Michigan vs. Reapply? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WHAT DO???

Michigan
46%
Wait another year
54%

Total votes: 50

Stillblade

New

Michigan vs. Reapply?

Post by Stillblade » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:04 am

Hey guys, so here goes:

I got into Michigan this year with $45K. I'm not unhappy at all with this but I want the best possible outcome for the investment. Total COA will be ~$90K due to savings and awesome parents.

My numbers for this cycle were 3.4X and 168. I retook for June and got a 171 (my third take). This isn't an awfully big jump but I'm thinking it could open a few doors (ie. Duke, UVA, Northwestern which I did get into this year but at sticker). I'll probably be able to scrape up another $10-15K or so in savings.

My main career goal is NYC biglaw. I don't really have tangible ties outside of the NY area. Michigan's latest employment numbers admittedly have me a little bit squeamish about biglaw chances.

Would it be stupid to reapply next year? I'm afraid Michigan would YP me on a repplication so I'd have to get into other schools and with decent scholarship money for it to be worth it.

Side note: I'm currently on wait lists at Cornell and UVA but assuming I get in it'll probably be at sticker, which definitely isn't worth it. I'm also going to contact Michigan to see if they could give me a little bit more $, which would solidify my decision completely, but knowing them I'm assuming it won't happen.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Michigan vs. Reapply?

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:09 am

Stillblade wrote:Hey guys, so here goes:

I got into Michigan this year with $45K. I'm not unhappy at all with this but I want the best possible outcome for the investment. Total COA will be ~$90K due to savings and awesome parents.

My numbers for this cycle were 3.4X and 168. I retook for June and got a 171 (my third take). This isn't an awfully big jump but I'm thinking it could open a few doors (ie. Duke, UVA, Northwestern which I did get into this year but at sticker). I'll probably be able to scrape up another $10-15K or so in savings.

My main career goal is NYC biglaw. I don't really have tangible ties outside of the NY area. Michigan's latest employment numbers admittedly have me a little bit squeamish about biglaw chances.

Would it be stupid to reapply next year? I'm afraid Michigan would YP me on a repplication so I'd have to get into other schools and with decent scholarship money for it to be worth it.

Side note: I'm currently on wait lists at Cornell and UVA but assuming I get in it'll probably be at sticker, which definitely isn't worth it. I'm also going to contact Michigan to see if they could give me a little bit more $, which would solidify my decision completely, but knowing them I'm assuming it won't happen.
Definitely reapply. Those three points will make a major difference. You're now at or above LSAT median for nearly every t14. I think you'll get way more money from NU, Duke and others and get into at least one CCN, which you can leverage for more money at the MDNCG schools. Good work

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:13 am

Reapply. No brainer
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:16 am

Assuming non-URM, those were my numbers as well. Northwestern and Duke, plus maybe sticker at CCN will be in play. UVA potentially also. Honestly, though, I am not sure your outcome will change much unless you prefer similar debt from Duke/Northwestern to Michigan. There is a chance NU will throw a larger amt of $$ at you, but Duke and Michigan both offer aid based almost exclusively on gpa/lsat scores, so I don't think your options will change much.

I am surprised Michigan offered you 45k with a 168---that was the offer before you did a retake?

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:20 am

Same numbers as you last cycle with more money. Reapply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:42 am

I faced a similar situation last cycle (M [$$$]) and decided to withdraw because I was deeply concerned by Michigan's placement power and geographic situation.

If you were to reapply next cycle, you could probably snag NYU ($) or Penn ($) -- what I managed to get this cycle.

But I doubt you'll get $105,000, $120,000, or $150,000 from the remaining T14 schools, which may be what you're hoping for.

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:25 pm

Call me crazy - but I'd reapply AND retake the LSAT if you can do that (not sure when you took the first test, but reapply with the 171 first off). With a 171 you're likely going to still be paying a lot for law school.

Try to keep the total debt, including interest (regardless of school) to below 150k, if not 100k. If you're looking at 200k+ debt, I wouldn't go to law school at all.

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Reapply, but also throw a hail mary at that NU 150k ED.

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:30 pm

WeeBey wrote:Reapply, but also throw a hail mary at that NU 150k ED.
Wouldn't he still graduate with six figure debt though? Isn't the cost like 300k now or does the NU ED pay for ALL tuition and most of COL?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stillblade

New

Post by Stillblade » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:13 pm

Thanks for all the advice so far guys - much appreciated.

Just to note, I will have some savings / substantial help from parents to minimize debt. IF I get into CCN sticker (big IF considering mylsn gives me a snowball's chance in hell), I'd be looking at ~$150K at repayment. Obviously not ideal but not the worst situation ever considering the high probability of obtaining biglaw.

With that in mind, if I do reapply, do you guys think it'd be advisable to ED UChicago / NYU? I don't think the NU ED is happening with my numbers.

Also, I can't do a fourth retake for a long time. Which really sucks cause I'd be totally down for that.

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:25 pm

Stillblade wrote:Thanks for all the advice so far guys - much appreciated.

Just to note, I will have some savings / substantial help from parents to minimize debt. IF I get into CCN sticker (big IF considering mylsn gives me a snowball's chance in hell), I'd be looking at ~$150K at repayment. Obviously not ideal but not the worst situation ever considering the high probability of obtaining biglaw.

With that in mind, if I do reapply, do you guys think it'd be advisable to ED UChicago / NYU? I don't think the NU ED is happening with my numbers.

Also, I can't do a fourth retake for a long time. Which really sucks cause I'd be totally down for that.
Are your parents legit wealthy or just middle class with some savings? If the latter, I'm not sure it's financially a great idea to take their money for something like law school just so you could do biglaw.

I wouldn't ED anywhere - you'd have no negotiating power. I'd also still try to keep total costs below the numbers I listed above, because money (regardless of whether you pay cash or take out debt, is still coming out of your or your parents' pocket).

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:13 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:25 pm

Do you have a decently paying job now? Even if you'd be able to get some money from other schools by waiting another year and reapplying, there's also the opportunity cost of that year's delay (i.e.: delaying a BigLaw starting salary by one year, plus higher tuition).

Definitely let Michigan know about your higher LSAT score. They might be willing to offer you a bit more money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:52 pm

krads153 wrote:
Wouldn't he still graduate with six figure debt though? Isn't the cost like 300k now or does the NU ED pay for ALL tuition and most of COL?
It leaves you with about 90k+ interest. But still, thats pretty fucking great. I'd take that over a hammy that would leave me with 200k in debt any day.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:33 pm

WeeBey wrote:
krads153 wrote:
It leaves you with about 90k+ interest. But still, thats pretty fucking great. I'd take that over a hammy that would leave me with 200k in debt any day.
Do you mean a Butler?

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:30 pm

Anecdotal but I just went through Mich OCI last year.

I know basically no one from my group of 10-15 friends that didn't get a biglaw job in NYC who wanted one--and no these kids are definitely not gunners. Many of them were right around/just above median, but were just social and could interview well.

The amount of people who want public interest at Mich is downplayed, as is being a normal, social person in the OCI setting.

If you really want NYC biglaw, are willing to study hard, and are a social/outgoing person than I don't think it's a huge risk. The opportunity cost of waiting a year is 6-figures if you're postponing biglaw placement a year.

Food for thought.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:47 pm

runinthefront wrote:Reapply. No brainer

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

abl

Silver

Post by abl » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:12 pm

I'm confused: is the general TLS consensus these days that NW/Duke > Michigan?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:15 pm

yes

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:25 pm

Didn't read the thread but voted reapply.

Can't imagine that's not the answer if you're asking the question.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:32 pm

reapply unless you could somehow get M to give you a full scholarship (impossible)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:35 pm

I'd probably take it but try to push for 60

gocowboys

New

Post by gocowboys » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:36 pm

Brut wrote:yes
Why is NU>mich?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:40 pm

abl wrote:I'm confused: is the general TLS consensus these days that NW/Duke > Michigan?
http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/ ... thwestern/

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:44 pm

Brut wrote:
runinthefront wrote:Reapply. No brainer

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”