Thoughts on Temple vs. Univ of Richmond Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zuckera1

New

Thoughts on Temple vs. Univ of Richmond

Post by zuckera1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:01 am

Hey everyone, I'd really appreciate some advice on these two schools. I'm a NJ resident and live 20 minutes outside of Philly. My LSAT is a 162 and my GPA is a 3.9.

So far I've been accepted to Drexel (full), Rutgers Camden (18k out of 22k, top 60%), Temple (30k out of 33k, top 2/3) and am waiting on 7 more schools. I received a call from the University of Richmond and was admitted, and am waiting to hear the scholarship offer from them.

What are your thoughts on the U of Richmond? What about Temple? The schools are similarly ranked, and if I get a near full-tuition offer from Richmond it will be tough to pass up.

Other schools I've applied to: Seton Hall, BU, George Mason, Maryland, Duke, UNC

Thanks so much for your advice!!!

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Thoughts on Temple vs. Univ of Richmond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:04 am

Please answer all of these questions to get the best advice possible:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=206299

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 am

There is almost no reason the same person should apply to both Temple and Richmond. Both schools are super regional. Where do you want to work?

Also, with that GPA you really should retake for a T14/full ride at a strong regional

zuckera1

New

Post by zuckera1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:09 am

BigZuck wrote:Please answer all of these questions to get the best advice possible:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=206299
Sorry about that BigZuck.

I'd rather stay local if I had the chance. COA at Temple would be about 30k total but would be financed out of savings. I've taken the LSAT twice (156 and 162). I'm interested in Tax Law for general career goals, and would accept a decent job (50-60k/year) if I couldn't do BigLaw.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:50 am

Temple is a decent bet for staying local. Biglaw placement is very low, and will only place you into the Philly market. They do alright with the local government gigs--better than the other Philly schools that are competing for those jobs. That's a pretty good price too, but I would drop out if you don't meet the stips. Richmond is not going to get you a job in the area. Just remember that there are still a significant number of Temple grads that don't find legal employment. Most of the 3Ls I've met from there do not have anything lined up at this point.

In other words, don't go to Richmond unless you want to work around Richmond. And even then it's probably not a great idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Temple seems like the way to go. They place pretty decently in PA. It's strictly a regional school but since you seem like you are sure of wanting to stay there, and it's going to be close to free, I think it's sounds like a really good fit.

Try to negotiate it up to a full and go to Temple. Not sure how Rutgers and Setan Hall place in PA but they may be decent options too with a full scholarship.

Edit: Sorry just saw you want biglaw. If you really want biglaw, you need to retake and go somewhere better. Temple or the other schools you listed will give you like a 2-3% chance of getting biglaw.
Last edited by LET'S GET IT on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Optimist Prime

Bronze

Post by Optimist Prime » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Last edited by Optimist Prime on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:35 pm

I'd retake again, but why no Nova? Those stips on the other schools are awful. I personally wouldn't attend any school that had a stip more strict than good standing.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Want to go to a T10? Retake. If not, Temple is a pretty good deal assuming you aren't set on biglaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”