ED to Columbia? 3.8/169 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

ED to Columbia?

ED to Columbia
25%
Regular cycle
75%
Retake... a 4th time.
No votes

Total votes: 12

concernedparent

New

ED to Columbia? 3.8/169

Post by concernedparent » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:38 pm

First, I apologize if this isn't the right forum. It didn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Before the TLS army reflexively says NO, or retake, there are some mitigating factors.

I have taken the LSAT 4 times, one cancel, other two scores are about the same. I can't stomach the thought of taking it again, and I feel like not improving with 5 takes would seriously jeopardize my chances. But this is all speculation on my part.

Secondly, I have family that's willing to subsidize my law school education. They are willing to pay half of my total COA wherever I go and loan the rest of the money to me at a low interest rate. A 260k COA becomes 130k+nominal interest. I most likely won't get in either way, so my ED application probably doesn't change anything lol.

My goals are CA biglaw > NYC biglaw > Any biglaw.

Last, and this a stupid reason. I've never not lived in a big city/urban area, and I would highly prefer to for lawschool. EDing to Penn is another option. I quite like Philly and it's probably a safer bet for biglaw than any other non-Columbia school I have any shot at.

TLDR:
Is ED'ing worth it given my circumstances?
3.8/169, rich family, no debt, can't/don't want to retake since I've retaken 3 times, want biglaw.
Last edited by concernedparent on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: ED to Columbia? 3.8/169

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:45 pm

Concerned parent?

Don't ED, Just apply everywhere and see what happens (Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and honestly Columbia, NYU, and Berkeley and maybe Chicago are all probably a waste but parents are paying the app fees I'm sure + there is the YOLO factor). Should get something decent at Duke, Cornell, etc. along with UCLA/USC.

LawBron James

Bronze

Post by LawBron James » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:46 pm

I just don't think there's any point. There's no real bump for ED.

Just apply across the T14. People with those numbers have gotten NYU and Penn and I think even Columbia this cycle. Plus Boalt seems like it would be a good option for you too. Why settle for 130k+ debt, when you could potentially end up at the same place with sub-100k debt?

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:49 pm

Could most likely get a steep discount at lower t14. Why box yourself into sticker at the most expensive school in the country?

Also I imagine the ed boost at cls is negligible, though I literally have no idea

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Your numbers are actually pretty good for other T14 schools. You're well above both medians at Cornell and Northwestern. In fact, you should consider EDing to Nothwestern, since there have been people with roughly your numbers that have gotten full rides via regular decision. Berkeley with money is also a pretty strong possibility.

Considering that your family's money will at some point become your money, I'd be pretty reluctant to flush it for a marginally better shot at biglaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Don't ed Columbia and pay sticker. Just toss apps up and see what happens. Agree with above that nw might be a good Ed if you wanna go there.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:14 pm

twenty wrote:Your numbers are actually pretty good for other T14 schools. You're well above both medians at Cornell and Northwestern. In fact, you should consider EDing to Nothwestern, since there have been people with roughly your numbers that have gotten full rides via regular decision. Berkeley with money is also a pretty strong possibility.

Considering that your family's money will at some point become your money, I'd be pretty reluctant to flush it for a marginally better shot at biglaw.
Berkeley? With money no less? For a 3.8/169?

Things have changed so much in the past two years.

If ED to Northwestern is possible at those numbers I'd definitely roll with that.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:23 pm

if you are after California, applying to Boalt is a no-brainer. Apply early and you have a great shot.

Don't waste your money on ED unless you are extremely wealthy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”