Arizona vs. ASU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
johnsont426

Arizona vs. ASU

Postby johnsont426 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:14 am

I am admitted by Arizona and still waiting for ASU. Just have few questions after the newest usnwr ranking came out and before LST release newest detail data. I am assuming that Arizona is still considered stable since it has been around 40 for many years and ASU is on the rise both in terms of ranking and employment data. So if I have to choose between these two, despite of financial factor, are they still in the same stand just like what people said in the threads few years ago or the gap between the two is getting bigger? Like to hear from some current students about the real situation going on in the schools. Thanks for the reply in advance.

Winston1984

Re: Arizona vs. ASU

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:57 am

I wouldn't base your decision on the rankings from a magazine.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/asu/arizona/
As you can see, they are practically identical in terms of employment. I would go to which ever one was cheaper. If they end up costing roughly the same, just go to whichever one you like better once you visit.

hdaze

Postby hdaze » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:09 am

I'm also interested in this. I plan on attending U of A due to a strong preference for Tucson, but I am interested in the rankings gap. Could it be in part due to the proximity to the Phoenix market? Hope to get some current students opinions! Thanks.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:27 am

Although I was rejected by Arizona because of my C&F disclosure this past cycle, I would absolutely choose Arizona State instead. I suppose it comes down to the person. A lot of people on here don't put too much stock into the USNWR rankings, but I tend to and I see ASU as a solid T30 these days. Some questioned its staying power, but the new rankings are proving that its ranking is deserved. Arizona can't break out of the 40's.

Now you all say rankings don't matter and that's it really T14 vs. respectable regional schools vs. TTT's, but every school is ranked by the same methodology, yet some of them still can't stabilize their rankings or they plateau in the 40's like Zona has and then they try to downplay the significance of the rankings when they can't rise. If Arizona is capable of rising to ASU's level why hasn't it made that climb?

I would go with the Sun Devils. :twisted:

But do understand that a lot of people on here wouldn't consider my reasoning all that rational (which is why I explained it in this post). Also, I've heard that living in Tuscon is more akin to living in New Mexico or West Texas whereas living in Tempe is like living in LA or Phoenix.

johnsont426

Postby johnsont426 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks for the reply so far. I've been studied the LST data for a while so I understand why most people consider these two identical in terms of job prospects. According to those data, if you neglect the significant percentage of school funded job that ASU offers its graduates you will get almost the same numbers between the two. So I believe the most obvious advantage that ASU has is the local connection and network in Phoenix, but does that really put Arizona's graduates in a relatively worse ground when competing with ASU grads in job hunting in Phoenix?

hdaze

Postby hdaze » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:18 pm

johnsont426 wrote:Thanks for the reply so far. I've been studied the LST data for a while so I understand why most people consider these two identical in terms of job prospects. According to those data, if you neglect the significant percentage of school funded job that ASU offers its graduates you will get almost the same numbers between the two. So I believe the most obvious advantage that ASU has is the local connection and network in Phoenix, but does that really put Arizona's graduates in a relatively worse ground when competing with ASU grads in job hunting in Phoenix?

I don't think Arizona grads fair significantly worse in Phoenix than ASU grads do. If you were to go to UA but ultimately wanted to end up in Phoenix, it would probably be best for you to spend summers there for networking purposes. But, I'd say employers don't have a strong bias towards either school. A large number of Phoenicians will have done either their law or undergrad degree at the UA.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:22 pm

Go to the one with the new building obviously.

johnsont426

Postby johnsont426 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:27 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Go to the one with the new building obviously.

I will take your suggestion into account :lol:

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:34 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Go to the one with the new building obviously.

But, I just saw ASU has one of the highest STD rates of any university. So I think these cancel each other out.

Iwanttolawschool

Postby Iwanttolawschool » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:41 pm

ASU undergrad has like 90,000 students. bound to be a few stidders out there.

In seriousness, I think as of now ASU is considered better than U of A, but marginally.
However once the new building is made and the ASU campus is on the same block as the major firms of PHX.. ASU >> U of A

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:01 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:ASU undergrad has like 90,000 students. bound to be a few stidders out there.

In seriousness, I think as of now ASU is considered better than U of A, but marginally.
However once the new building is made and the ASU campus is on the same block as the major firms of PHX.. ASU >> U of A

I was joking about the building hth

Iwanttolawschool

Postby Iwanttolawschool » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Traffic in parts of Arizona is brutal. Tucson is a 2 hour commute to PHX at least. I could see the building being a stone throw away being an influence in the future. Why wouldn't it? Also, new is always better. always.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:11 pm

DaRascal wrote:Although I was rejected by Arizona because of my C&F disclosure this past cycle, I would absolutely choose Arizona State instead. I suppose it comes down to the person. A lot of people on here don't put too much stock into the USNWR rankings, but I tend to and I see ASU as a solid T30 these days. Some questioned its staying power, but the new rankings are proving that its ranking is deserved. Arizona can't break out of the 40's.

Now you all say rankings don't matter and that's it really T14 vs. respectable regional schools vs. TTT's, but every school is ranked by the same methodology, yet some of them still can't stabilize their rankings or they plateau in the 40's like Zona has and then they try to downplay the significance of the rankings when they can't rise. If Arizona is capable of rising to ASU's level why hasn't it made that climb?

I would go with the Sun Devils. :twisted:

But do understand that a lot of people on here wouldn't consider my reasoning all that rational (which is why I explained it in this post). Also, I've heard that living in Tuscon is more akin to living in New Mexico or West Texas whereas living in Tempe is like living in LA or Phoenix.

This is really dumb. (I particularly mean the ranking argument, but also, Tempe is like living in Phoenix because it is living in Phoenix.)

They're basically the same school. Tucson and Phoenix are different enough, you'll probably like one better than the other. Go there. (Assuming cost is the same.)

johnsont426

Postby johnsont426 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:25 pm

hdaze wrote:
johnsont426 wrote:Thanks for the reply so far. I've been studied the LST data for a while so I understand why most people consider these two identical in terms of job prospects. According to those data, if you neglect the significant percentage of school funded job that ASU offers its graduates you will get almost the same numbers between the two. So I believe the most obvious advantage that ASU has is the local connection and network in Phoenix, but does that really put Arizona's graduates in a relatively worse ground when competing with ASU grads in job hunting in Phoenix?

I don't think Arizona grads fair significantly worse in Phoenix than ASU grads do. If you were to go to UA but ultimately wanted to end up in Phoenix, it would probably be best for you to spend summers there for networking purposes. But, I'd say employers don't have a strong bias towards either school. A large number of Phoenicians will have done either their law or undergrad degree at the UA.

Thanks, that's good to hear since I am leaning toward UA

rwhyAn

Postby rwhyAn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:39 pm

ASU undergrad here, but all things being equal, choose the school you like better. Don't get caught up in the rankings. Up until 3 or 4 years ago, U of A was always top dog in the rankings. As much as I love ASU and the Phoenix area more, I would be concerned about tuition jumping to help finance the new law school downtown (which was a huge mistake in this economy). Whether it be Phoenix or Tucson, enjoy three years in the sun!

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:58 pm

Yea ignore rankings, go with the new building /thread

Jordan77

Postby Jordan77 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:44 pm

Double ASU Grad here (Undergrad/J.D.). In my 5th year as an attorney in a Phoenix firm.

There is no difference, in my opinion, with either U of A or ASU in terms of employment prospects in Arizona. Firms basically view them as equal, though some might have a bias depending on if they went to that particular school. There is a strong presence from both schools in the Phoenix market. Both schools are also somewhat able to break into the California market along with Nevada and New Mexico fairly well IMO.

Things to consider:

(1) More externships and clinic opportunities will be available at ASU. Simply put, Phoenix will have more opportunities available than Tucson based on population alone. Many U of A grads might come up for the summer to law clerk, but you would probably have to arrange alternative housing if you're set up down in Tucson.

(2) Location: Do you want to live down in Tucson? U of A's campus is very pretty, but a lot of Tucson is run down and shady. Of course there are upscale and shady areas in both Tucson and Phoenix. However, Tucson is definitely much smaller. My sister went to U of A for undergrad and medical school and has had her car broken into a few times in a GYM parking lot.

(3) ASU is building a new law school downtown and I am not sure when it is scheduled to open. From what I hear it is going to be absolutely amazing. The current ASU law school is old and run down a bit. The law library is newer and nice IMO.

(4) MONEY - this is the big one - really given the equal comparison... I think this should be the most determining factor unless it is a wash.

tl;dr - both schools are great and the employment options are comparable. As a practicing attorney, I can tell you there is no bias with either. Class rank will be way more important. Top of class at either school will probably get you into a decent clerkship or biglaw job. But only the top 5-10% can expect biglaw.

KamronK

Postby KamronK » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:53 pm

If I stay in-state, I'm likely choosing ASU at $6k more total cost over 3 years. I like the direction the school is going, and the new building in the middle of downtown is going to be amazing. Some of the cost is offset by not needing to travel multiple times between Tucson and Phoenix. There's also the added convenience of not having to move for summer work.

I would go to UA if you absolutely hate big cities and want the atmosphere that a smaller school provides. I have friends that have been happy with their experience. The staff there is awesome as well. I just would never choose the bad roads and overrated Mexican food (although you should try the Macho Taco at Boca near the UA law school) of Tucson over the growing Phoenix area.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”