Antitrust?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wunderkind2

Antitrust?

Postby wunderkind2 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:38 am

Can someone provide a rough ranking of the T14 in terms of their antitrust programs? If you'd like to add non-T14 underrated schools to the list, have at it, but mainly looking for the T14 here.

Actus Reus

Re: Antitrust?

Postby Actus Reus » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:50 am

wunderkind2 wrote:Can someone provide a rough ranking of the T14 in terms of their antitrust programs? If you'd like to add non-T14 underrated schools to the list, have at it, but mainly looking for the T14 here.

This is silly. There will be at most 2/3 competition classes.

Go to the best school for the best value. Going for a specific program is unwise.

Postby 071816 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:58 am

There's no such thing as an antitrust program

transferror

Postby transferror » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:05 am

If you want antitrust, you want biglaw or DOJ, and DOJ is crazy competitive even among HYS students. So go to the school with the best biglaw odds, so long as it's financially responsible.

But I'm not sure how you could possibly know you would like Antitrust unless you have specific work experience in that area.

Nat Sherman

Postby Nat Sherman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:17 am

Program rankings are meaningless. Even if you could rank them, it would be detrimental because people would actually be making decisions off them. If you actually want to get into antitrust law, your best bet is to be top of your class from a top school and intern at either the FTC competition bureau or the antitrust division of the Department of Justice. Of the people who I've interviewed with for internships at those places, many were top of the class at T14's.

At most law schools, outside a student group that focuses on antitrust, the most offerings a school will have in antitrust law, is basic antitrust and maybe an advanced antitrust seminar. No school is going to offer any significant benefit over the other besides maybe a few key professors. The only school that may actually have a meaningful difference is Chicago. An entire framework of antitrust policy revolves around the scholarship that came from Chicago antitrust scholars. However, Chicago is very known for more libertarian and conservative economic policy that makes it so unique from every other school, which fall into the liberal side of the spectrum. So if Richard Posner is you idol, then sure, go to Chicago.

In the end the only way you're going to get into antitrust law is if you either go to a firm that will let you join their antitrust practice, which most of them are in DC, or you get into the honors program at DOJ or FTC. Either way, getting DC from OCI requires good grades, and government honors programs will typically take top 10% from a T2 before they'll dip below median at CCN. So really your only goal should be going to a good school and getting good grades.

The only school that there might be an exception to is GW, and I don't even think it applies anymore. One of the main antitrust professors was general counsel for the FTC and was also Commissioner of the FTC throughout his teaching tenure. Most GW grads at those government agencies or in antitrust practices in DC firms at least had some contact with him. However, now that he no longer works there, I don't know how much pull he has. Add in the fact that DC internships are significantly easier to get during Fall and Spring than in the Summer, so you can put in face time by externing during the school year.

postard

Postby postard » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:31 am

I think the "doesn't really matter" comments are probably about right, with a few exceptions. One might be for personal statements/interviews; you're going to seem like you really know why you want to go to X school if you are particularly attracted to a professor who teaches there.

Chicago, as was said above, is probably the only school where you might put your thumb on the scale if you were choosing between T-14s. They have had a tremendous influence on the way scholars/judges think about antitrust law.

Berkeley and Harvard also have pretty well known, and generally more liberal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltwater_ ... _economics) economists who teach at their law schools. Berkeley had 2 classes officially dedicated to AT this semester, and a few others where it came up as part of a broader course.

But, yeah, you want best Biglaw/BigGov chances, so if you can swing Chicago it'd probably get you as close to your goal as any school will. But, so would HYS, and conceivably some other T-14s.

also, fwiw, because my school had elective opportunities in my 1L year I was able to take a class in a practice area I was interested in, which helped me to build a narrative during interviews for why I was interested in the field w/o significant WE, and get a summer associate position in that practice area. It shouldn't be your primary concern, but don't completely throw the baby out with the bathwater once you get to lawl school. ETA: it didn't hurt that I did REALLY WELL in that class.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:35 am

If you're really into the law & econ theoretical side of enforcement and market control, University of Chicago is the commonly cited nexus, with Posner as a preeminent antitrust figure. For European competition law and policy, Columbia is arguably the best program (Bermann, who "wrote the book" on EU law, and Bradford, who coined the Brussels Effect, both teach/research there). For the widest range of coursework in the area overall, probably Harvard in sheer volume. But all schools will offer similar curricula in antitrust and competition law.

The above discussion is strictly scholastic. None of this matters unless you have a narrow legal scholarship interest in antitrust law, which applies to basically no one (and if you're really serious about this, probably tack on a Ph.D in Econ too). If you just want to work in enforcement at the SEC or on the defense side at a firm, highest placement/lowest debt ratio remains the only credited response.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”