NYU or Columbia (Just Bouncing Some Ideas Around)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Weaselfish

NYU or Columbia (Just Bouncing Some Ideas Around)

Postby Weaselfish » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Hey guys, I'm pretty much set on living in NYC this coming fall. I've been admitted to both NYU and Columbia, and am trying to decide between the two.

I just received notice that I won't be receiving any merit aid from NYU, and I'm not optimistic about any aid coming from Columbia either. My parents have agreed to pay 50k per year (for which I'm incredibly grateful), so it looks like in the worst case scenario I would be taking on around 100-110k in debt.

I understand that the two schools are pretty comparable when it comes to employment prospects, but I was wondering if it would be possible (or likely) that I could leverage my acceptances into some amount of money from one of the schools. If this is indeed a possibility, would it be too early to start trying to negotiate now, or should I hold off until official notice from Columbia? Also, is it reasonable to incur this amount of debt while attending these schools? I want to keep my options open between pursuing PI, BigLaw, or a clerkship.

Thanks for any of your thoughts!

tlsapp2017

Re: NYU or Columbia (Just Bouncing Some Ideas Around)

Postby tlsapp2017 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:47 pm

1. It's definitely reasonable to take on 100-110k in debt to attend CLS or NYU. Most people who are attending those schools are probably taking on a lot more debt.

2. I highly doubt that you can leverage you acceptance to NYU into $ at CLS or vice versa. I'd say your best shot is to wait and hope that Columbia gives you some money. If not, as I said above, the amount of debt you'll have to take on is totally justifiable to attend either school.

Congrats on two fantastic options!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:57 pm

Didn't work for me but it's worth a shot. Hopefully you have some acceptances further down the rankings where scholarship money happened

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:58 pm

People are going to say that a) you should save your parents and yourself money by retaking the LSAT or b) save them or you money by attending lower ranked school on a higher scholarship. Just fyi.

If money is honestly equal between the two and no instinctive preference jumped out at you, I think the default credited answer is CLS. The employment numbers are just a tad better and rent is cheaper. It's a slightly smaller school with more resources per student. CLS has a four grade system (A - B), whereas NYU has a 5 grade system. However, there are lots of other factors - tangible and intangible - that could swing you back to NYU. Definitely better restaurants and bars down in the west village, when you can afford them.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”