Choosing a law school Lewis and Clark U of O or U of W on waitlist Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pstatementhell

New

Choosing a law school Lewis and Clark U of O or U of W on waitlist

Post by pstatementhell » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:36 pm

I'd appreciate any input. I want to end up practicing in the PNW and am deciding between Lewis and Clark and University of Oregon. I'm also on U of W waitlist but have no idea if that will happen. I don't really want to live in Eugene and would prefer ending up in Portland. Money is about the same although U of W could potentially be a lot more. I'm not interested in environmental law but possibly interested in criminal or corporate law. Any advice?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Re: Choosing a law school Lewis and Clark U of O or U of W on waitlist

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:37 am

pstatementhell wrote:I'd appreciate any input. I want to end up practicing in the PNW and am deciding between Lewis and Clark and University of Oregon. I'm also on U of W waitlist but have no idea if that will happen. I don't really want to live in Eugene and would prefer ending up in Portland. Money is about the same although U of W could potentially be a lot more. I'm not interested in environmental law but possibly interested in criminal or corporate law. Any advice?
Can we get your LSAT/GPA stats, ties (are you from Oregon/Washington, did you go to high school or undergrad there, significant work experience in the area, have an SO from there, etc.), and current costs of attendance for your options? The hard numbers would really help us out here.

Absent this info, I'll give you what my broad approach would be here.

Lewis and Clark's numbers: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... lark/2014/

University of Oregon: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/oregon/2014/

Both schools have abysmal employment scores (Oregon worse than L&C). There's only a 50% chance you'll be gainfully employed upon graduation and only an 18% chance at L&C/13% chance at Oregon you'll be able to do anything public service-y ("criminal law" as you put it). You need to abandon all hope of "corporate law" as only 3% of grads from these schools get that.

Ultimately, both options are terrible and, assuming you are considering financing them with debt, will financially Kurt Cobain your ass. Which says to me you need to study like hell for the LSAT and retake. Get above a 165 (fairly certain you don't have that kind of score...high 150s maybe?...with these kinds of outcomes). Get a 165, hell shoot for 170. Get the score that's going to set you up for success and only go to law school if you get Berkeley with $ or UW with $$$. Good luck.

pacnw1234

New

Re: Choosing a law school Lewis and Clark U of O or U of W on waitlist

Post by pacnw1234 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:13 pm

pstatementhell wrote:I'd appreciate any input. I want to end up practicing in the PNW and am deciding between Lewis and Clark and University of Oregon. I'm also on U of W waitlist but have no idea if that will happen. I don't really want to live in Eugene and would prefer ending up in Portland. Money is about the same although U of W could potentially be a lot more. I'm not interested in environmental law but possibly interested in criminal or corporate law. Any advice?
I'll offer some more positive advice than the poster before me--which isn't to say that's he or she is wrong (in fact they sound soberly correct about waiting and retaking). If, however, you're dead-set on attending this year, my vote is Lewis & Clark. I'm in a similar position: UO and L&C offered me admission both with relatively significant $$$. UW has admitted me and I'm waiting on scholarship offers. Lewis & Clark has a better position in the Portland area than UO, and probably a relatively equal footing with UW. I also want to practice criminal law, and in that regard Lewis & Clark has a fair number of opportunities. They are largely focused on the rights of the accused/defense/Innocence Project type programs, but they are surrounded by the Washington and Oregon side of Portland and their respective prosecutors' offices. Oregon isn't a bad place to end up, but Eugene doesn't quite have anything around it that would warrant a choice based on surrounding opportunities.

Not sure if it matters to you, but Lewis & Clark has a phenomenally beautiful campus. If you haven't visited, I highly recommend it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”