Illinois vs WashU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hukchobo

New

Illinois vs WashU

Post by hukchobo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:32 pm

Last edited by hukchobo on Fri May 02, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Re: Illinois vs WashU

Post by AMilfordMan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:03 pm

UIUC 1L, went to UIUC for undergrad. Faced a similar decision last year.

I'm with you that WashU just doesn't seem worth that extra debt (and that's what I decided for myself last year). No doubt, it makes all the difference in the world if you're right on the fringe of getting OCI offers, but all in all I'd say the schools offer very similar outcomes, have similar alumni networks (though it seems like UIUC has more of a presence in Chicago), yada yada...

As far as oversea prestige, I would actually argue against your point. No doubt some employers will look to USNWR to gauge the schools, but when you look at the overall campus and not just the law school, UIUC has a massive pull in Asia. There is a very good chance that most employers recruiting US workers will be as familiar, if not more, with UIUC compared to WashU.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Yeah it seems incredibly unlikely that the marginal increase in prestige could possibly be worth 70k here.

hukchobo

New

Post by hukchobo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:11 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:UIUC 1L, went to UIUC for undergrad. Faced a similar decision last year.

I'm with you that WashU just doesn't seem worth that extra debt (and that's what I decided for myself last year). No doubt, it makes all the difference in the world if you're right on the fringe of getting OCI offers, but all in all I'd say the schools offer very similar outcomes, have similar alumni networks (though it seems like UIUC has more of a presence in Chicago), yada yada...

As far as oversea prestige, I would actually argue against your point. No doubt some employers will look to USNWR to gauge the schools, but when you look at the overall campus and not just the law school, UIUC has a massive pull in Asia. There is a very good chance that most employers recruiting US workers will be as familiar, if not more, with UIUC compared to WashU.
thx for the reply.
im on my phone now apologies in advance for spelling grammar

youre right in that more ppl know uiuc esp since my countrys big into engineering but is it the same when law firms look at it? also, do u know anyone from your class who is gonna intern in asia during the summer?

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:35 pm

hukchobo wrote: My thoughts:
As of now, UofI seems like the correct choice but I'm not 100% sure. The couple of % points in biglaw placement that WashU has over UofI doesn't seem like it's worth $70k+ of debt.
You got it. Just stop there. I'm a WUSTLer and I would say UIUC no doubt. Notre Dame or Wash U (more presitgious schools) MAY be worth it if you can negotiate to a smaller difference. But for now:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Yeah it seems incredibly unlikely that the marginal increase in prestige could possibly be worth 70k here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

irish921

New

Post by irish921 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:38 pm

Illinois. No contest.

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:46 pm

hukchobo wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:UIUC 1L, went to UIUC for undergrad. Faced a similar decision last year.

thx for the reply.
im on my phone now apologies in advance for spelling grammar

youre right in that more ppl know uiuc esp since my countrys big into engineering but is it the same when law firms look at it? also, do u know anyone from your class who is gonna intern in asia during the summer?
UIUC 1L. Yes, we have a program with law firms and companies in Asia. A few of our classmates will be in Tokyo and Beijing this summer. I am not sure about Korea though.

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Even at equal prices WashU and UIUC are very, very similar. I'd go to UIUC to have an edge in Chicago, and WashU to have an edge on the coasts and in St. Louis.

Then again WashU's Law Building is about 5,000x nicer than UIUC's.

hukchobo

New

Post by hukchobo » Fri May 02, 2014 12:14 am

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm glad you guys validated my gut feeling. I'm still waiting for negotiations to end but if nothing changes I know where I'm going.

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Fri May 02, 2014 12:16 am

UIUC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”