Mercer University School of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
candlelight01
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby candlelight01 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:13 pm

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:I imagine that you've already got those locked up candlelight. :mrgreen:


Yes indeed. Any mercer grad will face stiff competition from me for those georgia para-fucking-legal jobs.

prach
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby prach » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:44 pm

fwiw, i've read horrible things about this school on jdunderground.

User avatar
sockpuppet
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:26 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby sockpuppet » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:49 pm

fwiw, i've read horrible things about this school on jdunderground.


Yes. But have you ever read anything about anything on there that was not horrible? This is the site that had an "Anal Beads" thread on the front page for weeks. I haven't been paying much attention to this, but I'd suspect at least some of the Mercer bashing on JDU is cross posting by the same people.

User avatar
neskerdoo
Posts: 599
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:13 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby neskerdoo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:05 pm

I think you've done more to harm the reputation of this school with your poorly worded post than I did with all of my posts combined.


this is for certain

User avatar
LawSchool2008
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:18 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby LawSchool2008 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:28 pm

How are the women in Macon?

worldpolicenow
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby worldpolicenow » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:57 pm

Hey isn't that Gauge? Hmmmmmmmmmm. Tartannnnnnn!!!!!!!

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby Corsair » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:39 am

..

User avatar
wakama
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:38 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby wakama » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:22 am

go into engineering

The Agitator
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:51 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby The Agitator » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:15 am

Wow, this thread has really been a disaster for Mercer Law. You have one poster who, while probably not presenting his views in the most polite manner, presented a strong case filled with facts and figures, only to be refuted by other Mercer poster's poorly-written rebuttals which were filled with hearsay and intimidation.

To top it all off, you have this incredibly sad public apology. It reminded me of a Maoist self-criticism.

Mercer 1L Fan
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:24 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby Mercer 1L Fan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:29 pm

FREE MERCER 1L. HE SPOKE THE TRUTH AND THE TOILETEERS ARE PUNISHING HIM FOR IT.

Seriously though, the backlash from this thread is really indicative of the "student quality" at Mercer LOL School.

sstar
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:23 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby sstar » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:39 pm

WOW! Just got through reading this thread. WOW!

Percy
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:50 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby Percy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:52 pm

I am a 2L at Mercer. Most of the assclowns posting on here are idiots. Now, I too am an idiot by association. Great.

My incentive for posting here is the fact that it seems that some of the posts on here may actually have an effect on a potential student’s decision to attend here. In many ways, choosing a law school is voodoo science. We can chart LSAT scores, job markets, etc; however, there is so much more we can’t quantify or neglect to take into account with the various rankings. The reality for the majority of students at any law school is that they will end up in the middle. This should make sense; the average student will be average.

I came to Mercer by choice. I went crazy during the application phase and applied to 50 of the schools on the USNEWS top 100 list. I was accepted by UGA, Duke, Northwestern, William & Mary, and a few others. I received full/partial scholarships to many T2 schools. Mercer was not one of them.

I visited every school that offered to pay for my travel expenses. When I visited Mercer, the faculty went out of their way to say hello to me, the students were friendly, and everyone I met seemed to believe they were part of a community. I did not have this experience anywhere else. Most of the schools I visited were either occupied by study-drones that were cut-throat competitive, had gigantic class-sizes, or had a faculty that was too busy to say “hi”. I ended up wanting the small school experience Mercer offered. I have not been disappointed.

Macon itself is a growing city and it has gotten better year by year. However, students choosing a college by the town in which it is in are doing a disservice to themselves. Lawschool is a place to study, not a place to party. You are not in undergrad anymore. This factor was my primary reason for not attending UGA or Duke (and the fact that Duke is a cesspool). These three years, more than any other three in your life, will have a dramatic impact on your future. Don’t waste it. Plus, Macon has a thriving downtown. The first Friday of each month there is a city-wide party and most of the law school comes out for it. http://www.newtownmacon.com/first-friday.html

Moreover, Mercer itself is expanding and adding lots of cool amenities for its students: http://www.collegehillcorridor.com/

The same people who say there is nothing to do in Macon are the same people who would say there is nothing to do in Atlanta, Athens, New York, Charleston, L.A., and wherever else they may be. And, that is normal. Think about how much there was to do in your hometown for proof of this theory. The place is what you make of it.

Now, I am in the top 10% of my class. Career Services has not been very helpful to me either. To echo the point of people above me, there are not enough jobs for lawyers right now. Think about it. When the economy starts to tank, undergraduates begin to flock to graduate school in higher numbers because they do not want to participate in a market that cannot afford to pay them what they believe they are worth. Therefore, you are not only competing against more people for legal work, you are competing against more qualified people as well.

Simply put, the biglaw recruiters are not calling Mercer (or anyone else for that matter) begging for its students. It takes effort to get their attention. Further, it is important to recognize that OCI only provides about 10-20% of positions, nationally, for current law students. So, don't rely completely on that venue for finding summer employment. In fact do not rely on any one method to find a summer job. You have to read your Career Services Manual and use http://www.martindale.com/ to help pound the pavement and get your resume in front of people.

For those who feel that Mercer is the catchall for the failures: you are absolutely incorrect. Some of the smartest people I have met attend Mercer. I get my ass handed to me on a regular basis and I just cannot believe the sheer intelligence of some of these people. I am putting everything I have into my work and studies and still cannot beat many of my peers.

Finally, for those who are offended by the reaction of the original poster’s classmates, I would like to offer some perspective. Mercer Law is an extremely tight community of students. We are not as competitive as other schools and everyone is expected to work as hard as possible. See, e.g. http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... rev-2.html demonstrating that Mercer students study more than 85% of other top 100 schools. That said, the 1L class lost one of its peers in a tragic accident this year. During the same period that the rest of the school was grieving, ‘Mercer Law 1L’ was bashing the school, the faculty, and his fellow classmates. I completely understand the anger and betrayal they must feel; especially since this poster shared at least half of his classes with the student.

TTT 4 ME
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:24 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby TTT 4 ME » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:56 pm

wow, thanks for the response percy.

sstar
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:23 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby sstar » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:13 pm

[quote="Percy"]I am a 2L at Mercer. Most of the assclowns posting on here are idiots. Now, I too am an idiot by association. Great.

My incentive for posting here is the fact that it seems that some of the posts on here may actually have an effect on a potential student’s decision to attend here. In many ways, choosing a law school is voodoo science. We can chart LSAT scores, job markets, etc; however, there is so much more we can’t quantify or neglect to take into account with the various rankings. The reality for the majority of students at any law school is that they will end up in the middle. This should make sense; the average student will be average.

I came to Mercer by choice. I went crazy during the application phase and applied to 50 of the schools on the USNEWS top 100 list. I was accepted by UGA, Duke, Northwestern, William & Mary, and a few others. I received full/partial scholarships to many T2 schools. Mercer was not one of them.




I call bull on the highlighted.

BoaltTroll
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:33 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby BoaltTroll » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:30 pm

sstar wrote:
Percy wrote:I am a 2L at Mercer. Most of the assclowns posting on here are idiots. Now, I too am an idiot by association. Great.

My incentive for posting here is the fact that it seems that some of the posts on here may actually have an effect on a potential student’s decision to attend here. In many ways, choosing a law school is voodoo science. We can chart LSAT scores, job markets, etc; however, there is so much more we can’t quantify or neglect to take into account with the various rankings. The reality for the majority of students at any law school is that they will end up in the middle. This should make sense; the average student will be average.

I came to Mercer by choice. I went crazy during the application phase and applied to 50 of the schools on the USNEWS top 100 list. I was accepted by UGA, Duke, Northwestern, William & Mary, and a few others. I received full/partial scholarships to many T2 schools. Mercer was not one of them.




I call bull on the highlighted.


Yep. Percy is definitely a troll. If not a troll, he/she must be the most uninformed person on the face of the planet. Choosing Mercer Law over Duke (where average starting salary is 150K)? Possibly the worst mistake in law school history.

Mercer 1L Fan
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:24 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby Mercer 1L Fan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 pm

Assuming not flame, Percy belongs at Mercer for making such a retarded choice.

Percy
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:50 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby Percy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:42 pm

I should probably note, I ended up getting money after orientation. But, I wanted to emphasize it did not affect my decision to come.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby 06072010 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:13 pm

Finally, for those who are offended by the reaction of the original poster’s classmates, I would like to offer some perspective. Mercer Law is an extremely tight community of students. We are not as competitive as other schools and everyone is expected to work as hard as possible. See, e.g. http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... rev-2.html demonstrating that Mercer students study more than 85% of other top 100 schools. That said, the 1L class lost one of its peers in a tragic accident this year. During the same period that the rest of the school was grieving, ‘Mercer Law 1L’ was bashing the school, the faculty, and his fellow classmates. I completely understand the anger and betrayal they must feel; especially since this poster shared at least half of his classes with the student.


Let me address some of this. I'm not offended at the reaction of the OP's classmates. Everyone here should feel comfortable to post freely. However, I'm not sure how relevant the tragic loss of a classmate is to the argument that Mercer might not live up to the hype. Attacking the OP's assertions are one thing. Attacking the person making the argument (and going so far as to out him/her) is by no means justified.

Our school tragically lost two law students this year. However, because of this, I don't feel the need to out anyone critical of my law school. People are making huge decisions when they decide to attend a law school. A forum such as this provides an anonymous venue for discussion of schools on their merits.

I'm in law school to be a lawyer. Part of that is transforming the way you think to divide emotions from facts. The appropriate method to attack the OP's assertions -- which some have chosen to do -- is to counter what they said. Defending the outting of a classmate that had the expressed goal of harming that classmate's professional and personal reputation defies all logic to me. It's bullying plain and simple.

Percy
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:50 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby Percy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:28 pm

I disagree.

It is important to separate emotion from facts. The forthcoming outting of 'Mercer Law 1L' is a result of just how close the 1L class (and 2L and 3L) is. He is not a part of their community and they deserve to know who he is. Not to attack him, but to reach out to him and attempt to address his perceived shortcomings. Which, is all they are. Mercer may not enjoy the reputation of UGA or Duke, but that is not to say that Mercer has a bad reputation or is a bad school.

The problem is that there have been few, if any, facts presented on this board. At best, there has been anecdotal suppositions and knee jerk reactions, particularly from 'Mercer Law 1L'. I agree that tier 2 schools should be more forthcoming with their placement and pay successes. However, the facts that he has presented are absolutely erroneous.

A quick tour of http://www.law.mercer.edu/career/placement/index.cfm will demonstrate that.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby 06072010 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:37 pm

The forthcoming outting of 'Mercer Law 1L' is a result of just how close the 1L class (and 2L and 3L) is. He is not a part of their community and they deserve to know who he is. Not to attack him, but to reach out to him and attempt to address his perceived shortcomings.


This is so incredibly laughable that it's hard to even address it. They don't "deserve" to know who he is. They're entitled to nothing. He availed himself in an anonymous web forum to give his view of the school. Given the long tradition of anonymous speech in our country, it disturbs me that a law student would rather take to pure bullying tactics then to combat what he said in the forum he said it in. You may revel in how tight knit your community is, but at face value comments such as the ones you have made conjure up images of "mob" rather than images of "community."

Have you threatened to meet the posters critical of Mercer out by the bike racks? Similarly, are you a hollaback girl?

User avatar
Ludo
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby Ludo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:40 pm

Percy wrote: I came to Mercer by choice. I went crazy during the application phase and applied to 50 of the schools on the USNEWS top 100 list. I was accepted by UGA, Duke, Northwestern, William & Mary, and a few others. I received full/partial scholarships to many T2 schools. Mercer was not one of them.

Choosing William and Mary over Duke/NW is a choice. Choosing Mercer over Duke/NW is a mistake. You took a huge gamble with your career prospects because they paid attention to you at a weekend where the whole goal is to convince you to come?

Percy wrote: Most of the assclowns posting on here are idiots. Now, I too am an idiot by association. Great.

Nope. You're an idiot by your own accord.

User avatar
Harvey Dent
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:19 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby Harvey Dent » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:14 pm

I'm anxiously awaiting the next post here.

candlelight01
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby candlelight01 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:08 pm

Reading this thread is akin to being an eyewitness of the Great Circus Train Wreck of 1918.

Da Stain
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Postby Da Stain » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:27 pm

I'd be willing to bet the debt Percy would have taken on at Duke that he/she works in admissions.

When you pull this act next year, cut down on so many official looking links. It looks like, ahhhh, an admissions webpage.

Reading this thread has easily been the most enjoyable 30 minutes of my day. Thank you Mercer!!





Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests