Harvard for 190k? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lawperson2018

New

Harvard for 190k?

Post by Lawperson2018 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:26 pm

Is it stupid to go to Harvard for ~190k (according to lawschool22's COA sheet) of debt at graduation if I want PI in either DC or the south and not BigLaw? Seems like Havard's LIPP program will make it reasonable to repay everything in 10 years if I come out of school making 60-70k per year. Is it a reasonable assumption that the debt would be manageable in this scenario?

Gold

Re: Harvard for 180k?

Post by 052220152 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:28 pm

do you have a full ride anywhere?

Lawperson2018

New

Re: Harvard for 180k?

Post by Lawperson2018 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Jim Jones wrote:do you have a full ride anywhere?
No. Best other offer would be Cornell for like 80k debt but then I'd probably end up in NYC

jemthey17

Silver

Re: Harvard for 190k?

Post by jemthey17 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:34 pm

What kind of PI do you want to do? Disclaimer, I am a 0L, but I don't think it's completely crazy if you are really focused, but I don't think that's the case for most people who go to law school saying they want PI.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:35 pm

meh. I would probably do harvard for 190 irrespective of my goals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

4for44

Bronze

Post by 4for44 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:46 pm

LIPP really is a great program. If you are PI focused, you'll likely pay the same amount of your salary towards loans on LIPP from HLS as you would with a LOT less loans from another place. Use the LIPP calculator (online tool) to get an estimate. If you really are PI focused, the money shouldn't be as big of a factor.

Also making 60-70 straight out seems ambitious for PI, unless your are talking Government.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:meh. I would probably do harvard for 190 irrespective of my goals.

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Post by BiglawAssociate » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:45 pm

4for44 wrote:LIPP really is a great program. If you are PI focused, you'll likely pay the same amount of your salary towards loans on LIPP from HLS as you would with a LOT less loans from another place. Use the LIPP calculator (online tool) to get an estimate. If you really are PI focused, the money shouldn't be as big of a factor.

Also making 60-70 straight out seems ambitious for PI, unless your are talking Government.
Yeah more like 50k...you'll make a lot less than secretaries at biglaw firms. Maybe less than Starbucks baristas.

Is LIPP here to stay? I wouldn't trust it. Also if you want to do PI 200k debt is insane imo. EATING RAMEN FOR LIFE.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:59 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:
4for44 wrote:LIPP really is a great program. If you are PI focused, you'll likely pay the same amount of your salary towards loans on LIPP from HLS as you would with a LOT less loans from another place. Use the LIPP calculator (online tool) to get an estimate. If you really are PI focused, the money shouldn't be as big of a factor.

Yeah more like 50k...you'll make a lot less than secretaries at biglaw firms. Maybe less than Starbucks baristas.

Is LIPP here to stay? I wouldn't trust it. Also if you want to do PI 200k debt is insane imo. EATING RAMEN FOR LIFE.
I can see some skepticism about PSLF programs, but I would bet a lot of money at horrible odds that Harvard will not change LIPP, at least for those who are already enrolled. I'm not even sure they could legally get away with that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:04 pm

RELIANCE bro

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:06 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:

but DAT GRANDADDY clause

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Post by BiglawAssociate » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Auxilio wrote:
BiglawAssociate wrote:

I can see some skepticism about PSLF programs, but I would bet a lot of money at horrible odds that Harvard will not change LIPP, at least for those who are already enrolled. I'm not even sure they could legally get away with that.
LOL. Is there some kind of legal contract that both parties sign? Read the small font - "program may change, etc."

Still too risky for me, in light of how the government is intent on fucking over PSLF

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:17 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote: LOL. Is there some kind of legal contract that both parties sign? Read the small font - "program may change, etc."

Still too risky for me, in light of how the government is intent on fucking over PSLF

HYS's LRAPs are the only ones not tied to IBR/PSLF and therefore the only ones not tied to change in government policy. They're entirely in-house.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

4for44

Bronze

Post by 4for44 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Thing is LIPP and PSLF are completely separate (you can work at a firm and still get LIPP (albeit in a reduced amount based on income)). Plenty of friends going onto LIPP- I don't think there is anyone at HLS worried about it remaining for the foreseeable future.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:27 pm

starry eyed wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:meh. I would probably do harvard for 190 irrespective of my goals.
This. HAHVAHD for a discount.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:36 pm

I'd say tentatively yes, but I do wonder what pricetag makes even H too expensive. I feel like we're approaching it.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:37 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
BiglawAssociate wrote:

LOL. Is there some kind of legal contract that both parties sign? Read the small font - "program may change, etc."

It could, but it would be bad press, and I don't see Harvard worrying about the financial impact to such an extent they wouldn't grandfather people in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:40 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:I do wonder what pricetag makes even H too expensive.
I know it when I see it.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:27 pm

I think any T6 is fine at $190k in the abstract (and maybe a few more schools too). it's all about what other options are out there. If there's another top school for a lot cheaper, that's a better option. Otherwise, yea I'm comfortable okaying $190k debt at HLS.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:11 am

I know a prosecutor in TX who went to Harvard, she's on their LRAP and PSLF. She said having all that debt kinda screwed her when applying for a mortgage but I'm not sure how all that works. I get why people go to Harvard when they have that option (I mean, it's Harvard) but when I think of her situation I kind of wonder if she would have been better off going to, like, UT on a full ride. I wonder if she would be in the same place only with 150K less debt. But maybe the lesser debt wouldn't matter and maybe I'm underselling the long term benefits of a Harvard JD.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:19 am

I'd probably take Harvard since Cornell doesn't beat it with a discount. Fuck t14 tuition btw.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:44 am

BigZuck wrote:I know a prosecutor in TX who went to Harvard, she's on their LRAP and PSLF. She said having all that debt kinda screwed her when applying for a mortgage but I'm not sure how all that works. I get why people go to Harvard when they have that option (I mean, it's Harvard) but when I think of her situation I kind of wonder if she would have been better off going to, like, UT on a full ride. I wonder if she would be in the same place only with 150K less debt. But maybe the lesser debt wouldn't matter and maybe I'm underselling the long term benefits of a Harvard JD.
but we can also apply this speculation more broadly. Ideally, the best outcome is to go to the cheapest school possible and get biglaw. That can be accomplished by finishing at the top of your TTT class. But instead, if you chose to go to t14 for sticker and got biglaw, you will still wonder what if you had went to the TTT, saved money, and gotten biglaw anyway.

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:23 am

jbagelboy wrote:I think any T6 is fine at $190k in the abstract (and maybe a few more schools too). it's all about what other options are out there. If there's another top school for a lot cheaper, that's a better option. Otherwise, yea I'm comfortable okaying $190k debt at HLS.
Sounds about right. That's a little more than I'll be graduating with. I know OP said PI, but with big law that's doable in 4-5 years.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:32 am

Lawperson2018 wrote:Is it stupid to go to Harvard for ~190k (according to lawschool22's COA sheet) of debt at graduation if I want PI in either DC or the south and not BigLaw? Seems like Havard's LIPP program will make it reasonable to repay everything in 10 years if I come out of school making 60-70k per year. Is it a reasonable assumption that the debt would be manageable in this scenario?
What type of PI? If you want to work at a DAs or PDs, it might make more sense to go to school where you want to work for free (DC's a different animal than "the south").

blueberrycrumble

Bronze

Post by blueberrycrumble » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:57 am

What do people ITT is the number at which H is a definite go? 140k? Thats what the base loans are now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”