Penn Levy vs. HLS Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you do?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:47 pm

Harvard
21%
Penn
79%

Total votes: 73

jayohtee

New

Re: Penn Levy vs. HLS

Post by jayohtee » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:02 pm

My father also became a judge in the 80's -- he was at Hale and Dorr (not technically WilmerHale), though many of his close friends remain partners there (and some of his former clerks are partners/counsel/associates there now, too). Judge's salaries don't lend themselves to contributing much to my tuition/living expenses. That said, between his income, my mother's and my own, we don't qualify for need based aid at HLS.

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:08 pm

A few years ago a cousin went to Penn and received a very nice scholarship. The thing is, she received it after she was actually in attendance … thus it came as a very nice surprise. I may be a bit off on this, but I thought it paid the first year in full and half the second year (in all sounds like it amounted to 50% off). If so, receiving a Penn JD for $60K is a pretty sweet deal. Is that the scholarship you’re discussing?

edit: turns out it was Silverman (saw it my archive email stack). While looking I saw some Penn pix she had sent...the place is overly impressive drop dead gorgeous.
Last edited by Dafaq on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:11 pm

Dafaq wrote:A few years ago a cousin went to Penn and received a very nice scholarship. The thing is, she received it after she was actually in attendance … thus is came as a very nice surprise. I may be a bit off on this, but I thought it paid the first year in full and half the second year (in all sounds like it amounted to 50% off). If so, receiving a Penn JD for $60K is a pretty sweet deal. Is that the scholarship you’re discussing?
Levy is full ride.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:39 pm

kartelite wrote:
Dafaq wrote:A few years ago a cousin went to Penn and received a very nice scholarship. The thing is, she received it after she was actually in attendance … thus is came as a very nice surprise. I may be a bit off on this, but I thought it paid the first year in full and half the second year (in all sounds like it amounted to 50% off). If so, receiving a Penn JD for $60K is a pretty sweet deal. Is that the scholarship you’re discussing?
Levy is full ride.
Pretty sure it doesn't include cost of living for three years. Ie, 60k.

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:53 pm

True, but I think the SA income would half that 60k or else put a big dent into one’s col. If they have a decent RA program you could add another 3k.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:02 pm

Bragging rights aren't worth six figure debt. Take the money and actually enjoy your starting salary as opposed to using it to service loans.

chneyo

Bronze

Post by chneyo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:21 pm

Last edited by chneyo on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:59 am

Don't be a fool. Take the money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”