Offered Fulbright--defer or reapply?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What do?

Ride out the waitlist and ditch Fulbright
No votes
Total votes: 19

Offered Fulbright--defer or reapply?

Postby stoopkid13 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:41 pm

I've been awarded a Fulbright ETA grant. I am also waitlisted at Harvard, in at NYU, Columbia, Boalt, Michigan, Penn, and Duke but no serious money at any (nothing more than half-tuition and no named scholarships). I have a 3.7/172. I took the LSAT once this October. I'd like to do some type of PI law, but I'm not totally set on what form that would take.

The decision I am struggling with is what to do about Fulbright given my waitlist. Should I take the Fulbright and reapply next year, hoping to get another bite at the YHS apple? I could retake--I don't think I studied for the LSAT as much as I could have but my actual score was about where my PTs were. That being said, I think the bigger weakness is my GPA and not much I can do there. LSN doesn't show much of an increase in odds at YS with a higher LSAT, marginally so at H. My softs are fairly strong already, but I feel like my application won't be any weaker by adding a Fulbright. But if there isn't much added benefit, do I just take the Fulbright and defer at my top choice acceptance to save myself the grief and enjoy my Fulbright year? Or do I go straight to law school and hope to get off the waitlist at H this cycle? I am reluctant to turn down the opportunity to live and work abroad on a personal level, but I also recognize the Fulbright ETA doesn't have a lot of value added for my legal career.

Re: Offered Fulbright--defer or reapply?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:44 pm

Talk to Harvard admissions.

Postby Indifference » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:45 am

Why not just do the Fulbright cause lol Fulbright and then reapply? Seems you want to do it. Just do it. Law school will be here in a year :)

Postby twenty » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:59 am

If you want to do the Fulbright, do that. Law school isn't going anywhere.

Also, Fulbright is kind of a nice soft to have. Maybe that'd push you over the top later if you don't get into H this cycle.

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:00 am

you cant defer off the waitlist so just reapply unless youve got some great offer from one of the schools youve been accepted to.

Postby lurkerlarry » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:20 am

Do it, I got back in November, it is a great time. Just reapply. Things will work out.

Also what country?

Postby stoopkid13 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:54 am

To the people saying law school will be there next year, my hangup is with the waitlist, Harvard might be here this year but not next year (or not at all).

Postby antiworldly » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:30 am

Your numbers are marginal for HLS, so it's not a huge surprise you're waitlisted. A fullbright though is the kind of soft that will help you punch slightly above your numbers and help you get better outcomes next time around. HLS obviously liked you b/c they didn't outright reject you, and if they see you withdrew for a fullbright I believe that they'll understand and look more favorably upon your app when you reapply, IMHO. Plus, a fullbright will be a good selling point for post-law school job searches.

Postby Rigo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:50 am

You're thinking about this a little too clinically. Take the Fulbright if it's a program and experience you genuinely want, law school aside.

Postby Tasik32 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:08 am

OP, I had a somewhat similar decision (albeit not as great options on my first cycle). I took the Fulbright ETA and I've had a much better cycle this year. I'd encourage you to take it. It's a great opportunity and will only increase your stock in the eyes of admissions. Also, depending on your independence in the grant, I think it's really helpful preparation for the working world - and I'm hoping for law school as well. Feel free to PM me for more details and congrats!

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:17 am

Just remember there are a ton of people on H's waitlist. Hell, I was on that waitlist and didn't ultimately get accepted. If I were you I'd take the Fulbright--people told me when I was in your shoes that there's no rush on going to law school and I didn't listen, now there are (a lot) of times I wish I had. I think if anything you help your chances at H by trying again later, but if I were you I'd take a look at the "What's the deal with Harvard students" thread and try to go to Chicago or Columbia with a scholarship.

Also, unless a 172 was below a lot of your practice tests, I don't really buy the retake advice. Good chance you'll score lower. Then again, if you were practice testing at 178s every time and you had an off day, knock yourself out. I had a similar LSAT score and it was higher than most of my PTs, no way in hell I was gonna jeapordize my awesome game day performance and subject myself to potential averaging, etc.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:20 am

Take the Fulbright. I'm very glad I lived abroad for a year before law school. It will be much harder, if not impossible, to do something like this after law school; now is the time.

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:27 am

Do the Fullbright thing. I'd withdraw from everywhere because those other schools will likely readmit you next year and you'll have a new resume line. Like the poster above me said, once you're on the path, the only way to pump the brakes without falling off is to try to get a clerkship somewhere fun.

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:03 pm

Do you want to teach abroad?

I'd say defer CLS and go for it if you want to teach. A bunch of people here deferred for fulbright or a similar program and came the next year.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”