Accepted - Northwestern ED. Mistake? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Was ED at Northwestern a mistake?

Yes - wait a year and retake the LSAT and try to get into HYS
7%
No - Go to Northwestern
93%

Total votes: 74

Mr. October

New

Accepted - Northwestern ED. Mistake?

Post by Mr. October » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:15 pm

I got accepted into Northwestern ED which I considered going into this process to be my "best case scenario". As happy as I am, I can't help but wonder if I should have gambled with getting into a better school. That said, having less debt is obviously huge. My LSAT was 169 and my GPA was 3.84, but I come from a small school with slightly above average "softs". I really want to go to law school now; the idea of studying for the LSAT again and burning my bridges at NU scares me. Thoughts?

James.K.Polk

Silver

Re: Accepted - Northwestern ED. Mistake?

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:16 pm

Mr. October wrote:I got accepted into Northwestern ED which I considered going into this process to be my "best case scenario". As happy as I am, I can't help but wonder if I should have gambled with getting into a better school. That said, having less debt is obviously huge. My LSAT was 169 and my GPA was 3.84, but I come from a small school with slightly above average "softs". I really want to go to law school now; the idea of studying for the LSAT again and burning my bridges at NU scares me. Thoughts?
Even if you got into HYS, which IMO is unlikely without a 3-4 point boost (and even then, who knows), I don't think you would see much $$$ at all.

I vote stay at NU.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:26 pm

Holy shit. Staying at NU is unequivocally the credited response.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:30 pm

150k scholarship at a top-law-school? Yea...seems like a bad outcome...Look, not to be a jerk (actually that is my intent), but you knew this was a possibility when you decided to apply ED. If you didn't want to commit, why apply ED? If you still don't want to commit, sit out this cycle. You're not even the first person this cycle to ask this question...which amazes me. But what do I care? I'm not the police.

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:47 pm

NU with 150k is nothing to scoff at. You made a good call.

Eta - that said if you want to sit out a cycle and retake you could open a lot of doors with several more points on the lsat

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:57 pm

lymenheimer wrote:150k scholarship at a top-law-school? Yea...seems like a bad outcome...Look, not to be a jerk (actually that is my intent), but you knew this was a possibility when you decided to apply ED. If you didn't want to commit, why apply ED? If you still don't want to commit, sit out this cycle. You're not even the first person this cycle to ask this question...which amazes me. But what do I care? I'm not the police.
Yeah, this question bothers me and I see it all the time. Like, what, do these people apply ED hoping NOT to get in? Ask BEFORE you choose to apply ED and accept the trade-offs that come with it, not AFTER you get your acceptance.

luckenmeister

New

Post by luckenmeister » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:04 pm

Mr. October wrote:I got accepted into Northwestern ED which I considered going into this process to be my "best case scenario". As happy as I am, I can't help but wonder if I should have gambled with getting into a better school. That said, having less debt is obviously huge. My LSAT was 169 and my GPA was 3.84, but I come from a small school with slightly above average "softs". I really want to go to law school now; the idea of studying for the LSAT again and burning my bridges at NU scares me. Thoughts?
Was going through the same thing. I feel much better about my decision after researching beyond the forums, and now have the appropriate prospective to realize how stupid of a question this is (No offense OP, I was there too). People can say what they want about the tiers within the T-14, but the differences are truly marginal. Quite simply, If you're the shit, then you're the shit. It's very unlikely that going to H instead of NU is going to change that and completely alter someones career trajectory. Even after thoroughly researching, looking for things to justify not attending NU, I find NU to be sorely underrated. Don't rely solely on the half wit 0L's or non-T-14 people on this board who are often the ones making the most prominent judgments regarding prospects, rankings, ect Talk to current students or students familiar with the school/t-14s to get a more accurate gauge. There are grads from NU going on to do amazing things, just like those at every T-14 school.

luckenmeister

New

Post by luckenmeister » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:08 pm

acr wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:150k scholarship at a top-law-school? Yea...seems like a bad outcome...Look, not to be a jerk (actually that is my intent), but you knew this was a possibility when you decided to apply ED. If you didn't want to commit, why apply ED? If you still don't want to commit, sit out this cycle. You're not even the first person this cycle to ask this question...which amazes me. But what do I care? I'm not the police.
Yeah, this question bothers me and I see it all the time. Like, what, do these people apply ED hoping NOT to get in? Ask BEFORE you choose to apply ED and accept the trade-offs that come with it, not AFTER you get your acceptance.
For me it was the "you need X school to get Y location" or "you need X school to even have a chance for Y position". Before reading these forums, I would have given up a pinky to go to NU, maybe even a ring finger.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:49 pm

luckenmeister wrote:
acr wrote:
For me it was the "you need X school to get Y location" or "you need X school to even have a chance for Y position". Before reading these forums, I would have given up a pinky to go to NU, maybe even a ring finger.
That's weird because everyone in this thread is making fun of OP for even asking the question. I suppose it's easy to start second guessing yourself after any big decision but I don't see how TLS could lead someone wrong here.

OP there are likely similar outcomes you could have had without applying ED, but there weren't better ones. You're in a good spot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JWalker

Bronze

Post by JWalker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:39 am

James.K.Polk wrote:
Even if you got into HYS, which IMO is unlikely without a 3-4 point boost (and even then, who knows), I don't think you would see much $$$ at all.

I vote stay at NU.
I think this is credited. $150k from NU is a much, much better deal than HYS at sticker unless you're filthy rich AND you're willing to drop that money for a negligible upgrade in prestige (IMO you probably shouldn't go to law school if you're that rich though).

Now, if you can get a 180 next time that'd be a different story...

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:17 pm

This is like the third $150k recipient from NU this cycle that comes across as if they have an actual cognitive deficiency. What is the deal.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:50 pm

cron1834 wrote:This is like the third $150k recipient from NU this cycle that comes across as if they have an actual cognitive deficiency. What is the deal.
Ouch! Cognitive deficiency? I'll be more charitable. You, OP, are suffering from the winner's curse/buyer's remorse and you've come to these hallowed forums seeking some confirmation of your decision to help you feel better.

Here's my take: If you have a typical career goal---big law or good PI work and you're perfectly fine with being in NY or Chicago, then NW with $150k off is a, um, f'in fantastic outcome. As a 3.84/169, your HYSCC chances are horrible and your coin's flip chance at NYU is not going to bring you nearly enough money unless you're an RTK or AnBryce type. Penn might happen, but you're not getting a ton of money there. UVA might happen, but you're just a tick off Dillard-type numbers for LSAT and GPA, and besides, UVA and NW have similar placement stats. As far as the BDM set, they have similar or worse placement stats to NW and you're not going to get a steep discount at those either. Cornell has better stats than NW (as long as you're willing to go to NYC) and would likely give you a similar discount, but that difference is not so dramatic as to justify discarding what's already in your pocket.

Ease your mind. You won the game. NW is a great school that will set you up well for your future both in terms of career outcome and especially limiting your debt load. Also, you will never feel bad about going to school in Downtown Chicago, except during the brief moments you spend outside during the winter.

NUDad

New

Post by NUDad » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:46 pm

fliptrip wrote:
Ouch! Cognitive deficiency? I'll be more charitable. You, OP, are suffering from the winner's curse/buyer's remorse and you've come to these hallowed forums seeking some confirmation of your decision to help you feel better.

Here's my take: If you have a typical career goal---big law or good PI work and you're perfectly fine with being in NY or Chicago, then NW with $150k off is a, um, f'in fantastic outcome. As a 3.84/169, your HYSCC chances are horrible and your coin's flip chance at NYU is not going to bring you nearly enough money unless you're an RTK or AnBryce type. Penn might happen, but you're not getting a ton of money there. UVA might happen, but you're just a tick off Dillard-type numbers for LSAT and GPA, and besides, UVA and NW have similar placement stats. As far as the BDM set, they have similar or worse placement stats to NW and you're not going to get a steep discount at those either. Cornell has better stats than NW (as long as you're willing to go to NYC) and would likely give you a similar discount, but that difference is not so dramatic as to justify discarding what's already in your pocket.

Ease your mind. You won the game. NW is a great school that will set you up well for your future both in terms of career outcome and especially limiting your debt load. Also, you will never feel bad about going to school in Downtown Chicago, except during the brief moments you spend outside during the winter.
What fliptrip said. Cornell is the only other option that could come close in terms of scholarship $$$, but who wouldn't choose Chicago over Ithaca?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:58 pm

fliptrip wrote:
cron1834 wrote:This is like the third $150k recipient from NU this cycle that comes across as if they have an actual cognitive deficiency. What is the deal.

This is right.

r1tlv50

New

Post by r1tlv50 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:43 pm

fliptrip wrote:
Ouch! Cognitive deficiency? I'll be more charitable. You, OP, are suffering from the winner's curse/buyer's remorse...
Totally agree. I think it's just the stress of LSAT/apps being over leads people to get neurotic about everything & anything else related to LS. the rest of your post is 180 too

OP if you really feel the need you could retake in June, don't believe the ED statement would DQ you from that. But honestly that's overkill unless you PT'd way higher AND want a super-selective job. Otherwise, take the $ and run

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:06 pm

Go to Northwestern. You will not regret it.

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:45 pm

I was also a Northwestern ED applicant. I'm here now, feel free to pm me. I think you should just go and not think twice about it. A couple years ago 169s weren't really getting the ED money.

If you retake and get into one of HYS they it arguably would still not be worth it due to $$$, even before the lost year. Maybe you could retake and score some good CCN money, but again that's only a maybe and you'd lose a year.

Maybe you should've retaken prior to applying ED, but now that you have it I think you should just take it. You've got the sure thing already. I wouldn't trade it for "possibilities" that cost a year of time and probably aren't much better.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. October

New

Post by Mr. October » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Thanks for all the feedback everyone - especially those of you who were cordial :wink:

I do think my reaction was all "buyer's remorse/winner's remorse", and I never really considered not going. I wanted to conduct a poll to see if you all agreed.

Now that this has all had time to set in, I am absolutely "stoked" to go to Northwestern. It's a great school, and the more I research the more I like Chicago as a city and Northwestern as a school in particular.

Thank you again for all your thoughts.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Mr. October wrote:Thanks for all the feedback everyone - especially those of you who were cordial :wink:

I do think my reaction was all "buyer's remorse/winner's remorse", and I never really considered not going. I wanted to conduct a poll to see if you all agreed.

Now that this has all had time to set in, I am absolutely "stoked" to go to Northwestern. It's a great school, and the more I research the more I like Chicago as a city and Northwestern as a school in particular.

Thank you again for all your thoughts.
LOL, you've diagnosed your condition, yet you're doubling down on your symptoms. Don't do a poll. Take the consensus advice and stop thinking about this element of your decision and start looking for a place in Lincoln Park or something.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”