ND ($) vs Loyola Chicago ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

ND or Loyola Chicago

Poll ended at Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:47 pm

Notre Dame
45%
Loyola Chicago
55%

Total votes: 11

JD2B2016

New

ND ($) vs Loyola Chicago ($$$)

Post by JD2B2016 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:47 pm

Quick stats: 3.58 (science)/161 (third time), Masters Degree in policy

I have been out of college since 2009 working in the energy industry. I've planned to attend law school for a long time primarily so that I can continue to work in energy policy...as most positions I have targeted in the future are either JD required or JD preferred.

Initially, my plan was to attend law school part-time and keep working. Which is one of my options with Loyola's new weekend program. They also offered me almost a full-ride and I would not need to take on much debt <$15,000 most likely. I would also be able to continue building my work experience while attending law school.

BUT, I am conflicted about turning down ND. I liked what I saw on ASW and felt like it would be an all-around better education. Not to mention that I think learning in a full-time environment would be a little easier than in a part-time program. That said, I would be looking at around $120,000 in loans in addition to sitting out of the workforce for 3 years. BUT, I feel like a NDLS degree could provide me with greater flexibility in the future.

My husband will be living and working in Chicago, but my family lives in South Bend...so the cost of living is the same in either place.

Would I be crazy to pay $120k for a NDLS degree? Should I take the Loyola money and run?

cavalier1138

Re: ND ($) vs Loyola Chicago ($$$)

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:06 pm

You say you want to work in "energy policy". What specific job tracks are you looking at, and how many graduates from either of these schools are in those jobs?

JD2B2016

New

Post by JD2B2016 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:15 pm

I am interested primarily in industry jobs - utilities, consulting firms, clean energy development. I am somewhat interested in public interest - NRDC, EDF, ELPC. From what I can tell, Loyola does better in those areas.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:07 am

JD2B2016 wrote:I am interested primarily in industry jobs - utilities, consulting firms, clean energy development. I am somewhat interested in public interest - NRDC, EDF, ELPC. From what I can tell, Loyola does better in those areas.
And you plan on working in Chicago?

Because if you know Loyola places well in this area, and you know that you want to stay local, then it sounds like your decision is made. Notre Dame doesn't place in Chicago, period.

WaitersIsland

Bronze

Post by WaitersIsland » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:34 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
JD2B2016 wrote:I am interested primarily in industry jobs - utilities, consulting firms, clean energy development. I am somewhat interested in public interest - NRDC, EDF, ELPC. From what I can tell, Loyola does better in those areas.
And you plan on working in Chicago?

Because if you know Loyola places well in this area, and you know that you want to stay local, then it sounds like your decision is made. Notre Dame doesn't place in Chicago, period.
That's not true at all.

Also, to the OP, I would be wary of taking out $120k in loans for Notre Dame. That is a lot of money for a school where graduating at median will probably get you a salary in the $50k - $70k range.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”