x Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I choose

Poll ended at Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:55 pm

Michigan
85%
Notre Dame
8%
Illinois
4%
Emory
4%

Total votes: 26

anonymousmoose1619

New

x

Post by anonymousmoose1619 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:55 pm

x
Last edited by anonymousmoose1619 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: Help me make a decision

Post by totesTheGoat » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:12 pm

I don't think you're going to get any more money from ND... they're notoriously stingy. Maybe you'll be able to get some more $$ out of them if you try to use UM as an alternative.

If I were you, I'd talk with UM and try to get your COA number below 6 figures. Emory for free isn't bad if you like Atlanta. For Chicago, narrow it down to ND or UM. I don't think UIUC is worth $75k in debt given your other options. You're not going to have a ton of play in CA or DC with any of those schools, but it's certainly not out of the question for UM and ND.
[+] Spoiler
I know you don't want to retake, and I don't think that you need to retake, but you have the GPA to get significant $$ at a higher T14 if you retake. If that's not particularly important to you, staying with your current options is fine.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:13 pm

Michigan is the only choice here, but resolve yourself to using it to go to Chicago. Obviously the cheaper you can get it the better, but I don't think Michigan is an awful choice at this price.

GreatBraffsby

Bronze

Post by GreatBraffsby » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:17 pm

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but most people on this site are going to press you hard on 2 issues. The first is why settle for a 165 when even a 2-4 point increase would give you much better options? Taking an extra year sounds like a huge cost now, but when you're paying off loans you might have regrets. Also, if you're an URM with military experience then you could get some wonderful options with a 167+. Even though you said you didn't want to hear that, I bet that's going to be the most common response.

The second is that you will get pushed on having vague and unlikely goals for you numbers/options. Large firm + clerkship is really tough to do from a non t-14 and you will be making a risky investment to do so. Personally I think it's ok to go to law school open to a variety of fields, but just know that you're going against the odds for biglaw/government (although working for a Congressman will be much easier for a vet than a layperson). I'd recommend researching which of your target schools has the best loan repayment option for government work.

After that lengthy aside, my advice is go to Michigan. You want big things from your degree and, considering your lack of ties in the Midwest and D.C., that degree would give you the best chance. I think this is a case of "you get what you pay for". Notre Dame at a significant discount would be my choice if you do negotiate a substantial scholarship and are severely debt-averse.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:23 pm

GreatBraffsby wrote:I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but most people on this site are going to press you hard on 2 issues. The first is why settle for a 165 when even a 2-4 point increase would give you much better options? Taking an extra year sounds like a huge cost now, but when you're paying off loans you might have regrets. Also, if you're an URM with military experience then you could get some wonderful options with a 167+. Even though you said you didn't want to hear that, I bet that's going to be the most common response.

The second is that you will get pushed on having vague and unlikely goals for you numbers/options. Large firm + clerkship is really tough to do from a non t-14 and you will be making a risky investment to do so. Personally I think it's ok to go to law school open to a variety of fields, but just know that you're going against the odds for biglaw/government (although working for a Congressman will be much easier for a vet than a layperson). I'd recommend researching which of your target schools has the best loan repayment option for government work.

After that lengthy aside, my advice is go to Michigan. You want big things from your degree and, considering your lack of ties in the Midwest and D.C., that degree would give you the best chance. I think this is a case of "you get what you pay for". Notre Dame at a significant discount would be my choice if you do negotiate a substantial scholarship and are severely debt-averse.
Where did you get that OP is URM? What did I miss?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreatBraffsby

Bronze

Post by GreatBraffsby » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:25 pm

fliptrip wrote:
I said "if".

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:28 pm

GreatBraffsby wrote:
fliptrip wrote:
I said "if".
Okay. Anyway, I don't predict he'll get as much LSAT retake static as you might think. Going to Michigan with this much off with a willingness to go to Chicago isn't a catastrophically bad decision.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:43 pm

I'm generally not a huge fan of Michigan, but it's your best option here if you are absolutely unwilling to consider sitting out and retaking.

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:54 pm

Michigan is the only option here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:27 pm

Did OP actually say he could retake and pay less for the same or better schools with better placement but he doesn't want to? Ok then OP. I just hope you aren't kicking yourself when you are repaying debt you didn't need to borrow.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:09 pm

Retake and narrow down your goals. It would be foolish to go to law school with a) several LSAT points on the table and b) so many conflicting career ideas.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:17 pm

Michigan at that price is not bad. You should at least take the June LSAT and see if your score goes up

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”