UC Hastings vs UC Davis

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby Moonlight » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:20 am

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:37 am

Davis is better

Neither are reasonable options without close to a full ride


Davis wrote:•61.4% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. 0.5% of these jobs were school-funded jobs.
•70.8% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•71.3% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=davis

Hastings wrote:•46.3% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs.
•59.8% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•57.8% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=hastings

eaternation
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby eaternation » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:40 am

If I had to choose between the two id prob choose davis. Cheaper rent (col). Slightly better employment numbers. U could also try to hustle your way into a non legal gov job in sacramento.

If you aren't big law focused and have a large scholarship, it could be worth it

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:59 am

Neither. Retake.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:25 am

Nova wrote:Davis is better

Neither are reasonable options without close to a full ride.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby phillywc » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:48 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Nova wrote:Davis is better

Neither are reasonable options without close to a full ride.

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby californiauser » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:27 pm

Depends. Do you want to be a paid lawyer? If yes, neither.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby nebula666 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:03 pm

californiauser wrote:Depends. Do you want to be a paid lawyer? If yes, neither.


Yeah because those 61% from Davis are being paid in chocolate coins and monopoly money.


Davis with a good scholarship is not a bad option if you don't want biglaw.

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby californiauser » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:15 pm

nebula666 wrote:
californiauser wrote:Depends. Do you want to be a paid lawyer? If yes, neither.


Yeah because those 61% from Davis are being paid in chocolate coins and monopoly money.


Davis with a good scholarship is not a bad option if you don't want biglaw.


50k yearly tuition for a 60% chance of getting any job is a terrible deal. OP did not disclose any scholarship information, so i'm working on the assumption that he's considering paying sticker cost. Davis at 100k+ cost is absurd.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:20 pm

californiauser wrote:50k yearly tuition for a 60% chance of getting any job is a terrible deal. OP did not disclose any scholarship information, so i'm working on the assumption that he's considering paying sticker cost. Davis at 100k+ cost is absurd.

OP hasn't been accepted to either.

their numbers are 160/3.7 tho

so they should retake for money

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9653
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Really? There's a relatively recent thread on this exact subject. Search around a bit and read through the responses - we don't need another here.

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby apollo2015 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:36 pm

I was considering west coast schools too, and decided on Hastings. Between Davis and Hastings, Davis is really pretty (and if you have kids, it is a better place to raise them), but its too far from San Francisco. Also, a big factor in favor of Hastings is the opportunity to live in the Tower. It is half a block from the campus, and about 1/3rd of the Hastings students live in it. The tower is fantastic for networking, socializing, and giving you more hours in each day due to the lack of a commute.

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby Moonlight » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:48 pm

apollo2015 wrote:Also, a big factor in favor of Hastings is the opportunity to live in the Tower. It is half a block from the campus, and about 1/3rd of the Hastings students live in it. The tower is fantastic for networking, socializing, and giving you more hours in each day due to the lack of a commute.


I tried really hard to think of a worse reason for attending a school, but sadly I could not. Forgive me.

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby Moonlight » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:49 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:55 pm

phillywc wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
Nova wrote:Davis is better

Neither are reasonable options without close to a full ride.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:55 pm

Yu

See

HasTTTTings.

LOL


BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby BigZuck » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:01 pm

apollo2015 wrote:I was considering west coast schools too, and decided on Hastings. Between Davis and Hastings, Davis is really pretty (and if you have kids, it is a better place to raise them), but its too far from San Francisco. Also, a big factor in favor of Hastings is the opportunity to live in the Tower. It is half a block from the campus, and about 1/3rd of the Hastings students live in it. The tower is fantastic for networking, socializing, and giving you more hours in each day due to the lack of a commute.


But you agree that Hastings isn't really worth attending, yes?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:44 pm

YU SEE HASTTTTINGS?!

Image

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby californiauser » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:58 pm

apollo2015 wrote:I was considering west coast schools too, and decided on Hastings. Between Davis and Hastings, Davis is really pretty (and if you have kids, it is a better place to raise them), but its too far from San Francisco. Also, a big factor in favor of Hastings is the opportunity to live in the Tower. It is half a block from the campus, and about 1/3rd of the Hastings students live in it. The tower is fantastic for networking, socializing, and giving you more hours in each day due to the lack of a commute.


Located in the worst neighborhood in SF. There are plenty of other, better schools where you can live close to other students.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby 20160810 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:47 am

SF rent is a three-year ass-reaming. I paid about $500/mo for my own room in a decent place in Davis. The difference in rent alone could plausibly add up to ~$30,000 over three years, which is non-trivial.

There's an idea that Davis gets you stuck in Sacramento, which is pretty dumb. The same firms generally interview at both schools, and Sac firms are reluctant to hire people without ties to the area from either Davis or Hastings.

Also, firms use *the exact same GPA cutoff for both schools* which means that if you want a firm job and you're dead-set against retaking, it literally doesn't matter which one you pick.

FWIW, I went to Davis, had a blast, and now I have a pretty decent job despite good but not stellar grades. I'm sure a comparable experience from Hastings is equally possible, but I will say that professors from Davis went out of their way to help me get a SA gig and my first job out of law school, so I owe them a debt of gratitude. The faculty is really a high point at UCD, but again, I've never taken so much as a single class at Hastings, so it's not as if I really have a frame of reference here.

TLDR: I liked Davis, but you may as well just flip a coin.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:02 am

SBL wrote:SF rent is a three-year ass-reaming. I paid about $500/mo for my own room in a decent place in Davis. The difference in rent alone could plausibly add up to ~$30,000 over three years, which is non-trivial.

There's an idea that Davis gets you stuck in Sacramento, which is pretty dumb. The same firms generally interview at both schools, and Sac firms are reluctant to hire people without ties to the area from either Davis or Hastings.

Also, firms use *the exact same GPA cutoff for both schools* which means that if you want a firm job and you're dead-set against retaking, it literally doesn't matter which one you pick.

FWIW, I went to Davis, had a blast, and now I have a pretty decent job despite good but not stellar grades. I'm sure a comparable experience from Hastings is equally possible, but I will say that professors from Davis went out of their way to help me get a SA gig and my first job out of law school, so I owe them a debt of gratitude. The faculty is really a high point at UCD, but again, I've never taken so much as a single class at Hastings, so it's not as if I really have a frame of reference here.

TLDR: I liked Davis, but you may as well just flip a coin.


How much did you pay in tuition at Davis? What was your debt at graduation? How many of your classmates have jobs that can service their debt?

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby 20160810 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:04 am

BigZuck wrote:
SBL wrote:SF rent is a three-year ass-reaming. I paid about $500/mo for my own room in a decent place in Davis. The difference in rent alone could plausibly add up to ~$30,000 over three years, which is non-trivial.

There's an idea that Davis gets you stuck in Sacramento, which is pretty dumb. The same firms generally interview at both schools, and Sac firms are reluctant to hire people without ties to the area from either Davis or Hastings.

Also, firms use *the exact same GPA cutoff for both schools* which means that if you want a firm job and you're dead-set against retaking, it literally doesn't matter which one you pick.

FWIW, I went to Davis, had a blast, and now I have a pretty decent job despite good but not stellar grades. I'm sure a comparable experience from Hastings is equally possible, but I will say that professors from Davis went out of their way to help me get a SA gig and my first job out of law school, so I owe them a debt of gratitude. The faculty is really a high point at UCD, but again, I've never taken so much as a single class at Hastings, so it's not as if I really have a frame of reference here.

TLDR: I liked Davis, but you may as well just flip a coin.


How much did you pay in tuition at Davis? What was your debt at graduation? How many of your classmates have jobs that can service their debt?

(1.) Nothing, (2.) Not a lot, (3.) I don't know, but not enough.

I'm not saying it's a lovely idea to borrow $200,000 to go to UCD. I'm just saying that if you're dead set on picking one of these two schools, it's a coin toss.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:10 am

SBL wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
SBL wrote:SF rent is a three-year ass-reaming. I paid about $500/mo for my own room in a decent place in Davis. The difference in rent alone could plausibly add up to ~$30,000 over three years, which is non-trivial.

There's an idea that Davis gets you stuck in Sacramento, which is pretty dumb. The same firms generally interview at both schools, and Sac firms are reluctant to hire people without ties to the area from either Davis or Hastings.

Also, firms use *the exact same GPA cutoff for both schools* which means that if you want a firm job and you're dead-set against retaking, it literally doesn't matter which one you pick.

FWIW, I went to Davis, had a blast, and now I have a pretty decent job despite good but not stellar grades. I'm sure a comparable experience from Hastings is equally possible, but I will say that professors from Davis went out of their way to help me get a SA gig and my first job out of law school, so I owe them a debt of gratitude. The faculty is really a high point at UCD, but again, I've never taken so much as a single class at Hastings, so it's not as if I really have a frame of reference here.

TLDR: I liked Davis, but you may as well just flip a coin.


How much did you pay in tuition at Davis? What was your debt at graduation? How many of your classmates have jobs that can service their debt?

(1.) Nothing, (2.) Not a lot, (3.) I don't know, but not enough.

I'm not saying it's a lovely idea to borrow $200,000 to go to UCD. I'm just saying that if you're dead set on picking one of these two schools, it's a coin toss.


I guess that's where we differ. I think that's a dumb false dichotomy and I can't in good conscience suggest that either are anything but a bad decision. Cuz math and probabilities and stuff.

Different strokes for different folks.

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: UC Hastings vs UC Davis

Postby apollo2015 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:46 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:Also, a big factor in favor of Hastings is the opportunity to live in the Tower. It is half a block from the campus, and about 1/3rd of the Hastings students live in it. The tower is fantastic for networking, socializing, and giving you more hours in each day due to the lack of a commute.


I tried really hard to think of a worse reason for attending a school, but sadly I could not. Forgive me.


Being social is important, as is saving time.

Moonlight wrote:And yea I haven't been admitted to either yet. I've been admitted to other Bay Area schools with Dean's Fellowships though. Hastings releases admissions in January usually right? I assume same is true of Davis?


Congratulations! If USF is one of them, I recommend checking with them regarding their student housing options for law/grad students. I think they have only a limited amount of housing available, so I'd look into that ASAP.

And yes, Hastings starts releasing regular decision acceptances in January. Acceptances come out later too depending on when one applied.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FutureLitigator, Google [Bot] and 3 guests