GULC v. Cornell v. Others Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
betty_bojangles

Bronze

GULC v. Cornell v. Others

Post by betty_bojangles » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:25 pm

removed.
Last edited by betty_bojangles on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston1984

Gold

Re: GULC v. Cornell v. Others

Post by Winston1984 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:26 pm

Cornell

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:29 pm

Current GULC student here.
Go. To. Cornell.
This isn't even close.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:36 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:Is Georgetown at all justifiable here?
Na
Winston1984 wrote:Cornell
Ya

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:37 pm

If you're set on big law, Cornell seems the obvious answer here. Do ask them for at least 5k/year more, just cuz you can. (FWIW there is room for getting more out of GULC scholarshipwise, irrespective of what they've been telling us, but still, given that you want BL, I'd say you should go to Cornell either way.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:38 pm

betty_bojangles wrote: Cornell - COA: $87,689 ($150,000 scholarship)
This CoA estimate assumes a 2L SA, no? Not that it would affect your decision.

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:40 pm

swadianfc wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote: Cornell - COA: $87,689 ($150,000 scholarship)
This CoA estimate assumes a 2L SA, no? Not that it would affect your decision.
Sorry, these are without the SA, but with ~20k savings that I will be contributing.

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:35 pm

Thank you for all the replies! Good to see that there is consensus. Everyone outside TLS has been telling me to go to GULC, which was causing some internal strife.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:43 pm

Cornell for sure. Better to not like Ithaca as much as DC for three years if it's more likely to get you the job you want AND save you money. Also you could look into doing a semester elsewhere or something if you really hated Ithaca.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:29 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:Thank you for all the replies! Good to see that there is consensus. Everyone outside TLS has been telling me to go to GULC, which was causing some internal strife.
Are those people lawyers and law students? Or non-law people? Georgetown has a lot of lay-prestige, some people probably think law schools go Harvard -> Georgetown -> everywhere else.

Here at Cornell there's a Boston job fair in addition to our main August job fair. And who knows, you might like Ithaca more than you think. I came from a big city and I think the college town atmosphere can be fun and interesting (not counting the difficulty of getting to Ithaca).

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:13 pm

Yea All Right wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:Thank you for all the replies! Good to see that there is consensus. Everyone outside TLS has been telling me to go to GULC, which was causing some internal strife.
Are those people lawyers and law students? Or non-law people? Georgetown has a lot of lay-prestige, some people probably think law schools go Harvard -> Georgetown -> everywhere else.

Here at Cornell there's a Boston job fair in addition to our main August job fair. And who knows, you might like Ithaca more than you think. I came from a big city and I think the college town atmosphere can be fun and interesting (not counting the difficulty of getting to Ithaca).
Lawyers and others from my (small) firm as well as non-law friends who are trying to convince me Ithaca is a Antarctica. Do you find that those who want Boston are able to get it?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:21 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:Do you find that those who want Boston are able to get it?
Yes.

Other than the two 2Ls I know going to Boston, I don't have much firsthand knowledge, but according to a 2L who knows more about this than I do, getting Boston from here if you have ties is even easier than getting NYC. That could be an exaggeration, but I believe at least it's not terribly difficult.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:21 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:

Lawyers and others from my (small) firm as well as non-law friends who are trying to convince me Ithaca is a Antarctica. Do you find that those who want Boston are able to get it?
Still a 1L and haven't gone through recruiting yet, I just know there is a Boston job fair (but Boston firms go to AJF as well). Hopefully Lavitz sees this and can swoop in to save the day with his information.

Also if you are from Boston then I can't imagine you being that bothered by Ithaca weather.

Edit: And he did

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:27 pm

Yea All Right wrote:
Also if you are from Boston then I can't imagine you being that bothered by Ithaca weather.
After the snow we got this year, going somewhere warm seemed pretty enticing. Truthfully, I'm more afraid of the vast amount of cowtown that surrounds the area though lol.
Lavitz wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:Do you find that those who want Boston are able to get it?
Yes.

Other than the two 2Ls I know going to Boston, I don't have much firsthand knowledge, but according to a 2L who knows more about this than I do, getting Boston from here if you have ties is even easier than getting NYC. That could be an exaggeration, but I believe at least it's not terribly difficult.
Thanks, that's very reassuring to hear!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”