UChi ($) vs NU ($$$) vs Cornell ($$$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Leo

Bronze

UChi ($) vs NU ($$$) vs Cornell ($$$$)

Post by Leo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:49 pm

Schools I'm Considering (and COA)
  • Chicago (85k)
  • Northwestern (27k)
  • Cornell (0)
Financing
Combination of loans and spouse's income

Currently in Chicago and will probably return to Chicago after law school

Career Goals
Patent law because I have a few years of experience in engineering
Last edited by Leo on Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 13 times in total.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Which T14?

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:53 pm

This is literally unanswerable, in my opinion, without info on COA.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:13 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:This is literally unanswerable, in my opinion, without info on COA.

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:22 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:This is literally unanswerable, in my opinion, without info on COA.
Granted. Will update OP when I have that info.

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:12 pm

Leo wrote:
Granted. Will update OP when I have that info.
I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts once you get money info - we have literally the same cycle so far. Expect a PM in the next few weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:57 pm

IIRC you've got a legit IP background so taking the money makes even more sense for you than it does for most people. Obviously we've got a ways to go and you should have a strong negotiating position, but when you make your final decision keep that in mind.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:14 pm

This is too preliminary. I think Chicago obviously matches your goals so I'll re-frame this - here are the scholarship numbers I think it would take for me to go somewhere over Chicago at sticker given your preferences. Note that for Columbia/NYU all being even Chicago is going to save you in COA so those numbers are a bit higher than they would be for someone with diff goals.

Harvard - Sticker-15k
Chicago - Sticker
Columbia - 45k
NYU - 45k-60k
Penn - 60-75k
Duke 75k-90k
Michigan - 90k-105k
Northwestern - 60k-75k
Cornell - 105k
GULC - Literally no scholarship high enough

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:26 pm

2014 wrote:This is too preliminary. I think Chicago obviously matches your goals so I'll re-frame this - here are the scholarship numbers I think it would take for me to go somewhere over Chicago at sticker given your preferences. Note that for Columbia/NYU all being even Chicago is going to save you in COA so those numbers are a bit higher than they would be for someone with diff goals.

Harvard - Sticker-15k
Chicago - Sticker
Columbia - 45k
NYU - 45k-60k
Penn - 60-75k
Duke 75k-90k
Michigan - 90k-105k
Northwestern - 60k-75k
Cornell - 105k
I disagree. I would not pick Chicago over Columbia or NYU if they are offering up to 60k. CCN all place similarly. You have Chicago ties. Just bid NYC and Chicago at OCI from those schools.

Anyway, this thread is pointless until you have all of your $ offers.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:20 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:IIRC you've got a legit IP background so taking the money makes even more sense for you than it does for most people. Obviously we've got a ways to go and you should have a strong negotiating position, but when you make your final decision keep that in mind.
Tiago, can you elaborate on this a bit more? I assume it's because a strong IP background would lead to a slightly higher chance at Big Law from a given school, meaning the employment-numbers vs money cost-benefit calculation is skewed a bit more toward that $$? CMIIW

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:29 pm

2014 wrote:This is too preliminary. I think Chicago obviously matches your goals so I'll re-frame this - here are the scholarship numbers I think it would take for me to go somewhere over Chicago at sticker given your preferences. Note that for Columbia/NYU all being even Chicago is going to save you in COA so those numbers are a bit higher than they would be for someone with diff goals.

Harvard - Sticker-15k
Chicago - Sticker
Columbia - 45k
NYU - 45k-60k
Penn - 60-75k
Duke 75k-90k
Michigan - 90k-105k
Northwestern - 60k-75k
Cornell - 105k
Christ you're a homer.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 pm

Someone coming to me telling me they already live in Chicago and want to go back to Chicago was too much of a softball. Allowed me to be less objective than my normal low threshold.

I think those numbers are defensible though.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:50 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:IIRC you've got a legit IP background so taking the money makes even more sense for you than it does for most people. Obviously we've got a ways to go and you should have a strong negotiating position, but when you make your final decision keep that in mind.
Tiago, can you elaborate on this a bit more? I assume it's because a strong IP background would lead to a slightly higher chance at Big Law from a given school, meaning the employment-numbers vs money cost-benefit calculation is skewed a bit more toward that $$? CMIIW
I don't think it's all that slight. Legit IP credentials, meaning you didn't just major in biology but have advanced degrees/work experience, make landing biglaw incredibly easy. I wouldn't go outside the T-14, but within it just take the money because it's extraordinarily unlikely you'll miss the biglaw boat from one school when you would have gotten it from another.
paglababa wrote: You have Chicago ties. Just bid NYC and Chicago at OCI from those schools.
This is a common response but I really think people who want Chicago should be careful about CLS/NYU. Neither Kirkland Chicago nor Sidley Chicago come to our OCI and those are two of the biggest players in the relatively small Chicago market. Nothing wrong with the New York schools if you'd be happy with NYC as a second choice but otherwise neither CLS nor NYU is likely to offer enough money for either one to make sense.

DrStudMuffin

Bronze

Post by DrStudMuffin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:07 am

Harvard - Sticker-15k
Chicago - Sticker
Columbia - 45k
NYU - 45k-60k
Penn - 60-75k
Duke 75k-90k
Michigan - 90k-105k
Northwestern - 60k-75k
Cornell - 105k
I'm struggling a little bit with the Harvard thing here. I may be reading this incorrectly, but I believe you're saying that in OP's position you would potentially go to Chicago even if Harvard was cheaper? I know you're a Chicago homer to the core, but this seems silly to me, especially given that OP mentioned Boston was in consideration too.

Also the Michigan-Duke difference doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. With OP's IP cred I don't think the marginal difference in biglaw placement matters as much, and Michigan is definitely better for Chicago than Duke.

The CLS/NYU thing does make sense though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:35 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:I don't think it's all that slight. Legit IP credentials, meaning you didn't just major in biology but have advanced degrees/work experience, make landing biglaw incredibly easy. I wouldn't go outside the T-14, but within it just take the money because it's extraordinarily unlikely you'll miss the biglaw boat from one school when you would have gotten it from another.
This bodes well for me then. Hopefully I'll have a post in the "choosing" sub-forum late next month when things pan out.

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:21 am

Thanks for all your great input so far everyone, especially 2014 for trying to quantify the problem. Again, sorry for posting this without COA figures; I am just very anxious about this decision because the deposit deadline for Northwestern's accelerated program, which I am very seriously considering, is in less than a month.

Tiago, you recalled correctly; I do have a solid technical background. Masters and several years of work experience in engineering.

Thanks again for your help and good luck to everyone still waiting for acceptances.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:23 am

Nelson wrote:

Harvard - Sticker-15k
Chicago - Sticker
Columbia - 45k
NYU - 45k-60k
Penn - 60-75k
Duke 75k-90k
Michigan - 90k-105k
Northwestern - 60k-75k
Cornell - 105k
Christ you're a homer.
Lol at Chicago being worth Harvard + 15k.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:40 am

wiz wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Harvard - Sticker-15k
Chicago - Sticker
Columbia - 45k
NYU - 45k-60k
Penn - 60-75k
Duke 75k-90k
Michigan - 90k-105k
Northwestern - 60k-75k
Cornell - 105k
Christ you're a homer.
Lol at Chicago being worth Harvard + 15k.
Pretty sure 2014 just fails at distinguishing minus signs from hyphens (and is using Chicago as the +/- baseline).

Meaning he thinks Harvard is worth Chicago + 15k in that post

Nothing to see here folks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:24 pm

With that background, I would take the highest scholarship in the t10 or NW. Biglaw should be easily obtainable.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:46 pm

Law Sauce wrote:With that background, I would take the highest scholarship in the t10 or NW. Biglaw should be easily obtainable.
Whats the difference between t10 and t14? Especially if you then qualify it with "or NU"

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:56 am

paglababa wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:With that background, I would take the highest scholarship in the t10 or NW. Biglaw should be easily obtainable.
Whats the difference between t10 and t14? Especially if you then qualify it with "or NU"
T10 because they would all be a fine choice. Added NU because he wants Chicago and it would also be a good choice. I wouldn't do Cornell or Gtown with the other options that are likely to come because Cornell is NY focused and Gtown just has lower employment numbers. Duke could be defensible. Either way, wait for more scholarships. Someone has to come close or beat 90k at Michigan for this to even be an issue imo.

Leo

Bronze

Re: UChi ($) vs Michigan ($$) vs NU ($$$) vs Cornell ($$$$)

Post by Leo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Bump

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sah

New

Post by sah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:30 pm

Use Cornell to bump NU higher - then go to NU. It's best for Chicago, and plus your spouse won't have to move.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:59 pm

Literally.

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:01 am

You're going to get IP biglaw (if you want it) at any of the schools you're considering. In your position, I'd take NU or Cornell. Your employment result is going to be essentially equivalent with any of the listed options, so you might as well go to school for free (or close). To the extent that you prefer Chicago to NY and you wouldn't have to uproot your life, NU seems like the best choice.

There is a reasonable argument for UChi if you want to keep your options open for academia. Other than academia, tho, I don't think your employment options will be any different at NU than they would be at UChi.

I don't think Michigan is in the running. If you're willing to go to the middle of nowhere, take the ridiculous Cornell offer.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:40 am

NU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”