Albany v. St.johns Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NYlawstudent

New

Albany v. St.johns

Post by NYlawstudent » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:36 pm

I found that these schools had comparable career statistics and that Albany is far less selective in admissions. Wouldn't that mean that it is easier to do well at Albany and easier to get a job out of there. I also found that Albany Law has OCI with some NYC firms. Albany Law has a higher compared with many schools and a median of just 153 you would think it would be an easier way to become a lawyer.
School median LSAT Employment Score
Albany 153 50
Brooklyn 163 49
Cardozo 162 53
Pace 154 48
St Johns 160 49

How do you explain such a flat line employment score? Given Albany's low LSAT median wouldn't you think it would be easier to be among the 50% with law jobs? On an interesting note Touro Law has a 50% employment score. How can Touro have the same employment score as Brooklyn. Touro is producing more lawyers!
Brooklyn jumps to 75% after 9 months while Touro's numbers cannot be found.

Which school offers a student the easiest way to become a lawyer in your opinion? Albany Law appears to have the same employment score and is less competitive.

I got a 160 LSAT and a 3.5 GPA and I am thinking that St Johns might be difficult and I might struggle to break median wheres I might be able to get into the top quartile at Albany since there 75th percentile LSAT is only a 157. Wouldn't it be better to be at the 25th percentile at Albany than median at St Johns?

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Albany v. St.johns

Post by rad lulz » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Unless you have a guaranteed job don't go to either bc the job prospects are bad

NYlawstudent

New

Post by NYlawstudent » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:41 pm

rad lulz wrote:Unless you have a guaranteed job don't go to either bc the job prospects are bad
Yea they both suck. I would be interested in finding class of 2007 stats before the recession

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:44 pm

echo radlulz's sentiment. these schools suck. retake or reevaluate law school.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:19 pm

Median or lower at either would probably be a death sentence in terms of being employed as a lawyer unless you have some connections.

Retake

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jay2716

Bronze

Post by Jay2716 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:54 pm

The problem is even if you are right and do better at Albany, you would have to kill it to be in good shape. Very few people are getting jobs from grade-conscious employers at these schools. Compared to better law schools, hustling, networking, connections and dumb luck are much more important. 25% and 75% are not going to be in a hugely different position as far as jobs are concerned at any of these schools, and unless your uncle is going to hire you after, you don't want to gamble that you're going to out luck or out hustle all the other people desperately trying to avoid unemployment.

You have a solid GPA and a descent LSAT. With your numbers, you almost certainly have the ability to improve that LSAT enough to get good options for NY.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:00 pm

NYlawstudent wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Unless you have a guaranteed job don't go to either bc the job prospects are bad
Yea they both suck. I would be interested in finding class of 2007 stats before the recession
Why in god's name would you want to do that?

Also those stats are essentially bullshit. They got sued for fraud.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:02 pm

I know I'm not answering the question you're asking, but how long did you study for the LSAT? And how hard did you study?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:05 pm

NYlawstudent wrote:Wouldn't it be better to be at the 25th percentile at Albany than median at St Johns?
I assume you mean 75th percentile at Albany. And yeah, that would be a better position to be in.

But its still a bad position to be in

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:11 am

Can we all just agree that none of these schools are worth attending without a full ride and move on?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:05 am

Assuming this is not a flame, becoming a lawyer is not that difficult. It's just expensive and a pain. Becoming an EMPLOYED lawyer that is able to make a comfortable living is extremely hard out of either of these schools.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:44 pm

Jay2716 wrote:The problem is even if you are right and do better at Albany, you would have to kill it to be in good shape. Very few people are getting jobs from grade-conscious employers at these schools. Compared to better law schools, hustling, networking, connections and dumb luck are much more important. 25% and 75% are not going to be in a hugely different position as far as jobs are concerned at any of these schools, and unless your uncle is going to hire you after, you don't want to gamble that you're going to out luck or out hustle all the other people desperately trying to avoid unemployment.

You have a solid GPA and a descent LSAT. With your numbers, you almost certainly have the ability to improve that LSAT enough to get good options for NY.
Your saying Law Firms don't care about your grades??

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:58 pm

john1990 wrote:
Jay2716 wrote:The problem is even if you are right and do better at Albany, you would have to kill it to be in good shape. Very few people are getting jobs from grade-conscious employers at these schools. Compared to better law schools, hustling, networking, connections and dumb luck are much more important. 25% and 75% are not going to be in a hugely different position as far as jobs are concerned at any of these schools, and unless your uncle is going to hire you after, you don't want to gamble that you're going to out luck or out hustle all the other people desperately trying to avoid unemployment.

lolwut?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:12 am

He's saying short of stellar grades the law firms won't be impressed, and even if you're top of the class you'd still have to deal with many NYC firms who just don't want Albany on their website. St. John's is objectively better for NYC and they have people at most NYC firms, but most St. John's alumni are not ever going to get these jobs or pay off sticker debt in law. But it's literally like comparing the differences b/w a size 10 dress and size 16 dress for Ms. America - a full figured woman can be stunning and an obese one won't be, but most size 10's won't compete with a size 4.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:00 am

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:16 am

Jay2716

Bronze

Post by Jay2716 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:54 am

john1990 wrote:

No, im saying not all legal employers do. Personal injury sweat shops that hire Albany grads dont really care about grades. They hire off of networking and connections. Employers who care about pedigree use a combination of school and grades to evaluate a candidate. Those emplyers arent hiring Albany grads below the very top. Im saying that at a school like Albany, being 80th percentile is not a big boost compared to 20th percentile. Its not like the top half of the class there get jobs and the bottom half end up in the soup line-its probably closer to the top 5% get jobs and a little less than half of the remainder get jobs through networking, connections, and dumb luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:46 pm

Jay2716 wrote:Im saying that at a school like Albany, being 80th percentile is not a big boost compared to 20th percentile. Its not like the top half of the class there get jobs and the bottom half end up in the soup line-its probably closer to the top 5% get jobs and a little less than half of the remainder get jobs through networking, connections, and dumb luck.
This is TCR. Unless you're at the tippy-top, grades aren't a big selling point when you come from a school like Albany.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:09 pm

PepperJack wrote:He's saying short of stellar grades the law firms won't be impressed, and even if you're top of the class you'd still have to deal with many NYC firms who just don't want Albany on their website. St. John's is objectively better for NYC and they have people at most NYC firms, but most St. John's alumni are not ever going to get these jobs or pay off sticker debt in law. But it's literally like comparing the differences b/w a size 10 dress and size 16 dress for Ms. America - a full figured woman can be stunning and an obese one won't be, but most size 10's won't compete with a size 4.
lolwut

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Jay2716 wrote:
john1990 wrote:

No, im saying not all legal employers do. Personal injury sweat shops that hire Albany grads dont really care about grades. They hire off of networking and connections. Employers who care about pedigree use a combination of school and grades to evaluate a candidate. Those employers arent hiring Albany grads below the very top. Im saying that at a school like Albany, being 80th percentile is not a big boost compared to 20th percentile. Its not like the top half of the class there get jobs and the bottom half end up in the soup line-its probably closer to the top 5% get jobs and a little less than half of the remainder get jobs through networking, connections, and dumb luck.
This is illogical. There is a huge difference between the 80th and 20th percentile and employers would be interested. Otherwise why would students care. Graduating at the 80th percentile at Albany should be solid. There is no competition in Albany either

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:18 pm

^ lolwut?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:23 pm

stillwater wrote:^ lolwut?
What is the incentive for students to care about grades then. Why don't they just aim for 20th percentile and spend all there time at work and networking. Sounds like the 80th percentile for networking does well and that sounds easier than the 80th percentile for grades

Grades are very important for employment prospects, however, networking is important too. This is the same at higher law schools

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:26 pm

john1990 wrote:
What is the incentive for students to care about grades then. Why don't they just aim for 20th percentile and spend all there time at work and networking. Sounds like the 80th percentile for networking does well and that sounds easier than the 80th percentile for grades

Grades are very important for employment prospects, however, networking is important too. This is the same at higher law schools
I'd call you a troll but I don't think you are intelligent enough.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:28 pm

nebula666 wrote:
john1990 wrote:

You cannot believe that there is a law school or college of any kind where grades are not important. I would call you a troll but its fuckobvious

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:29 pm

john1990 wrote:
nebula666 wrote:
john1990 wrote:

You cannot believe that there is a law school or college of any kind where grades are not important. I would call you a troll but its fuckobvious
Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. Not Albany.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”