Washington vs Duke vs Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School?

UW
43%
Duke
40%
Columbia
17%

Total votes: 35

Stannis the Mannis

Washington vs Duke vs Columbia

Postby Stannis the Mannis » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:36 pm

Thanks for your help everyone! I edited out most of the personal stuff but left the schools for any future readers.

Engineer, wanting biglaw, would like to return to Seattle but open to NYC and other markets.

University of Washington – Roughly full tuition, $60k COA

Duke—$75k scholarship, 148k COA.

Penn—Currently waiting to hear about scholarships, $235k COA as it stands.

Columbia—sticker, $250k COA
Last edited by Stannis the Mannis on Thu May 07, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: Washington vs Duke vs Columbia

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Columbia at sticker price is not a realistic option when you have a full tuition scholarship from the primary school in your targeted region. Duke if you're not determined to stay in the Seattle area.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:54 pm

I would take UW in this situation and not give it a second thought. (If being in Seattle long term is important to you).

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:57 pm

Columbia--I would honestly buy a pack of white makeup and try to make it as a mime on the streets of NYC before going at sticker

I actually voted Duke but I think either that or UW is a solid choice

green.tea

Postby green.tea » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:49 pm

My situation/background is similar to yours, likewise deciding between several T14's $$ and a T30 $$$$. If Penn comes through with an offer close to Duke, that's where I'd go.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:51 pm

Duke if you wouldn't mind not returning to Seattle, UW if you would. Congrats on great outcomes!

transferror

Postby transferror » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:01 pm

Columbia is out. Penn is out for now.

This comes down to your preference on type of work vs. location:

If Seattle (w/ any job) > biglaw, then UW
If biglaw > location, then Duke

w/o a T14 that directly feeds in, the PNW is just one of those markets where you have to either take your best shot at biglaw from a regional with the expectation that it probably won't happen or leave for a T-14 with the expectation that you'll probably get biglaw but it's unlikely to be in Seattle.

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:54 pm

T14 with strong ties to Seattle might be ok for getting back, but definitely not enough to count on it.

Did you apply to Berkeley at all? I feel that might have a better chance with PNW than East Coast schools (minus H/Y of course). Could be wrong though

usn26

Postby usn26 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:56 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:Duke if you wouldn't mind not returning to Seattle, UW if you would. Congrats on great outcomes!

+1

Stannis the Mannis

Postby Stannis the Mannis » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:57 pm

The Dark Shepard wrote:T14 with strong ties to Seattle might be ok for getting back, but definitely not enough to count on it.

Did you apply to Berkeley at all? I feel that might have a better chance with PNW than East Coast schools (minus H/Y of course). Could be wrong though

I'm waitlisted at Berkeley. I'm probably going to ride it out just to see what happens, but it would take some money to pull me away from the other options. Being one of the best at IP is a nice draw though.

More of a general question to people, but does anyone know how a patent law focus affects employment outcomes? For example, are firms willing to go deeper into a class, or does it not really matter? An attorney I talked to said his IP classmates seemed to all do fairly well in getting jobs. Thanks to everyone for your opinions so far!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:27 pm

A legitimate IP background, which you seem to have, definitely gives you a leg up. You'll have little trouble getting a biglaw job out of Duke. But getting a job in a specific city like Seattle, one that doesn't have that many jobs to begin with, will still be tough.

green.tea

Postby green.tea » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:48 pm

I looked at the 'Latest employment data' spreadsheet, and the 2014 UW FTLTBR number is 61%, one of the lowest on the list. That employment outcome would be a consideration for me.

lionelmessi

Postby lionelmessi » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:07 pm

I did get an offer from Perkins Coie Seattle out of OCI from Duke with no stronger ties to Seattle than family that live there. However, only they and K&L Gates came to OCI at Duke recruiting for Seattle. Nearly all of my friends who have science backgrounds and want IP have been able to find excellent Big Law IP jobs (usual Silicon Valley suspects with some SoCal, NYC and DC sprinkled in).

Bottom line, coming to Duke definitely wouldn't preclude you from getting back to Seattle, and would for sure help you get Big Law IP over UW, for example. And it would also open up other doors that you might discover you want to go through once you are actually in law school.

That's why I voted Duke, but then, I'm biased.

redtalun

Postby redtalun » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:26 pm

OP, send me a PM. We should talk sometime. I'm a 2L at UW and going into patent pros.

Vermonster

Postby Vermonster » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:17 pm

You're the One True King so I'm not sure why you want to go to law school. But if you really are set on it then I guess Duke.

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:49 pm

Vermonster wrote:You're the One True King so I'm not sure why you want to go to law school. But if you really are set on it then I guess Duke.

He's hoping to find support, as lawyers will support his claim while "lords" will not

Stannis the Mannis

Postby Stannis the Mannis » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:47 pm

Vermonster wrote:You're the One True King...

*Nods in approval

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:01 pm

Duke is the only choice here.

One T-14, one God, one king.

But shitty ASOIAF jokes aside, this is TCR:

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:Duke if you wouldn't mind not returning to Seattle, UW if you would. Congrats on great outcomes!

If Penn matches, then swap them for Duke.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:48 pm

Stannis the Mannis wrote:-Your general career goals
I have an engineering background and I’m pretty set on IP law. Open to either litigation or prosecution. My goal is to do biglaw at least initially (or an IP boutique).

Job prospects are just SO much better at Columbia as compared to UW. I personally would only consider UW over Columbia if I had an EE PhD and knew I wanted to do pros.

If you go through lawschool and realize you want to do IP lit, then out of UW you'll likely have to be at the top of your class even with the PhD tho.

I'm sure you are aware that patent prosecution and patent litigation are actually very different fields. It's cool to not know which one you want as a 0L but know that your engineering background will not go as far for IP lit, because grades are still primary for IP lit.

If your engineering background is a BS, it likely won't help you all that much for either field. A PhD in EE or a masters with job experience should help you get pros.

Plus how big is the Seattle IP market anyway?

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:55 am

I looked into working in Seattle. There just aren't many jobs there. If you're Seattle or BUST, there's a good chance of striking out from UW. If you strike out from UW, it's not like you can find a job anywhere else.

If you go to Duke, and you strike out in Seattle, you can still get a job.

Stannis the Mannis

Postby Stannis the Mannis » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:05 pm

L’Étranger wrote:
Stannis the Mannis wrote:-Your general career goals
I have an engineering background and I’m pretty set on IP law. Open to either litigation or prosecution. My goal is to do biglaw at least initially (or an IP boutique).

Job prospects are just SO much better at Columbia as compared to UW. I personally would only consider UW over Columbia if I had an EE PhD and knew I wanted to do pros.

If you go through lawschool and realize you want to do IP lit, then out of UW you'll likely have to be at the top of your class even with the PhD tho.

I'm sure you are aware that patent prosecution and patent litigation are actually very different fields. It's cool to not know which one you want as a 0L but know that your engineering background will not go as far for IP lit, because grades are still primary for IP lit.

If your engineering background is a BS, it likely won't help you all that much for either field. A PhD in EE or a masters with job experience should help you get pros.

Plus how big is the Seattle IP market anyway?

I think the Seattle IP market is decent sized, especially relative to the total number of firm jobs. There are some IP boutiques (Seed, Knobbe Martens), and some of the large firms also have good IP programs (like Cooley and Perkins).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”