PLEASE HELP: GW vs. Emory (Similar Scholarships) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jd173

New

PLEASE HELP: GW vs. Emory (Similar Scholarships)

Post by Jd173 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:06 pm

I could definitely use some help hashing this one out. It's really a choice between these two schools for me at this point. I want to come back to work in Los Angeles, CA after law school and weather isn't a particular concern. I'd like for a decent night life but then again I'm going to be focusing on law school so that plays a factor as well. I'm not looking for a clubbing scene type night life, but it'd be nice to have a few good local bars and restaurants to go to after a long day's work. Housing is also relatively important as I'd like a nice place to be able to work and live.

Looking to do employment law or intellectual property, and I'd like to practice in LA. I attended UCLA for undergrad and my networking in Los Angeles has been what I would call above average as I already have a few solid job offers for the summer after my 1L as long as I maintain good academic standing. These employers know I am likely attending either GW or Emory.

GPA was 3.84
LSAT was 162.

Scholarships: Emory w/ 63k in scholarship or GW with 48k in scholarship. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Emory COA
Living expenses $17,972*
Tuition and Fees $53,300
Transportation $2,000
Personal $3,100
Books and Supplies $1,700
Total ~$74,000

GW COA
Books and Supplies $1,646
Personal $3,100
Room and Board $19,810
Transportation $2,100
Tuition and Fees $56,244
Total ~$82,900
Last edited by Jd173 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: PLEASE HELP: GW vs. Emory (Similar Scholarships)

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:12 pm

Neither of these schools will get you back to California, period.

But I'm more concerned that you didn't mention anything about what sort of work you want to do while still managing to mention the "night life" in the area. Law school is professional training. That doesn't mean you can't have a social life, but the club scene shouldn't even be entering in to the equation.

So what do you want to do with your JD? Where do you want to do it? And what was your LSAT/GPA?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:26 am

So 150-200k and you don't want to practice in either market? Did you get into usc? More importantly, can you retake?

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:40 am

Are you Patent Bar eligible? But also this is a classic retake situation. You have a great GPA from a great school and already scored moderately well on the LSAT.

didgeridoo92

New

Post by didgeridoo92 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:49 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Neither of these schools will get you back to California, period.

But I'm more concerned that you didn't mention anything about what sort of work you want to do while still managing to mention the "night life" in the area. Law school is professional training. That doesn't mean you can't have a social life, but the club scene shouldn't even be entering in to the equation.

So what do you want to do with your JD? Where do you want to do it? And what was your LSAT/GPA?
He explicitly stated he was looking for a place with some quality restaurants/bars nearby, NOT looking for a club scene. Might want to double check your source before chastising him on that one

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:06 am

didgeridoo92 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Neither of these schools will get you back to California, period.

He explicitly stated he was looking for a place with some quality restaurants/bars nearby, NOT looking for a club scene. Might want to double check your source before chastising him on that one
Did you happen to see that line at the bottom of the OP about the post being edited?

And I still can't imagine anything less relevant to choosing a law school.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:18 am

Debt at repayment:

GW: $248K

Emory: $196K

Not worth it.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:16 pm

Why are you not retaking for UCLA & USC?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”