 am

WashUStL is a great offer. Additional small bonus is that Missouri is an UBE state so you can sit for 27 bar exams (including New York, DC & New Jersey) at once.

Indiana with full tuition & a living stipend should not be ignored.

Forget NU & Cornell at sticker price.

Any idea of which type/area of law you want to practice ? What was your undergraduate major ?



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 12 guests